Chicago Stolen Bike Registry

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a search bar -- no reports containing the words "chopper," "stretch" or "burrito."
Not even "I had stopped off for a burrito when my black mountain bike was stolen from the sidewalk in front."

Chicago...pfffft! And if you come downstate in Illinois where I live, you could leave your bike with no lock in Shelbyville, Sullivan, Bethany, or Findlay (towns closest to me) and it would be there the next day. I never lock my bike, my truck, or my house. There is virtually no crime here. My neighbors are from Chicago. They came here 15 yrs ago to escape the gunfire and ripoffs in the big city. I like it like this! Gary

B607 said:
Chicago...pfffft! And if you come downstate in Illinois where I live, you could leave your bike with no lock in Shelbyville, Sullivan, Bethany, or Findlay (towns closest to me) and it would be there the next day. I never lock my bike, my truck, or my house. There is virtually no crime here. My neighbors are from Chicago. They came here 15 yrs ago to escape the gunfire and ripoffs in the big city. I like it like this! Gary

So what is your address again? lol. Joking, I'm from Momence, it is pretty much the same way. My house is ALWAYS unlocked. My Garage is unlocked, and my van is usually locked though because someone did take some C.D's from me a few years ago, but I think they were from Chicago!

B607 said:

Ha! Have I got a Moultrie County bicycle theft saga...

Three or four years ago, my girlfriend and I had a Saturday morning road trip planned that would take us that direction. I mentioned our plan the night before at a local bar, provoking someone to say, "that's over by Gays--they've got Adolf Hitler's bike."

I expressed disbelief. "Well, I don't know if it was really Adolf Hitler's bicycle," he relented, "but they've got one sitting out there that says 'A.Hitler, 1938."

Next morning, after stopping for lunch at Shelbyville's Courthouse Inn, we proceeded to Gays. As we approached, my girlfriend said "did that sign say something about an two-story outhouse?" "You musta read that wrong, dear," I replied as I turned off Highway 16 into town.

We took a left on the town's center street, and immediately saw a shack on which a someone had spraypainted "Motel 6."
Hopeless day for photographs, overcast with light rain, but we decided the "motel" deserved an attempt at one. As my girlfriend was focusing the camera, she whispered, "they're looking at us," and nodded in the direction of some residents standing inside their front door. "I'll go talk to 'em," I said.

"Say, we were just traveling through--had a fellow tell us you had Adolf Hitler's bike here," I said, "is that true?" "Oh that...yeah, guy over there owned it, but it got stolen a couple years ago," said the resident dejectedly. Then he brightened up and offered, "have you seen our two-story outhouse?" "Why...no," I replied, "my girlfriend thought she'd seen a sign about that." He indicated it a couple blocks behind us, and we promised to have a look.

Wheeling the car around, we saw a sign in a nearby yard, handpainted on a piece of plywood:

THIEF -- I WANT ADOLF'S BIKE BACK.

Photographs did not turn out. Don't know if the sign's still there...

HaHa! I know right where that's at. There were at least a couple of those "Adolf Hitler bikes" around there at one time in the 60's or 70's. There was also one in Windsor, behind a guy's house on an alley. It was mounted on top of a fence with the "Adolf Hitler's bike" sign below it. They usually spelled Adolf "Adolph" out of ignorance. I think the neighbor "stole it" because they were sick of looking at Hitlers name on a sign in the neighborhood. They weren't German bikes at all, the ones I saw were boys balloon tire bombers from the late 40's or early 50's painted all black. I don't have an Adolf bike but I do have an outhouse. It's only a one-holer, one story, so it's not a tourist attraction. :wink: Gary

Back