>>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>>

Wow, this is turning out to be the coolest rat-rodded/customized/roadster/SS/fiets ever built! 8)
The colour looks awesome with the Schwalbes and black seatpost/bars, and your attention to detail, (like with the hardware angles) is VERY cool.
It's one of those bikes where at first glance everything just looks...right.
Really nice job -

That's what you started with :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Forgot about that...talk about a transformation :shock:

oxyjansen said:
Well, here's another option: I know you said you don't weld, but I'm sure someone could help with this. Anyway, you could clip another set of dropouts off a different bike, weld them back a bit from your current drop outs, and then cut the backs out of the original drop out to buy yourself some more space. There are a few companies making dropouts for bike builders, and you could always pick some up too, but I know $$ is a factor here. You could try drilling and tapping another set of dropouts on the bike, and maybe even cutting out a set yourself using the current dropouts for a template. An even better idea (I'm full of them today) would be to get your hands on some rear entry horizontal dropouts and replace the current front entry ones you have. Then, you can get some cheap chain tugs and actually have a means of adjusting the rear wheel too. Welding in either scenario should be minimal for anyone with a mig welder. Again, drill and tap may be an option.

Thanks. Great advise and tips. Definately will keep it in mind. The things I would do will be in this order:
- Cut the chain to the 'right' length. Maybe it'll fit! ...if not:
- I'll try to find a half link. That should fix the problem instantly. Maybe I'll go for the full half link chain cause I like the look.
- MAYBE I'll try my hands at cutting dropouts myself. I've seen guys just bolting em on. Don't know if that is a smart thing to do, but I've never heard negative things about it.

Another option:
- keep it like it is... I know it isn't as tight and smooth as a regular singlespeed, but this bike is different. I feel that the derailerwheel adds to the hotrod-vibe, which is more important to me than the singlespeed-vibe btw. It looks kinda different, and it sounds cool, but most of all it's something I made myself and works perfectly!

Hammond Eggz said:
Wow, this is turning out to be the coolest rat-rodded/customized/roadster/SS/fiets ever built! 8)
The colour looks awesome with the Schwalbes and black seatpost/bars, and your attention to detail, (like with the hardware angles) is VERY cool.
It's one of those bikes where at first glance everything just looks...right.
Really nice job -

Thanks man! You mention 'fiets'!!! :shock: hahah...
Yeah... The teal metalic color looks perfect on the bike in its most simple configuration with just the creme tires and black accents... But adding more black like the massive fender (sort-of) the original color becomes less appealing. Thanks for the nice words. I like building 'hotrods' that are 'just right'. :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That's what you started with :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Forgot about that...talk about a transformation :shock:

Hahah, yup that's right. I just knew the bike had the right proportions. Thanks!

gazelle_cartboardtracker.jpg

^ My Cartboardtracker and my Billet Bullet. This is what happens to your builds if you share the shed/shop/garage...

That 'black' on the seat isn't a shaddow, it's the seat. The rest is covered in sawdust... :x

Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> Halibrand knock-offs

gazelle_23_b.jpg

gazelle_23_a.jpg

Hahah, made you look! :p

Well, actually the butterfly wingnuts did remind me of those Halibrand knock-offs... So I COULD leave em on. I'm just afraid someone steals em just for fun...

Had to replace the regular wheelnuts because I ruined them. I have a hard time finding right-sized replacements. (older, smaller nuts than usual. Odd threadpattern also...)

Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> Halibrand Knock-Offs added!

Gah!! You did make me look!! I was thinking the other day that a set of car knockoffs might look cool on a bike if done right.....I'm thinking about making a set :p

Love the wingnuts! just looked into getting some for myself. Better than carrying a wrench!

I recently gave away a road bike that had those wingnuts on it, it's the only thing I wish I had kept on that bike.

yoothgeye said:
I recently gave away a road bike that had those wingnuts on it, it's the only thing I wish I had kept on that bike.

I just got an awesome deal on 15 pairs! There's a guy doing a sale on Ebay today only. Its Lava Cycles, or search for wing nuts in Cycling.

deur_b_5.jpg

Remember the paint splash on my trousers..?

deur_b_6.jpg

^ Here's part II... :(

I try to work neatly, I really do... Good thing I came prepared. Those are very cheap Allstar knock-offs, but I love wearing them. Beause they're cheap I've been using them for doing paintjobs. Not a drip on them. ...Until now...

I had to work on the garagedoor again. My partner in crime is on vacation so I had to finish our painting by myself.

deur_b_7.jpg

^ in progress (left); Done (right)

And just look at the stupid European car ...stealing my wingnut-idea... :wink:

But I didn't expect so much possitive feedback on the wingnuts. I know I liked them before on my cartboardtracker, but I've never considdered them on this build. Before work I went to this quaint little local bicycle shop run by two filthy brothers... One of em is nice and was pickin his nose. The other not so nice but clean. The nice one had helped me before with a brakelever that I wasn't able to find for weeks, and also today it was him who came to the resque. He got me some acorn nuts of the right size. I was going to swap the wingnuts, but after all the positive feedback I think I'm leaving em on for a while... 8)

Thanks guys!

Yes, that's an antique Jaguar!

Really nice paint on the doors of the building! Fits in perfect with the old brick!

Thanks guys.
The painting is an 'ad' we designed for an upcomming streetart event.

The 'stupid European car stealing my wingnut-idea' was indeed an old Jag. Nice. You don't see those too often... But that's one of the fun extras you get from workin outside downtown. Every now and then an exotic will drive by. I saw a Plymouth driving by painted to be copy of one of Petty's 43s. Ran with open pipes and scared the heck out of me... Yesterday was also the first time I saw one of them new Challengers. Pretty awesome sight on our tiny European streets.

I have to add that the wingnuts look awesome. It's another one of those details that you do which really adds a lot (like the acorn nuts on your fenders versus some plain rivets).

I love E type Jags. There is a new one coming out.

Nice sign work. I like the spatter-painted shoes. Maybe that's an another idea for a bike...

oxyjansen said:
Love the wingnuts! just looked into getting some for myself.

MplsCoaster said:
I have to add that the wingnuts look awesome. It's another one of those details that you do which really adds a lot (like the acorn nuts on your fenders versus some plain rivets).

^ +1

I really like to whole transformation you've done to this bike! It's looking very good... And your fenders are great - fantastic idea!

My build is shaping up with an english sportscar theme, so I've been looking for knock-offs made for a bicycle. I found some, but to get a set of 4 would blow a whole month's hobby budget... :oops:

http://www.statussuspension.com/lowride ... -26-2.html

MplsCoaster said:
Nice sign work. I like the spatter-painted shoes. Maybe that's an another idea for a bike...

Thanks.
The wingnuts is just one of those lucky unintentional shots. They were the only replacementnuts I had... They are smaller than usual wheelnuts so they fit perfectly on the frontwheel that has exactly the same size.. I don't have wingnuts for the rearwheel though... So I'm not to sure if the will end up on this bike.

Haha, the splatterpaint reminded me of tacky 80's mountainbike paintjobs... :?

Three-Wire said:
I really like to whole transformation you've done to this bike! It's looking very good... And your fenders are great - fantastic idea!
My build is shaping up with an english sportscar theme, so I've been looking for knock-offs made for a bicycle. I found some, but to get a set of 4 would blow a whole month's hobby budget... :oops:

http://www.statussuspension.com/lowride ... -26-2.html

Thanks.
I'd go for regular bicycle knock-offs if I were you. I think they'll fit your bike better than the three-spoke car-like knock offs... Maybe you can make two-spoke (british-style) knock-offs yourself from pieces of aluminum. (if your able to find that stuff cheap...) They don't have to function ofcourse... Just use em as deluxe washers... 8)

ga_toch_fietsen_1.jpg

^ GA TOCH FIETSEN! (Go ride a bike!)

One of the earliest forms of graffiti in Holland was the anarchistic 'Go ride a bike!' It was aimed at the automobiledrivers and found everywhere in Holland. This one was dated 1964 and can still be found in the The Hague-area.

Latest posts

Back