TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondo

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
IMG_1024.jpeg
IMG_1027.jpeg
IMG_1025.jpeg
IMG_1026.jpeg
I’ve been wanting to revisit my old Roadmaster for a while now. It’s a cool klunker, fun to ride and actually rides pretty well. But it’s ready for some styling updates. I’ve been thinking about options since last summer’s build off.

The serial number is E37122 A0 so I think it might be a ‘37? The frame and forks were originally black so the original tank would have been red. I don’t know how to date the tank but this one didn’t come with this frame. The head badge is really cool.
IMG_1060.jpeg

This bike has had some patina paint done on it before my ownership. I think the red oxide primer looks ok with the dabs of green and the original black showing thru here and there. I may see if I can find some original details under the primer. The chain guard that’s on it I don’t care for. I’m going to keep the frame, fork and tank. Everything else is up for reconsideration.
IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1029.jpeg

IMG_1030.jpeg

First thing was to ditch the modern seat and the chain guard. Much better. Added a better seat and chain guard. The rail seat is slightly weathered white glitter and I the guard might be a Shelby.
IMG_1031.jpeg
IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_1033.jpeg

Then ditched the light and repop grips, better yet. The modernish cruiser bar doesn’t look so bad now.
IMG_1034.jpeg

Then I tried a vintage bar like might have been on this bike originally. Not too shabby.
IMG_1035.jpeg

Next up a medium high bar, probably Huffy, that I got from @CRASH . Pretty cool.
IMG_1036.jpeg
IMG_1037.jpeg

Finally I tried some ape hangers. Cool but I’m not totally sold. Plus the chrome on them is perfect and this is going to be a patina build.
IMG_1038.jpeg
IMG_1039.jpeg

There may be some other options down the road but I’m going to use the CRASH bars for mockups for now. Vintage white grips to compliment the seat and guard. I got these from @Bike from the Dead a while back.
IMG_1040.jpeg
IMG_1041.jpeg
IMG_1042.jpeg

So that was my original idea. Kind of a late’50s early’60s style custom. But then I thought the deep fender look might be cool so I sourced a nice set of deep Monarch fenders from a CABEr. I mocked up the rear set way back for that really low look. I may need to get another to make this one wrap all the way around the front of the tire too.
IMG_1043.jpeg
IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

Oh yeah, I’m liking this. That was good so now for the front. Another rear Monarch fender for that really low wrap around look.
IMG_1046.jpeg
IMG_1047.jpeg
IMG_1048.jpeg

I dig it!!

Ok, so that was good. I was really inspired by Girthy Gerty that @LeMad Hatter built last year so I thought I would try a bolt on stretch. That bike inspired a few other builds this time around too I think. And, no, I haven’t gotten my Rat-oFF yet but that’s coming. Next mock up was challenging. I had to mock up the donor frame next to the other with the wheel in the donor frame, main frame balanced on a 2x4, and strap it all together with electrical tape. It’s pretty entertaining with only 2 hands and 1 1/2 thumbs but I only wound up dropping the whole works 2-300 times.
IMG_1049.jpeg
IMG_1050.jpeg

Finally…
IMG_1051.jpeg

Fail! The rear subframe is way too far back. Take 342.67…
IMG_1052.jpeg

Much closer. That’s good to get an idea of what I’m working with.
IMG_1053.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg

Felt pretty good about that so I decided to push the envelope and go for that final full Kustom touch. Sometimes you just gotta bring your A game.
IMG_1056.jpeg
IMG_1057.jpeg
IMG_1058.jpeg

Kidding, kidding, I’m just kidding! This will not be a basket bike.

So everything is still up in the air. Except for the frame, tank and forks this is all optional. I like it so far. If I stick with the white accents I'll need to find some vintage white pedals or get some new ones and Rat-iNa them. I've got a couple of wheel/tire combos to fiddle with. The ones currently on the bike will be used on something else. I've got a nice set of vintage S2s with great patina that would look great with some fat white walls. Also have some 24x3 Thick Brick tires on the way that would be super cool. I'm thinking a cool vintage headlight and some fender lights might look good on here too.

I haven't decided on gears yet. Internal gears would work. Single speed coaster would work. I've got a cool drum hub with a 5 speed freewheel on it that I'd like to use but I don't know if a derailleur drivetrain would work out on a stretch like this. I bought the drum hub with the freewheel still attached but no rim and haven't yet been able to remove the freewheel. So far I've just gotten my freewheel removal tool stuck. 🤣
IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

Loving this. You went through a lot of cool iterations in the first day.
You totally got me as I was scrolling through and saw the baskets....I was like NOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYY?
Love the deep monarks, apes, and shelby guard.
I think I like it better as a nonstretch, but don't toss the idea out just yet.
This should be a good one.

Loving this. You went through a lot of cool iterations in the first day.
You totally got me as I was scrolling through and saw the baskets....I was like NOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYY?
Love the deep monarks, apes, and shelby guard.
I think I like it better as a nonstretch, but don't toss the idea out just yet.
This should be a good one.
Thanks KF! I'll definitely keep running the different mockups. That's one thing I've gleaned from your builds, try out a lot of combinations. Eventually something will click. And, man, you make 'em click!

How did I not see this till just now? Was it a late entry?

Anywayyyyy....this is awesome as it sits HERE:

pondo roadmaster.jpeg

Annnnddd....the perfect opportunity to try out the Col Mustard method! First I'd run a thin tape strip of blue tape or masking tape to cover the white pinstripe on the front fender. Then, spread mustard over the already perfect rust spots that show on the fender. The thicker the mustard, the more it will show the rust. Then do an overspray, from about 2'-3' away so it covers lightly, with a flat black. Like a stove black or something. You can always add a little sheen with a boiled linseed or WD 40 coating after the fact.
Then after the paint sets for maybe 15 mins, take your garden hose and spray off the fender and watch your RaT-ina appear as the mustard washes away! Peel off your pinstripe tape, and viola' !

With the CWC frame and Roadmaster tank, you're probably already getting my vote. Doom Slug is a killer name as well. Love the idea of a pair of "street sweeper" fenders too. I don't think it needs the stretch, you're already getting some sick hotrod vibes as it is, maybe just some black paint for that front fender

Ok, so that was good. I was really inspired by Girthy Gerty that @LeMad Hatter built last year so I thought I would try a bolt on stretch. That bike inspired a few other builds this time around too I think. And, no, I haven’t gotten my Rat-oFF yet but that’s coming. Next mock up was challenging. I had to mock up the donor frame next to the other with the wheel in the donor frame, main frame balanced on a 2x4, and strap it all together with electrical tape. It’s pretty entertaining with only 2 hands and 1 1/2 thumbs but I only wound up dropping the whole works 2-300 times.
View attachment 264978View attachment 264979
Finally…
View attachment 264980
Fail! The rear subframe is way too far back. Take 342.67…
View attachment 264981
Much closer. That’s good to get an idea of what I’m working with.
View attachment 264982View attachment 264983View attachment 264984
Felt pretty good about that so I decided to push the envelope and go for that final full Kustom touch. Sometimes you just gotta bring your A game.
View attachment 264985View attachment 264986View attachment 264987
Kidding, kidding, I’m just kidding! This will not be a basket bike.

Thanks KF! I'll definitely keep running the different mockups. That's one thing I've gleaned from your builds, try out a lot of combinations. Eventually something will click. And, man, you make 'em click!
I’m good with the baskets

Back