(MBBO-IV, Class 1) Deutsch Muscle Fahrrad

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to work this morning for a few hours but got home and tackled cutting the fork drop outs. I used a jig saw and cut them out. Bolted them together and drilled out the strut bolt hole to insure both sides were identical. Keeping them bolted together I shaped them with a couple of files. Very much improved front end. It pushed the wheel out 3 inches so my feet don't hit the tire when turning. The height was only increased by 1/4 inch. You can notice the difference it the last 2 pictures.
DSCN1542.jpg

20151017_171954.jpeg

20151017_191631.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg
DSCN1544.jpg
DSCN1543.jpg

BEFORE...
DSCN1480.jpg

AFTER
DSCN1549.jpg

These fork extensions seem to work well with the bolt set up of a springer fork. What does it do to the compression / rebound action of the fork? Dive at all in the corners? I definitely like the laid-out look of it on your build! I would have to incorporate something like this for me on a >26" sized wheel bike...food for thought....

These fork extensions seem to work well with the bolt set up of a springer fork. What does it do to the compression / rebound action of the fork? Dive at all in the corners? I definitely like the laid-out look of it on your build! I would have to incorporate something like this for me on a >26" sized wheel bike...food for thought....
Well the action of the springer still works fine. I haven't road tested it yet to see how well it works... still in the mock up stage.

The issue now is that I want to go from this tiny 32t chain ring to a 39t. Looking on EBay I can find nothing like this or anything to convert...
The cups are 40mm and the BB installs just like an American 1 piece crank. No threaded cups they press in. SO, I am stumped as to what to do without major modification. The chain ring that is on it is machine pressed on. Luke suggested grinding it off and welding in the chain ring... I am not a big fan of that considering that I would have to $$ someone to do it.
DSCN1550.jpg

Is the bottom bracket the same size as a American? It might be the same size as a mid if it is a bit smaller, some kids 20" and 16" bikes run a one piece mid size BB...

If you can get an accurate inside diameter measurement, I am sure someone can help with what else may work...

Luke.

Looks tuff man!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The issue now is that I want to go from this tiny 32t chain ring to a 39t. Looking on EBay I can find nothing like this or anything to convert...
The cups are 40mm and the BB installs just like an American 1 piece crank. No threaded cups they press in. SO, I am stumped as to what to do without major modification. The chain ring that is on it is machine pressed on. Luke suggested grinding it off and welding in the chain ring... I am not a big fan of that considering that I would have to $$ someone to do it.
DSCN1550.jpg
Can you provide a photo of the bottom bracket shell with the cups that are installed, give me a better picture to reference in helping to solve. Maybe if you can, the I.D. of the actual BB shell (frame portion) to see what is available for adapter or other....

Can you provide a photo of the bottom bracket shell with the cups that are installed, give me a better picture to reference in helping to solve. Maybe if you can, the I.D. of the actual BB shell (frame portion) to see what is available for adapter or other....
Ok, here you go. The opening is 40mm and it is non-threaded, just like an old school American bike... set the cup in and smack with a rubber mallet. The crank shaft is 16mm. The shaft itself is 127mm in length.
DSCN1554.jpg

DSCN1555.jpg

DSCN1503.jpg

DSCN1553.jpg

This would be a fairly reasonable fix. This BB set up with the adapter and bearings and spindle included. Found some online for ~$16.
http://www.jbi.bike/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=22147
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/pyramid-m-x-3-piece-bottom-bracket-set-conversion-kit

Then right and left crank and a 39t chain ring to finish it off. See my PM.
Both of those are too large for this frame. 68mm is standard American sized BB. The ones I need are 40mm.

Okay, I see your post now that the ID of the shell is 40 mm. That will take more research. Give me 24 hrs. This has to be able to be solved.

I checked out some bikes in the pile today, as I remembered there were some kids bikes with smaller than standard bottom brackets, but still one piece cranks, turned out there were 3 of them, a 12.5" a 16" and a 20".

A quick disassemble on one and this is what I got:

22329444645_797d145c32_z.jpg

Pretty much spot on 43mm. I know that is bigger than yours, but I wonder if you could combine your cups and bearings with these smaller one piece crank inner races and fit a one piece set up to it?

Luke.

Latest posts

Back