Trek 60 Mountain Lion rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished this up today.
2001 Trek 60 Mountain Lion.
Have some neighbors who bike a bit and their kid is on a 16"er with tiny cranks. He just can't go fast enough on that.

The Trek has 6 speeds. Full tear down. Lots of scratches and scuffs so I masked off the decals and sprayed more paint on it. Well I grabbed a can of Charleston Green which isn't quite back and didn't notice until the next day. Not doing it again. Clear coat and wax. Seat post, bars, stem, crank, frame, fork are all a bit off. Full overhaul and bearing repack. Straightened up the double chain guard. Semi slick street tires so he can go faster. Rear der was broken so I put on similar Tourney. Chain was pretty rusty. Another seat. Ordered and installed a brand new Shimano Revo shifter, the latest model. "Easy shift for small hands" with a window for the current gear. All new cables & housing. Fork is slightly bent back but still rides okay. 1 & 1/8 threadless with canti mounts. I rode it about a mile. That's about all I my knees could take. IMO, this a much better quality bike than anything the boxmarts sell. Who knows how many kids have abused it and it's ready for more.

Trek.60.Mountain.Lion.A7000727 (2).JPG

Trek.60.Mountain.Lion.A7000727 (3).JPG
Trek.60.Mountain.Lion.catalog.jpg

Back