Stingray Classic at Walmart for $88! Not the new style!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's A Disposable World.
At $88, you can throw it away next Christmas!

A stingray bike in 1968 was about $80....with inflation that same bike at the price today is about $350.

I rode one at the store....that arent that bad, they ride pretty smoothly.

I like the look with the 20" front tire...that really fixes up the BFK. Do you think the short springer and high bars are left overs from the Wal-mart 'Manta Ray' they sold the last couple years...now not in their line up?

aka_locojoe said:
I've had nothing ut trouble with the hi-stop hubs I've had. Think I mentioned it in another thread.
Hopefully it's not the case with these.

That is the hub I turned into the pepper grinder. I did find a source for new guts for them though.
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/view.asp?f_ ... ster+Brake

I think if you look they are just the same as the Shimano type D hub. In fact, I read somewhere they manf. some hubs for Shimano :cry:

cman said:
aka_locojoe said:
I've had nothing ut trouble with the hi-stop hubs I've had. Think I mentioned it in another thread.

That is the hub I turned into the pepper grinder. I did find a source for new guts for them though.

I think if you look they are just the same as the Shimano type D hub. In fact, I read somewhere they manf. some hubs for Shimano :cry:

Yes if I didn't mention this somewhere on here already I was going to.. I recently replaced the guts of one of these hi-stops with the guts from a Shimano. Works fine now.

aka_locojoe said:
cman said:
aka_locojoe said:

Yes if I didn't mention this somewhere on here already I was going to.. I recently replaced the guts of one of these hi-stops with the guts from a Shimano. Works fine now.

yes,
i too have had trouble with the "Hi-stops"...
i have a couple of 144 spoke hi-stops, that squeal so embarrassingly loud, that i havent been riding the bikes they're attached to...
Randy,
what do i need to replace to fix them? just the pads? or all the guts? thanks!

i also finally broke down and got a green one and a black one...
both still in the boxes, and both still $88 :|
i figure i will do a 20"front wheel, and some other changes,to ride one..
and keep one in the box, for my daughter, who was born this month... :wink:

oct.

You guys are so lucky. The only hope I have to find an $88 Schwinn anything is if I can find one for free and it only costs $88 in gas to go there and back. If one of those showed up in Vancouver they would probably want $1000 for it. :lol: Just be happy and go do some wheelies for me.

WOW! I just read all of the posts, some good, some notso. The discussion on these bikes alone, is worth the $88. I would just like to say: It was a $79 bike at Target, that rekindled my love for bikes, like I had when I was a kid. It was that $79 bike that got me started in building bicycles. It was because of that same $79 bike, that eventually led me here (RRB). I can only IMAGINE what an $88 would have done for me. AHHHH............... where I would be today for an extra $9, I can only dream.

armandgil said:
You guys are so lucky. The only hope I have to find an $88 Schwinn anything is if I can find one for free and it only costs $88 in gas to go there and back. If one of those showed up in Vancouver they would probably want $1000 for it. :lol: Just be happy and go do some wheelies for me.

what would it cost for some nice person to ship one to you?
i mean, it's already boxed up and ready to go...

october said:
armandgil said:

It's a nice thought but I couldn't get one wheel shipped to me for less than $100. I'll just wait until the Xmas shopping psychosis is over and drive down to Bellingham Washington and check it out. :mrgreen:

I went to my local wal-mart and talked to the manager since i couldn't find any stingrays...she led me to the garden center filled with boxes and boxes of stuff and showed me the two pallets worth of stingrays sitting there. she said they would be clearanceing them soon. so don't buy them for 88 bux if they go on clearance at your store sometimes soon as they will at mine.

armandgil said:
october said:
armandgil said:

It's a nice thought but I couldn't get one wheel shipped to me for less than $100. I'll just wait until the Xmas shopping psychosis is over and drive down to Bellingham Washington and check it out. :mrgreen:

I can talk to our local pack-and-ship tpye store where my wife does a lot of business- I'm sure that Fedex can figure out how to ship one of these, ground or otherwise. The thing to do to avoid customs charges is to sign a "gift affidavit" or some such paper, indicating that I am NOT selling you this product, it is a gift From Mr. A To Mr. B., etc.

There shouldn't be a huge surcharge for doing this. I would suggest wrapping the box in brown shipping paper or inside another bike box to protect the original box, if that's important to the recipient... most of the guys I've talked to who want one in a box want the box because it actually is pretty interesting.

I forgot to mention earlier that in working on these $88 specials I came across something that struck me as odd. I took apart the bottom bracket to swap the sprocket, and I DIDN'T have to clean 35 years of grit and hardened grease out of bearings! I don't think I've taken apart a good bike in a very long time! :?

--Rob

october said:
I DIDN'T have to clean 35 years of grit and hardened grease out of bearings! I don't think I've taken apart a good bike in a very long time!

lol was that just because the grease was clean or because these bikes are notorious for not comming with much grease in them in the first place

i will say one thing about these bikes it is obvious that they have struck a cord with us. maybe we should all buy one and do a special 88 dollar special build off next year :shock:

Well grease IS expensive, you know. Surprised if it isn't just chemical
sludge from some other Chinese factory.

And as for an $88 Buildoff--- that's just a BAD idea to put in my head!

1 rule though: if you paid LESS THAN $88 for it, you have to put the difference
into a fund for the prize winner. Maybe it could be split between site maintenance
and a prize or go to buying a bike or two to donate?

I love the buildups of these things I've already seen. Pedro's over on the
Schwinn site is very nice, he has more motivation than I do.

I'm happy with my "Sorta Deluxe" as it sits though I will get a front fender
on there one day.

A "Sorta Deluxe" is like a Super Deluxe, but not quite so much! :D

--Rob

karfer67 said:
october said:
I DIDN'T have to clean 35 years of grit and hardened grease out of bearings! I don't think I've taken apart a good bike in a very long time!

lol was that just because the grease was clean or because these bikes are notorious for not comming with much grease in them in the first place

i will say one thing about these bikes it is obvious that they have struck a cord with us. maybe we should all buy one and do a special 88 dollar special build off next year :shock:

NLCTVWguy said:
Pedro's over on the Schwinn site is very nice, he has more motivation than I do.

I always figured that he has waaay too much disposable income and time, ha ha.

That guy seems to turn out a fully restored bike every month....it's incredible.

He keeps Pete at Hyper-Formance in business that's for sure.

went to the Super Wal-Mart yesterday to do a little Christams shopping...(we're taking some gifts down to an orphanage in Mexico)...the Wal Mart in Moreno Valley on Moreno Beach Drive..anyway I saw one of the innfamous Black Friday Sting-Rays...man...all I can say is...they had probably thirty of them left...black, green and blue...maybe red...but like someone on here said...if you're gonna spend $88 then you should spend it on something classic...and I gotta agree! Guys...they are bad. really really bad! The CG felt more plastic than metal and...I could go on and on...if I come across one on clearance then maybe I will get one...

Those Pacific/Schwinn guys are pretty smart. They knew that bringing out a Sting Ray repro would generate excitement on the bike forums. The concept was a great one. And it will work great again when they decide to bring out a Phantom repro. Maybe next year? Maybe $99? Thanks!!!

In a nutshell, quality doesn't exsist anymore. With that said, I still think this is a great bike for your kid(s). I was at Toys'r'us and all they had where MTBs and BMXs. The choppers and other cruisers are a welcome site in the bike isle, give us variaty for cryin' out loud! And you certanly wouldn't get an original Sting Ray ($$$$$$$$$$) for your 8yr old, so this opens that door for them. Upgrading the 88's would also be a fun work in progress with the kids too. For us, Theme Build Off? I had a yellow one as a kid and I already have a 26" Cantilever Huffy that I'm planing on making a replica. Already started collecting parts a wile back. So if we all know how one should be built.........

Back