Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. sernylan

It's Futuramic!

Turns out, the rear hub was impressed with a non-cryptic date of manufacture: 1968. Otherwise, I'm with the lone post from FuturamicRider, no success finding any information on this brand. But for the account of their bike's history (left behind by a grad student from Germany), my guess would...
  2. sernylan

Ladies Sears

Wow, that looks in good enough shape to expect the headlight to work. Is the bulb shield intact? In my experience, those happen somewhere in the range of once in a lifetime to never.
  3. sernylan

It's Futuramic!

Found on the used rack at a LBS, priced at the value of its leather seat. Made in West Germany. Woulda bought it for the deco details alone, but also proved to be an effortlessly zippy ride. Looks like every other Futuramic on this forum can be found in this thread.
  4. sernylan

Murray Astro Flite Logo

Yes, it is...
  5. sernylan

Murray Astro Flite Logo

Murray also made a Hiawatha branded Astro Flite with identical chainguard script. I have a friend who has one I've given a look for paint restoration. As I recall, their script has some lossage around the "st," but overall intact enough to fill out with little guesswork. Hey, if you're...
  6. sernylan

Bicycle Shipping Kung-Fu

Recent questions here and there about shipping bikes via Amtrak. A general thread here for not-obvious approaches. Amtrak Express Shipping requires the bike partially disassembled and boxed following the rules of bicycles as checked baggage. The rules are: pedals removed, handlebars loose and...
  7. sernylan

bike clubs?

Work up a good acronym. Not many words have FW in sequence for Fort Wayne, but identifying the club with Summit City or Allen County offers plenty of possibilities. Like, SCRAP -- Summit City Rat Attack Pack.
  8. sernylan

Chicago Stolen Bike Registry

Ha! Have I got a Moultrie County bicycle theft saga... Three or four years ago, my girlfriend and I had a Saturday morning road trip planned that would take us that direction. I mentioned our plan the night before at a local bar, provoking someone to say, "that's over by Gays--they've got...
  9. sernylan

There's a search bar -- no reports containing the words "chopper," "stretch" or "burrito." Not even "I had stopped off for a burrito when my black mountain bike was stolen from the sidewalk in front."
  10. sernylan

The statistics page is especially interesting.
  11. sernylan

how to build a sidecar...

Lindblom, Stephen - The Fantastic Bicycles Book (Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1979) The 1919 edition of The Boy Mechanic he mentions appears to be "Book 3 - 800 Things for Boys to Do." That one was reprinted in the 90s by Lindsay Publications -- not sure they still have it in their catalog...
  12. sernylan

how to build a sidecar...

Do you remember the title?
  13. sernylan

Did you have a crappy day?

I'm sure that's one of the first things they teach you in bomb and arson investigation school: Examine whether the suspect device bears a label identifying it as a bomb. :roll:
  14. sernylan

wildest tubing bender I ever saw

Mmm, the smell of freshly cooked pretzel bars.... Another post from the same 1970 catalog here.
  15. sernylan

VINTAGE BICYCLE ADS

From Fall-Winter 1970 catalog.
  16. sernylan

No problem. We just rent time on one long enough to make a single quarter-million dollar bicycle frame. 8)
  17. sernylan

sometimes people make me wonder

In 1973, MSRP on a Schwinn Speedster with a single speed coaster brake was $66.95.
  18. sernylan

His tube coping calculator is also real useful: http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
  19. sernylan

opinion on Mark's frame color

Gloss black with gold deco lettering/pinstripes -- like an antique sewing machine.
  20. sernylan

AMF Shelby, Maybe

No headbadge, make and model markings covered by a bad paint job sometime before a 1970 University of Illinois registration sticker was applied. Scrapes revealing original paint was bright blue. 26x1.75 tires, peaked fenders. Serial # C86728, stamped below the crank. Tentatively identifying...
Back