>>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>>

Strings_and_steam said:
Hmmm I had an idea for colour scheme, pardon my paintshop skills, and messing with your concepts (plus throwing another wrench in things :roll: :oops: )

IMG_1900-1.jpg
Black & yellow black & yellow

Strings_and_steam said:
Hmmm I had an idea for colour scheme, pardon my paintshop skills, and messing with your concepts (plus throwing another wrench in things :roll: :oops: )

Guys guys!
you're not helping at all... I thought I had a hard time yesterday figuring out a colorscheme with just six options.. :wink:

Thanks guys, for your imput and effort. I think I like the lightblue and the dark purple has always been a favorite of mine, especially with whitewalls. As I said picking out a color is getting harder and harder...

eeny, meeny, mynie, moe

gazelle_20_a.jpg

^ My fender experiment.

I wanted sort of a wrap-around fender after bikes running just flat strips over the tires. I took a 26" fender of a bike and tried to put it over my 28". Tight fit, but the fender was too narrow. So instead of going with my original idea of just screwing a ribbed aluminum strip to the fender I split them in two...

gazelle_20_b.jpg

^ First bobbing the fender. The neighbours are gonna hate me for grinding, drilling, and sanding in the night... But during daytime I'm too busy with work to tinker with my bike...

gazelle_20_c.jpg

^ Then carefully draw a line in the middle. A grinder + concentration = two perfectly split halves...

gazelle_20_d.jpg

^ deciding on how wide the final fender has to be.

gazelle_20_e.jpg

^ Slightly bending a flat piece of ribbed aluminum and rounding it off. Brackets were made using a fenderbrace I made for a previous build that ended up not being used... Laying it all out to decide were to drill holes.

gazelle_20_g.jpg

^ And here we have the prototype fender!

gazelle_20_h.jpg

^ The underside.

gazelle_20_f.jpg

^ Not bad for a quicky. I had to change de design a couple of times causing more holes than eventually nessecary. So it's not up to my standard. Not neat enough :wink: I'm gonna make a another one and use this one as a template. I think eventually I want the fender to reach the chainstays. Oh, and in the end the whole fender will be painted black... 8)

Gotta get some sleep now! In about 5 hours I'm supposed to be back at daytime-work...

Thanks! I will check it in daylight and from a far in a few minutes... :?
I love the look of the aluminum, especially with that metalic teal paint, but it's going to be black as well as the rest of the fender. That'll probably give it a whole different look. More vintage, I hope...

gazelle_21_i.jpg

Thanks guys.
Can't tell enough what a joy it is working with aluminum. Especially after working with steel...
When I checked out what I did yesterday I decided to go one step further with the fenders. I really wanted to see how it'd look in black. So I refined everything. Both sides weren't equal in thickness, and the bob-job wasn't even either. I detailed the brackets making them round, as I did with the fenderstruts.

gazelle_21_a.jpg

^ FIrst try modifying struts. But I didn't like it that I had to unscrew the wheelnuts just to tinker with the fender...

gazelle_21_b.jpg

^ So I made em shorter and the holes smaller and use the mounting-eyes that came on the bike. Glad I hadn't cut em off already...

gazelle_21_e.jpg

^ Parts painted with a sating back hanging to dry up in the air.

gazelle_21_c.jpg

^ Still fresh, I couldn't wait for em to dry thoroughly so I took em off and carfully started to mount it all back together again. I don't recomend that, but that's how I always do stuff... :oops:

gazelle_21_d.jpg

^ Frontfender: 'a tribute to the trussrod' :wink:

gazelle_21_f.jpg

^ Topview.

gazelle_21_g.jpg

^ Sideview.

gazelle_22_j.jpg

gazelle_21_h.jpg

^ What do you guys think of the 'dome'-nuts? (can't remember the correct term...) Too much? Too kinky..? Not sure yet. I just had em laying around.

gazelle_22_k.jpg

gazelle_22_l.jpg

^ The bike how she sits now. I just haven't fastened the fender to the bike because I retought the way I wanted to mount it to the fenderbracesissybar.

I think it came out pretty much the way I wanted. And I like it. But all that blackness doesn't do the original color any good. So a paintjob is getting more realistic every time I take a look at the recent pics... Still thinking about the fender all the way through to the chainstays.

The fenders are excellent! That black really helps when you look at them, you can really enjoy the design and not get distracted by the different colors. Very VERY classy looking.

I call those nuts "acorn nuts" but that could be wrong too.

Some bicycle company is going to STEAL your ideas... Your bikes always have that WOW factor. (I wonder how those fenders would look like on a Salt Flats bike!) :lol:

Thanks Yoothgeye.

NL: dopmoer

EN: acorn nut
EN: cap-nut
EN: cover nut
EN: screw cap
EN: screwed cap
EN: blind nut

Definitie Nederlands: aan een zijde gesloten moer die tevens als dop fungeert
Definitie Engels: nut provided with a dome-shaped cover on its top.This dome is either integral with,or attached to,the nut and protects the screwed end of the shank.

KOTA said:
Some bicycle company is going to STEAL your ideas... Your bikes always have that WOW factor. (I wonder how those fenders would look like on a Salt Flats bike!) :lol:

That's for sure, after they've been reading my post about bills and lawyers... :shock:
Wow Kota! That is a compliment that definately is worth a lot to me... :D

Those fenders are not only beautiful, they´re so neat they look stock. And there´s the problem, they´re so nice we all want them :D

The fenders look great! Nice job on the detail of them.

They have a unique and classy look. Defintinely hot rod modivated too.

Dude, you ain't playing fair. that is one sic bike. great job, i like it. your in it to win.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

That layered rear fender is really cool. Some LED lights under the center strip would be look good.

Those fenders are not only beautiful, they´re so neat they look stock. And there´s the problem, they´re so nice we all want them :D

I'd buy 'em! Looking really nice, dude!

Gdcast said:

Haha, well what's stopping you to actually make em yourself? Maybe it seems hard and difficult but it really isn't. Go ahead, make me proud.

cman said:
That layered rear fender is really cool. Some LED lights under the center strip would be look good.

Great idea! But it won't help making my bike to look vintage though...

OUTLAW said:
Dude, you ain't playing fair. that is one sic bike. great job, i like it. your in it to win...

Oh yeah!
Dem rait, I'm in it to win it! ...and not afraid to say so. :wink: I think in a contest everybody should be aiming at 1st place and really, it doesn't matter that I know for sure that I won't win. With all the cool frames, ideas and builds going on this year? ...I'll settle for just a few votes in the end. Speaking of... I'm by far not the only one that is aiming at 1st place.... 8)

Thanks guys. I really enjoy and appreciate your comments and input on my build.

Latest posts

Back