█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FlexLiner 7 MO FATTA TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/25 Hub Choices

Good luck with the hub search. Backup 3 speed is good to have as an option too.
Nice set of optional tires. The brick red cords match the seat really well
I'll stop in for more later :lol:

Creme Thick Bricks (24x3) with skinny chrome rims (no bars)
WP_001575.jpg

WP_001576.jpg

WP_001577.jpg

With pointy bars dropped
WP_001578.jpg

WP_001579.jpg

With pointy bars up ( I am liking them the bars this way, probably with a different stem)
WP_001580.jpg

WP_001581.jpg

WP_001582.jpg

Red Cords with the pointy bars up
WP_001583.jpg

WP_001584.jpg

WP_001585.jpg

Unpainted RRB 007 head badge
WP_001586.jpg

Big light tiewrapped on
WP_001587.jpg

WP_001588.jpg

WP_001589.jpg

Giant exerciser chainring quick mockup. It hits the chainstay
WP_001590.jpg

Redline Black Bontrager Hanks
WP_001592.jpg

WP_001593.jpg

WP_001594.jpg

Test to see how the black Hanks might contrast with the blue Felt rims
WP_001595.jpg

WP_001596.jpg

One last photo. Don't think I will use this idea for this build, but has anyone used a fan screen for fender skirts? I tossed a tire and it landed this way. Snapped a photo for future reference. One more thing to look for at yard sales. Old big fans.
WP_001591.jpg

Re: FlexLiner 7 - TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/25 Hub Choices + Mockups

Oh,man.I want those pointy bars.They look like the ones I saw in Bicycle times a couple weeks ago and thought they would look good on my build.Are yours made by SomaFab?
As for tires,you've got plenty of winners.Just depends where you want to go from here.I'm a sucker for black and blue(my favorite colors)so think those are cool.Can't wait to see which direction you take.

I like the botraggers myself if you want to donate them send them my way

Consistently making impressive builds. Love the Dayton Flex recreation. Pointed bars very cool, I'd agree with you though, different stem if you're going with them. Any of those tires look good; clays are really classic and the creme or black are both classy.

Looking forward to seeing this finished!

I used some paint stripper on a spaceliner frame . and found out that the chrome had a clear coat over it , when I stripped the clear coat the chrome looked great , I can't wait to see the finished rear suspension

kingfish254 said:
Unpainted RRB 007 head badge
WP_001591.jpg
What kind of bike is the orange bike in the back ground?!!
N i have always been a fan of the redline hanks but i am thiking of sanding the logos off mine and painting in a GOOD/YEAR logo.

Loving the build. Very unique and cool. I like the ThickBricks, but are you sure the rear will fit? Looks like not much clearance back there.

I dig the pointy bars, up, but with a different stem that angles down. And the cream tires. (My second choice for rubber would be the bontragers. Gives the bike a meaner feel and with all that chrome that could be a good thing.)

imagearchy said:
kingfish254 said:
What kind of bike is the orange bike in the back ground?!!

You haven't seen my Fugsley build??? (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44315&hilit=+fugsley )

Below is a photo, but here is a video so you can get a sense of scale and fun with this bike. It is a Dahon Folding bike with Harley tires on OCC rims and a water ski rack.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTVrW-D-Vak

IMG_4878.jpg

MplsCoaster said:
Good luck with the hub search. Backup 3 speed is good to have as an option too.
Nice set of optional tires. The brick red cords match the seat really well
I'll stop in for more later :lol:

Leave it to me to post two pages of mockup and updates all at once.

I have a lead on a new Nexus 7 w/coaster brake. Have to mull that over, because I don't like paying close to full price on anything. I still may pop for it though, because I sold a few of my NOS 5 Speed Shifters lately.

My wife said the same thing about the brick red tires and the seat.

Re: FlexLiner 7 - TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/26 Nexus 7 and Hanks

Terry66 said:
Loving the build. Very unique and cool. I like the ThickBricks, but are you sure the rear will fit? Looks like not much clearance back there.

I still have free reign with the rear section. It would be very easy to widen the suspension MeteorFlite rear by cutting the fender cross and putting in a wider one.

As much as I love the Thick Bricks and the Fat Franks I think this bike needs something darker to contrast with all of the chrome. So that leaves either the black redline Hanks or the brick red Cords. I am pretty certain that I am going to go with the Bontrager redline Hanks on the Black rims that I currently have the brick red Cords on.

Also, I just paid for a new Nexus 7 with coaster brake. I am going to lace this up to the black wheelset. From what I saw of the Nexus 3 shifter, I a fairly certain that I will be able to use the old school shifter that I currently have mounted.

2011-08-09184930.jpg

kingfish254 said:
One last photo. Don't think I will use this idea for this build, but has anyone used a fan screen for fender skirts? I tossed a tire and it landed this way. Snapped a photo for future reference. One more thing to look for at yard sales. Old big fans.
WP_001591.jpg

Note to self. Thanks for the tip!

Re: FlexLiner 7 - TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/26 Chainguard lights

kingfish254 said:
Does anyone know where I can get some flat ribbon lighting that runs off of a watch battery?
I am thinking about putting something like that behind the louvers on my Spaceliner guard.

guard.jpg

Ask and you shall receive! Spent this morning yard sale-ing and what did I find for $1 total. A pair of 9" 24 LED light strips!
Much better than the $15-20 each price I was seeing at the auto parts stores.

outskirtscustoms said:
kingfish254 said:
WP_001591.jpg

Note to self. Thanks for the tip!

If anyone uses this idea on their BO7 bike, they owe me a vote!!!! :p

It looks like an obvious use of a fan doesn't it??? I have a plastic one of these air movers too that I think has some pretty cool looking louvers. I am really surprised we haven't seen this used. Pretty cool that the tire landed in just the right spot and that I noticed it a few days later.

Re: FlexLiner 7 - TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/26 Paint Anodized Red

I originally was thinking of a Rat Fink green accent color against this chrome, but now that I decided on using the redline Hanks, I plan to use red as the accent color. I will be painting the rear MetorFlite section and the forks in an anodized red look with this Duplicolor MetalCast along with the ground coat since the parts that I am painting aren't chrome. I might even paint the bars with this. That is a ways off yet.

WP_001598.jpg

Re: FlexLiner 7 - TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/26 Paint Anodized Red

kingfish254 said:
I originally was thinking of a Rat Fink green accent color against this chrome, but now that I decided on using the redline Hanks, I plan to use red as the accent color. I will be painting the rear MetorFlite section and the forks in an anodized red look with this Duplicolor MetalCast along with the ground coat since the parts that I am painting aren't chrome. I might even paint the bars with this. That is a ways off yet.

WP_001598.jpg
Must be nice to have quick access to decent & unusual paint,I live in the Krylon capitol of the world apparently.
You know I love Spaceliners in particular so Im watching ya closely!!!!!!

Re: FlexLiner 7 - TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/26 Fork work

The front forks were too narrow for most of my hubs so I spread them a bit with a scissor jack, then when I used the laminated layout grid that I got for a quater at a yard sale today, I could see that only one of the forks spread.

WP_001600.jpg

I changed my tool of preference to something with a little more finesse (my 3 foot long pipe wrench and a vise). The grid paper really allowed me to see what needed to bend where. It didn't take me long to get the forks and the giant fork blades at the end where I wanted them.

WP_001601.jpg

I also worked through the different stem bearing cups and such to find a combination that worked with this fork and the Spaceliner stem.

Latest posts

Back