rELEVENt SETBACK.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny, I like the look of the bars flipped low and I like the looks of a seat set low too. But, then I start riding an realize that I need more leg extension so the seat goes up. And then I realize that I like to sit upright on my bike, so the handlebars go up too.

Bars down with tank looks GOOD!
And that's why I wanted a custom seat post.:thumbsup:
Soon as it gets here I'll mock it up to see where to adjust.

Seat post arrived.
e93bcaeec22a147472e95fae35664ddf.jpg
Looks good, nice solid post. Well done @Big Ape.
b994b029ab67073c7dd45a5d6bec6019.jpg
9a77c6f52c4839126cac1e1f9eaf26db.jpg

I didn't put on the grips I got from A.S.BOLTNUT, but the color is a close match to the seat.

I think this will work out well.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Good deal, it looks we actually planned it just for your build!

Good deal, it looks we actually planned it just for your build!
Yea, not to bad for me describing what I wanted and you figuring out what that was. When I get the bottom bracket in, I'll be able to figure out what height I need.

Thanks again.

Ok, so my skiptooth hub flange is smaller than the hub that was in the wheel.
I know there are online spoke calculators, but which is the most novice friendly?
you should still be abble to reuse them if your into cheating a little bit , i did this a couple of times , use small washers to compensate for the spokes being slightly to long , or using tall nipples to compensate for slightly smaller spokes , i usually just try it as is and look if ill be abble to tight them down , and change nipple by nipple if it needs ajustments , takes about a hour more tho , but saves you the price and time to order a box of spokes and all the calculations

Build is coming along well and bike is looking good! Hope to see it in person one day...:wink1: Rat on!

you should still be abble to reuse them if your into cheating a little bit , i did this a couple of times , use small washers to compensate for the spokes being slightly to long , or using tall nipples to compensate for slightly smaller spokes , i usually just try it as is and look if ill be abble to tight them down , and change nipple by nipple if it needs ajustments , takes about a hour more tho , but saves you the price and time to order a box of spokes and all the calculations
I thought about using longer nipples, that should work for the back.
The front is different, I don't want to use hub that came with the rim. The axle is too big for the fork, and the flanges are a bit large. I have an old wald hub, but the spokes are to big for the holes.

Like I said, this is my education.

Build is coming along well and bike is looking good! Hope to see it in person one day... Rat on!
If all works out, I'm bringing it with me on my trip. I think I said this before, but I ordered the die TRM pointed me to. But it's coming from China, might not be able to get the steer tube threaded before I leave. We'll see.

I always liked the darts on this frame, and your tank design looks good.

I always liked the darts on this frame, and your tank design looks good.
I like the darts too, that's why I wanted to design something. I think if I carve it out of foam it'll give me a better idea of which way to go on the tank.

The keeping the darts idea with the original patina is a good idea. What do you think about this form / orientation / paint idea for your custom tank.....

falstaff tank.jpg

Kind of keeps the flow going in the same direction. Looks fast....:cool2: And dude, those colored tires still have a hold on me. Is the frame like a dark maroon color? What about a brown or creme colored tire to accent your seat....would have that fancy 'across the pond' look....:nerd:

The keeping the darts idea with the original patina is a good idea. What do you think about this form / orientation / paint idea for your custom tank.....

View attachment 24155

Kind of keeps the flow going in the same direction. Looks fast....:cool2: And dude, those colored tires still have a hold on me. Is the frame like a dark maroon color? What about a brown or creme colored tire to accent your seat....would have that fancy 'across the pond' look....:nerd:
Not bad OJ, it does carry the dart theme. The reason I did it with a back curve is because in Nascar the numbers on the cars lean back, and we all know that make em faster.:bigsmile:

The frame is maroon, I think I can get it a little brighter. I'm going to try on an inconspicuous place, like the inner stay.

I admit these tires do look good on there, but I need to try the ones I ordered for the bike to see what I think.

As I get closer to having this part of the build finished, I figure I should check how my tires look.

Rollin' on red walls
50ee35d62bb509312e355bdbec9ad894.jpg

Just have to figure out the tank, build the wheels and decide if I want a rear fender. Then it just a little clean up.

Oh yeah! That's it! Forget what I said up above. These are much racier and sleeker...nailed it. I don't know my NASCAR stuff well, live too far north of the Mason Dixon line...*just kidding my Southern brethren* :wink1:

Oh yeah! That's it! Forget what I said up above. These are much racier and sleeker...nailed it. I don't know my NASCAR stuff well, live too far north of the Mason Dixon line...*just kidding my Southern brethren* :wink1:
I knew when I saw these tires they were the ones for the build, kinda make it pop and give it that race feel I wanted.

And don't worry about not knowing NASCAR, I'm one of those that stopped watching when Rusty retired and Dale died. It just don't seem the same, oh and there's the Toyota thing.

Back