Fugsley - MO FATTA MO BETTA - Believe it or Not -TRADED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - May go back to OCC tires

The offset sprocket on the mini-OCC is a coaster brake wheel while the big OCC is a freewheel, incompatible, the end.

A normal 5-7 speed freewheel will thread right onto that wheel (righty-tighty) and you could possibly use the furthest out 1 or 2 sprockets to get around the tire, leaving the other gears unusable, but you can grind the teeth off to make it look a little better, but then you will be using the little gear, which means an even higher gear ratio, when the stock freewheel is a 20 tooth.

If you have a pair of chainwhips, you can disassemble the freewheel and rearrange the gears any way you want, except the smallest is the only threaded one and still has to go on last, unless you have the kind that has a lockring at the end. Funky stickman did it here; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21127. once i make a second chainwhip thats what im gonna try

If you aint gonna use those HD tires ill be sure to take them off your hands for the right amount of cash of coarse. :p

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Freewheel fun

I guess I should have looked at this great writeup on Freewheel Basics (http://www.atomiczombie.com/ct-freewheel.html#freewheel)
I think I have all of the ball bearings, but I can't find one of the little ratchet pawls. I have been on my hands and knees with a flashlight and magnet 3 or 4 times and haven't found it yet. I may have to go back to my bike stash and see if I can find another donor freewheel.

It takes more than a couple of chainwhips to take the cog assembly apart though. I had to get creative with a vise, chaing, and pipe wrench before it broke free. The 28T, 24T, and 20T can be shifted around, but the 17 and 14 have to be closest to the frame. It looks like whatever two cogs I place nearest the hub are useless due to chain clearance of the Harley tire. So I will be either use the 20T, 24T or 28T as my middle cog. I am thinking the 24 might be best with these tires. The OCC ran a 20T.

I might also go to the LBS and see if they have a scrap freewheel pawl lying around.

Anyway, it looks like it still a go with the Harley tires. Still a no go on welding. My buddy is still out of town now. Between our two schedules, the welding may even get put off into October. Maybe this will be a snow bike instead of a sand bike. :p . We get snow in Savannah about once every 20 years and it's been 25 years since the last one.

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Freewheel Fun

I picked up another old 5 speed rim from my bike stash. I will work on taking the freewheel off tomorrow.
Here is the photos of the clearance of the freewheel. I am going to have to have some spacers to give me a little more axle on the drive side.
Photo_134E75F1-A663-C768-1791-2696AE337A35.jpg

Photo_F087B97E-8259-35B5-8ECC-D78006921519.jpg

I hope you can swap those around to get a lower gearing.

Here's something to think about, one of my riding impressions, with the rear extended out so much, it makes the rear end light while standing and pedaling causing the rear to spin unless you sit down and pedal, which is harder to do, so lower gearing is a must to keep the traction on the rear, at least in sand.

yoothgeye said:
I hope you can swap those around to get a lower gearing.

Here's something to think about, one of my riding impressions, with the rear extended out so much, it makes the rear end light while standing and pedaling causing the rear to spin unless you sit down and pedal, which is harder to do, so lower gearing is a must to keep the traction on the rear, at least in sand.

Feedback always appreciated, especially from the originator! I will probably end up with a little more weight too with these beastly tires and even more if I build the water ski rear rack. That's why I am figuring either the 24T or maybe even the 28T will be needed. I also might be able to use the smaller chainring on the crank too. I am soooooo far away from tweaking all that, with no working frame yet, but at least I have options.

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Rockin in the Free Wheel

Success on the freewheel front. I brought home another old 5 speed wheel last night. I went to remove the freewheel (the correct way with a FR-1 tool) and the tool was too big. The wheel is off of an old Columbia mountain bike that had a broken frame. Obviously it wasn't a Shimano. Well I went ahead and broke down the freewheel (prepared for the ball bearings this time). The cogs are different and wouldn't work any better, so I decided to see if I could use the freewheel pawls to replace the lost one on the Shimano. I was the same profile and width, but a little longer. I was able to grind it down to match and now my Shimano freewheel is back in action. Or at least it will be when I put it all back together.

Sing it Neil!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzL_WU3 ... re=related

:mrgreen:

It may sound dumb but Ive got to ask...I see you have taken the single freewheel off and installed a cassete,Now what im asking is will the single freewheel work on say a ten speed wheel instead of the cassete.Im trying to use a 700 road bike wheel on my flipped higgins but I really just want a single freewheel...Any advice would be appreciated.

FatBoy said:
It may sound dumb but Ive got to ask...I see you have taken the single freewheel off and installed a cassete,Now what im asking is will the single freewheel work on say a ten speed wheel instead of the cassete.Im trying to use a 700 road bike wheel on my flipped higgins but I really just want a single freewheel...Any advice would be appreciated.

I am certainly no expert, as evidenced by losing a freewheel pawl on my shop floor.

What I ahve is an older style freewheel sprocket cluster and not a more modern freehub cassette.

Check out the difference on Sheldon Brown's page here (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)
Also this has some great freewheel basics (http://www.atomiczombie.com/ct-freewheel.html#freewheel)

I am guessing that your 700c wheel has a freehub. You will probably have to google around to see if there is a way to make a single speed with it. I haven't done that, so I am not sure.

Good luck.

FatBoy said:

They make a single speed kit for cassette style hubs, but if you have a freewheel instead of cassette then you can spin it off and put on a SS freewheel, just like all the stuff Kingfish has been doing.

Thank you Kingfish & Yoothgeye for the help and links!

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Front end geometry

Great news! Welding starts tomorrow night!!!!

In the meantime I mounted the other tire and started mocking up the front end geometry. It's not perfect, but I think it will be pretty close.
The wheel could stand to be pushed out front 3 inches, but I think this will be fine. Actually the back end may go up some so that might take care of everything.

Photo_9C3A64C3-3562-AD42-812B-2A680A5EFDB3.jpg

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Welding starts tomorrow night!!!

I cant wait to see this in rolling chassis form,I bet you cant either...So how much welding are you guys going to do?

Looking at that clearance shows me that I can't run the motorcycle tires on Sand Rover, with my reinforced fork I wouldn't have the room, I like the proportions I have already though. I still will look for some 16" knobbies just for fun though.

GET THIS THING WELDED!

FatBoy said:
I cant wait to see this in rolling chassis form,I bet you cant either...So how much welding are you guys going to do?

I can't wait either, I am tired of mock ups :shock: , I want some meat!!!

We hope we can get everything welded up in two nights. We will see how it goes.

yoothgeye said:
Looking at that clearance shows me that I can't run the motorcycle tires on Sand Rover, with my reinforced fork I wouldn't have the room, I like the proportions I have already though. I still will look for some 16" knobbies just for fun though.

GET THIS THING WELDED!

You have about an inch plus of room to move the wheel down the fork. Just put some slugs above it in the dropouts.

The OCC tires are much more practical and MUCH lighter, but this is not a practical build, this is a FUGSLEY. :p

Knobbies would be cool too.

kingfish254 said:
You have about an inch plus of room to move the wheel down the fork. Just put some slugs above it in the dropouts.

The OCC tires are much more practical and MUCH lighter, but this is not a practical build, this is a FUGSLEY. :p

Knobbies would be cool too.

Knobbies will be even less practical, but they will look super cool.

hey, have you started to weld yet? lookin to see this. did you see all the pic's I posted on El Thunder, I think I was still putting them up when you were there. have to re-read your post on your chain . I have some clearence prob's on mine. may have to build a jack shaft. I am so close to it running right.
so let's get busy and post some pic's on this bad boy. yep, would like to see it with knobbies.

Outlaw 8)

Latest posts

Back