>>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>>

herr_rudolf said:
Oh yeah!
Dem rait, I'm in it to win it! ...and not afraid to say so. :wink: I think in a contest everybody should be aiming at 1st place and really, it doesn't matter that I know for sure that I won't win. With all the cool frames, ideas and builds going on this year? ...I'll settle for just a few votes in the end. Speaking of... I'm by far not the only one that is aiming at 1st place.... 8)

Thanks guys. I really enjoy and appreciate your comments and input on my build.

You have a very nice looking bike!.........And 2nd place is NOTHING to be ashamed about. :roll: :lol:

KOTA said:
You have a very nice looking bike!.........And 2nd place is NOTHING to be ashamed about. :roll: :lol:

gazelle_wanna_race.jpg

:mrgreen:

Looks great but keep thinking if that front fender were just extended a bit, might give it a nice leaf springer look.

herr_rudolf said:
heheh...
I think the ratlecanfumes are slowly but surely melting our brains...

Thanks for the intervention, I'll lay off the fumes for a few minutes.

Man, that's a great look on the fenders. That said you've done a great job on the rest of this bike.

Keep up the good work.

Meh, fumes, no sleep, whatever it takes for you to get stumped on a detail, while the answer is staring you right in the face. I'm just sittin' around waiting for a chance to make one of those five word posts that goes with these things :arrow: :shock: :? :idea: :p :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

(Your smilies may be big, but I got 9 of 'em on this post alone.) :mrgreen:

We all know Nick is gonna win :mrgreen: Just think...a 13 year old would beat you all :shock: :lol: :lol:
Untitled.png

I'm just kidding :lol: Really liking this build :mrgreen: Tough color choice :shock: Diggin' the fender...very cool with the aluminum strap :wink: Also the imitation truss rods...COOL :mrgreen:

i always dig your builds because they are not what i build. its nice to see something different and i love the way you fab a lot of your stuff rather than bolt on. build on bro!!

Thanks Karfer...
Those compliments always mean a lot to me comming from guys like you who I considder top hotrod-bicycle builders on this forum. 8)

---

No real update except that I figured out how to attach the rearfender to the struts. A bit of grinding and bending and no it fits. Just some detailing. Cutting some screws and so on. No pics, except this one to remind me where the bike was comming from:

gazelle_recent_1.jpg

I just noticed looking at that latest photo that the fender supports are almost matching in the angle they are mounted, was this planned?

angles.jpg

I'm a little late in this discussion, but just wanted to share a post I just put on the discussion page, and a few other comments!

>>
"That's an amazing transformation from a real junker to a sweet single speed~ I might of driven by the bike on trash day and left it there, and here you've breathed a whole new life into it! Sweet job! I was on your thread the other day, but didn't look close enough at the aluminum strips you used for the rack. I'll take another look for sure!"

I'm going to strongly suggest getting a pintle chain for this bike (I know this was discussed on like page 3, but I'm slow, LOL)! The clean line of a straight unobstructed chain is all that's needed to make this bike perfect! Its just an amazing transformation of a dumpster basket case! Since the wheels are such a tight fit I personally would cut/grind the drop outs back a bit to make getting the wheel into the frame easier. In the case of using the 28" wheels less dropout isn't going to hurt anything.

As far as the comments on not having proper bike tools: I just got the Park AK-37 basic set (best of the 3 smaller sets offered) for $200 shipped from a vendor on Ebay. I'm happy to pass on the info. The bike tools are invaluable if your going to deal with anything even slightly modern. There are parts on some bikes that you literally would have to destroy to remove without the proper tools, if you can even get them to budge that is! The chain breaker presses are priceless and essential for breaking chains, and can be had for about $6. And, the pedal wrench is also invaluable for pedals with no clearance for a normal wrench! (can you tell i love my bike tools????) LOL (Oh, and no, I don't work for Park tools) LOL

yoothgeye said:
I just noticed looking at that latest photo that the fender supports are almost matching in the angle they are mounted, was this planned?

Almost too ashamed to admit it, but yes... :oops: I try to do that in my designs. I got those lines from the forks and seattube ofcourse. On a 'boring' frame like mine it is very important to focus on such details. ALthough I try to put the struts in different positions, they always end up paralell to other lines on the bike. Thanks for noticing :)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
We all know Nick is gonna win :mrgreen: Just think...a 13 year old would beat you all :shock: :lol: :lol:
I'm just kidding :lol: Really liking this build :mrgreen: Tough color choice :shock: Diggin' the fender...very cool with the aluminum strap :wink: Also the imitation truss rods...COOL :mrgreen:

@ Schwinnray69.
Thanks.
Shhhh... At the moment I'm still trying to bribe the stripers who work on DN's parts... :wink:

@ socal_jack
Cool, never thought of that. I could make a another with a tight bent making an eye for the leafspring, but then it would probably sit too high above the tire. I thought of putting a small spring in the space between the fender and the strutbrace that holds it in place...

@ Druggedonions.
Thanks!

@ oxyjansen
Thanks man!
You just came with a very valuable sollution (to a problem that is PROBABLY, but hopefully not going to exist) Cutting more room in the drop-outs!!! Such a simple sollution that makes me wonder why I hadn't thought of that... 8) Thanks a bunch!!

Tools..
I know. Good tools are invaluable... But everytime I start a build I say to myself: 'This is going to be your last, dagnabbit!!! You don't need to spend extra money on tools!' Like this one my other builds have been quite simple with no need for extra biketools. As I almost always don't want to get too deep into bikebuilding... :oops: I said it before and I say it again:
I'm not I a bikebuilder, I am a bike-restyler... :wink:

But you're absolutly right about the tools...

I just gotta say WOW on that transformation. I honestly thought you were messing with us or were gonna pull out your rule #1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)but you really brought it with that thing. Very cool. Love it!

Thanks man!
You just came with a very valuable sollution (to a problem that is PROBABLY, but hopefully not going to exist) Cutting more room in the drop-outs!!! Such a simple sollution that makes me wonder why I hadn't thought of that... 8) Thanks a bunch!!
I came up with this while contemplating deep-V rims for a Spaceliner. I need clearance to be able to put the tire on inflated, and really, who needs all that space in the drop out anyway! LOL

... :oops: I said it before and I say it again:I'm not I a bikebuilder, I am a bike-restyler... :wink:

LOL, that's just too funny! But, I suppose in reality very true as well. I thought about getting into frame building till i realized how much a frame jig, and all the resat of the tooling was. That sent me right into restyling 101!~

oxyjansen said:
I came up with this while contemplating deep-V rims for a Spaceliner. I need clearance to be able to put the tire on inflated, and really, who needs all that space in the drop out anyway! LOL

DIsappointment...
I thought you meant cutting more room into the dropouts for more room to get the wheel slighty further back. But I don't have enough material in the dropout area. So that's not going to happen... Cutting the lower part of the drop outs has it's benefits but I don't feel the need to do so.

oxyjansen said:
LOL, that's just too funny! But, I suppose in reality very true as well. I thought about getting into frame building till i realized how much a frame jig, and all the resat of the tooling was. That sent me right into restyling 101!~

I believe there are plans on these forums to DIY frame-jigs... Maybe not high-tech roadrace quality but certainly good enough for ratrodbikes... 8)

Petrohead said:
I just gotta say WOW on that transformation. I honestly thought you were messing with us or were gonna pull out your rule #1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)but you really brought it with that thing. Very cool. Love it!

Hahah, no way! Hotrodding is all about proving you CAN pollish a turd. Making 'art' out of what sane people call 'junk'. :wink: I'm just glad I'm able to see a beautiful base beyond ugly hardware, add-ons, and stickers. That bike already looked good in it's most simplest form, before my fenders. Actually, I think it looks better without my fenders :oops: But that would be too boring for a build-off...

DIsappointment...
I thought you meant cutting more room into the dropouts for more room to get the wheel slighty further back. But I don't have enough material in the dropout area. So that's not going to happen... Cutting the lower part of the drop outs has it's benefits but I don't feel the need to do so.

Well, here's another option: I know you said you don't weld, but I'm sure someone could help with this. Anyway, you could clip another set of dropouts off a different bike, weld them back a bit from your current drop outs, and then cut the backs out of the original drop out to buy yourself some more space. There are a few companies making dropouts for bike builders, and you could always pick some up too, but I know $$ is a factor here. You could try drilling and tapping another set of dropouts on the bike, and maybe even cutting out a set yourself using the current dropouts for a template. An even better idea (I'm full of them today) would be to get your hands on some rear entry horizontal dropouts and replace the current front entry ones you have. Then, you can get some cheap chain tugs and actually have a means of adjusting the rear wheel too. Welding in either scenario should be minimal for anyone with a mig welder. Again, drill and tap may be an option.

Back