Cannondale: Mo Gears = Mo Problems

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This unwanted 700c Hybrid Cannondale showed up at my house one day. The friend asked me to take a look at it and asked if it’s worth fixing for “cheap” or sell it?
IMG_5162.jpeg

I guess it wasn’t worth upgrading. I tried selling the bike for a couple weeks, the ad expired and I gave my friend $40 for it plus a tune up on his other bike. Done deal. I tucked it away until a few months later I decided to build a 700c Gravel Bike!
I love the way these bikes look, light yet a little dangerous.

IMG_6981.jpeg

I started the breakdown and mocked up a road bike, just looking at it made my back hurt. It was a no-go!
IMG_5190.jpeg

In the meantime I found myself a nice real cheap 700c donor bike. Tourney groupset with a nice clean rim brake wheelset. Only issue was that the rear hub was a 7-spd freewheel. I wanted to initially build it as a 1x with 10+ gears, but for now I moved on with a 1x7 build.
Order/Buy List:
Tires 700x45
V Brakes
Shifters w/brakes
Cables and housings
All other parts I either had laying around or came off the donor.
Once I knew I didn’t like the drop bars I decided to go with a straight bar gravel build. Once I threw it all together I fell in love with the bike and I knew it had a forever home in the garage.

IMG_6585.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg

I rode it so much I even took it camping a few times.
IMG_5343.jpeg

The longer rides that I started going on started to hurt my lower back again. Time to adjust my riding style. Bought some knock off Jones H Bars for a more upright position while riding. It worked, the backsweep on the bars were enough.
IMG_6703.jpeg

That’s currently where I sit on this ongoing build.
I plan on swapping on the saddle to brooks b17 in the near future.

Now that I have a great rider time to build my forever bike. I’ve been researching group sets and am thinking about this eBay set. It’s reasonably priced. Not much changes if you go with 10, 11 or 12 speeds.

Shimano Deore 1x10.
IMG_6982.jpeg

Question for the crowd, do Mo Gears = Mo Problems? The hub upgrade will undoubtedly happen but are there down sides to choosing anything over 10 gears?

Ride style for this bike are long bike path rides, street, commuter, boardwalks and occasional dirt gravel patches.

That’s the first couple questions.

I am the search for matching hubs now for the current wheelset I have.
36h rim brake set.

Here’s the next set of questions.

Are mtb hubs> road bike hubs for the type of riding I’ll be doing?

Is there a hub you recommend?

This bike deserved a proper build thread.

Hub width would depend on what width the rear drops are. Guessing thats 135mm mtb spacing so mtb hub.

Newer 10/11 speed drivetrains work flawlessly if you get a matching group set like that. I would also recommend replacing the front ring with a narrow/wide chainring.

Those are disc brake hubs in the pic. You should also only need to change the rear to a modern cassette hub.

Hub width would depend on what width the rear drops are. Guessing thats 135mm mtb spacing so mtb hub.

Newer 10/11 speed drivetrains work flawlessly if you get a matching group set like that. I would also recommend replacing the front ring with a narrow/wide chainring.

Those are disc brake hubs in the pic. You should also only need to change the rear to a modern cassette hub.
Yes 135mm spacing. I was looking at those hubs because they’ll still work on a rim brake, and I just want a nice matching XT set.

I did purchase the 12 speed version of the shimano deore groupset. The cassette accepts a HG free body so they’ll match up perfectly fine.

I’m considering picking up a set of Rhyno Lites and some DT spokes to button up the rebuild.

Will it ever be done?

Back