rELEVENt SETBACK.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's too cold here in OH Falstaff. I'm getting zero action from it as well. It was hot out last time I used it. Stripper will be the same way. If it's cold it won't work nearly as well.
You know it was a hot day that I used the oven cleaner on my frame... :39:

I think it's too cold here in OH Falstaff. I'm getting zero action from it as well. It was hot out last time I used it. Stripper will be the same way. If it's cold it won't work nearly as well.
You're probably right, the stripper does get a few bubbles and the paint peels a little. Which is good, peeling means paint not powder.
have you tried carb or brake cleaner? That stuff works wonder on F'ing up paint.. There's a patch missing from my vw bug's appron from a mixture of carb cleaner and gasoline landing on it. You could always try airplane stripper too. Walmart has it.
I'm using airplane stripper, and yes. I've used everything on my shelf that eats paint.
Chad is probably right about it being cold, I sprayed oven cleaner on the Columbia tank. All it did was brighten the paint.

Shucks, I'm blushing.....Mama always said I could break a crowbar in a sandbox, but she didn't say nothing about bending one!

You're probably right, the stripper does get a few bubbles and the paint peels a little. Which is good, peeling means paint not powder.

I'm using airplane stripper, and yes. I've used everything on my shelf that eats paint.
Chad is probably right about it being cold, I sprayed oven cleaner on the Columbia tank. All it did was brighten the paint.

The airplane stripper is the way to go if you have paint. I had to heat up my hoops last night then hose them down with the oven cleaner and left them sit overnight. Didn't remove the anodizing but made it soft enough to scrub off with a scotch brite pad.

Small update
Two years later, finally got most of the paint off one rim. There has got to be an easier way to do this.
d11264b3f44127b32984e307dd17d042.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Nice going Falstaff....I'll be that little ridge makes it extra fun..you're getting close..time for some scotch brite on that one.

Nice going Falstaff....I'll be that little ridge makes it extra fun..you're getting close..time for some scotch brite on that one.
Yea, it's been tedious.
I'm going to work tomorrow and hope I'm not still on lay off, if I am I'll be back to work on these hoops.

I'm leaning toward bars down, with tank. But still gonna design a tank just because.

Waiting for UPS lady to bring my seat post, should be here in a couple hours. Then I can mock up my seat.

And this fork is interesting, I have to figure out how to adjust the spring tension. And I don't think I'm gonna paint it, I like how the bare fork looks against the patina of the frame.

Hopefully the die I ordered shows up before I leave, those spacers still bug me.

I think the bars look best down.
I also like the tank too

It's funny, I like the look of the bars flipped low and I like the looks of a seat set low too. But, then I start riding an realize that I need more leg extension so the seat goes up. And then I realize that I like to sit upright on my bike, so the handlebars go up too.

Bars down with tank looks GOOD!

Last edited:
Back