Stingray Classic at Walmart for $88! Not the new style!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a black one last night.
I must admit, regardless if its a "real" Schwinn or not, for the price its a cool ... looking bike. I'll probably just throw a headlight on and maybe change the grip's, but other than that I will pretty much leave it the way it is and ride it.
Even while I was pushing the bike through the store at least 3 people were like" cool bike", even a dude that worked there was like " oh shiznit, we sell those here?",lol.
Anyway, to me its all about the cool bikes, and this is a pretty cool bike.

i noticed the grips aren't metal flake on those things but the rubber is a lot softer so more comfortable so I don't know which is better :?:

saw one for the first time yesterday, didnt have the green otherwise i may have been tempted, compared to my other repops the chainguard is like tin foil, seat is more comfortable but feels flimsy compared to the gg and grape. the "sales associate" said they can order any color and have it shipped there in 3 days, same $88 tho. wasnt blown away but i still think for the price its nice !

well all i can say is, i got alot of ideas and not alot of money
so until that ratio changes im totally cool with feeding the evil corporate machine that is wally world
i mean i got a bratz for the heck of it and turned it into one of my favorite rides

DID I MENTION I ONLY PAID $79.20 FOR MINE?
L8 EM

TheDuke said:
DID I MENTION I ONLY PAID $79.20 FOR MINE?
L8 EM

hehe, i worked at Sams Club in HS, people from wal-mart would come over, shop and get PO'd cause their discount didnt work "over here" at the registers. When compared to our free membership card ($30 annually), who should have been P'd :lol:

Got a green one last night after reading this thread. They had it marked for 79.00, dont know if its on sale or thats the new price, not sure how walmart works, anyways, I like it. Its built no different than any new chinese bike made today, just looks way better than any of them.
I figure this will hold me over till I can find/afford a real one. :D

one thing I forgot to mention when I went to my local walmart. I talked to the manager to see if they had the bikes couldn't find them anywhere she took me to the back room and showed me about 2 pallets of bikes. I asked her if they planned on clearance them. she told they are going to but they have a certain budget for clearance so they have to prioritize what they want to discount. So the lessons learned are
1-If you dont see the bikes ask
2-If they do have them its very likely they will either be on clearance or will be soon
If enough people end up buying these we should have a Chen Schwinn Build off thread.

My sister (17) got a walmart stingray as an early x-mas present and was (and is) absolutely thrilled. She got a black one and they got a blue one for my 13 y.old brother. Honestly I don't know what all the negative fuss was about early in this thread??( tornadodave who? ). I have a "real" 2007 Schwinn black & white cruiser ss I bought from Karfer67 at his shop, so I didn't know what to expect when my sis told me about getting her bike at walmart. When they brought it over I was actually surprised. It has the exact same pedals as my LBS Schwinn, and the other parts don't seem too crappy on the rest of the bike. The only "cheap" thing I noticed was that the decals are not clearcoated over like on my bike. I put the blue one together for my brother, and the parts seem to be ok stuff considering where it came from. Loads better than the "Next" cruiser I bought a while back.

My sis has been riding the bike to sac city college and back to our house every day and she is really loving it. She gets compliments on it daily and loves how it rides. She's only like 5'2" so it fits her perfectly.

Oh yeah, one more thing - Since when did this hobby become about "how much this is worth" or "How much can I sell this for?" Who gives a crap! Bikes are supposed to be about having FUN - period. If a "cheapo" 88 dollar bike can put a smile on my sisters face every time she rides it, then it's "worth" alot more than money.

I wish we could have snagged a couple more of them.

Misfit43 said:
My sister (17) got a walmart stingray as an early x-mas present and was (and is) absolutely thrilled. She got a black one and they got a blue one for my 13 y.old brother. Honestly I don't know what all the negative fuss was about early in this thread??( tornadodave who? ). I have a "real" 2007 Schwinn black & white cruiser ss I bought from Karfer67 at his shop, so I didn't know what to expect when my sis told me about getting her bike at walmart. When they brought it over I was actually surprised. It has the exact same pedals as my LBS Schwinn, and the other parts don't seem too crappy on the rest of the bike. The only "cheap" thing I noticed was that the decals are not clearcoated over like on my bike. I put the blue one together for my brother, and the parts seem to be ok stuff considering where it came from. Loads better than the "Next" cruiser I bought a while back.

My sis has been riding the bike to sac city college and back to our house every day and she is really loving it. She gets compliments on it daily and loves how it rides. She's only like 5'2" so it fits her perfectly.

Oh yeah, one more thing - Since when did this hobby become about "how much this is worth" or "How much can I sell this for?" Who gives a crap! Bikes are supposed to be about having FUN - period. If a "cheapo" 88 dollar bike can put a smile on my sisters face every time she rides it, then it's "worth" alot more than money.

I wish we could have snagged a couple more of them.
Amen! I'm pretty sure my wife bought My 7 speed Schwin Searcher at K-Mart, and I love it! The only thing I have done to it was remove the front brake because I did not like how it looked and though all the wires looked cluttery, and I don't ever use a front break anyway, and I put some BMX pegs on the back of it for S**** and Giggles so that it is different. (I can't stand ANYTHING stock). So the moral of the strory is HAVE FUN!
IMG_0257.jpg

Misfit43 said:

Exactly. I have a kid and a mortgage so I dont have the cash to go and buy a "real" or "original" stingray as those are parked next to the 60's muscle cars in Stratosphere heaven, as far as prices. I can ride the crap out of this thing and enjoy it. Thats what its about. Plus my son loves it, and hes not even Two yet.
mikeystingrayRS003.jpg

PS Dig my 70's vintage basement LOL...

i personally have changed my tune about these bikes. i think that they fit the need for a cool looking old skool bike that kids can be proud off and parents wont be shocked at what an old one would cost or what their kid would do with it. i personally want a green one to make another club bike out of but i am not in a hurry. thats cool mike that you feel that way about them as well and i mean hey at least they got the slik tire more or less right :D NOW it will be interesting to see if wally world stores offer replacement slicks cause i know i will snag a few if they do.

i for one stick by my original opinion, ..............................................................the green is the best !!! :wink:

"Misfit43 wrote:Oh yeah, one more thing - Since when did this hobby become about "how much this is worth" or "How much can I sell this for?" Who gives a crap! Bikes are supposed to be about having FUN - period. If a "cheapo" 88 dollar bike can put a smile on my sisters face every time she rides it, then it's "worth" alot more than money."

Glad to see that we are keeping it real despite the growing number of new members. The last thing we need in our hobby is going purist on it.

what does the link show a pic of a ricky bike? :shock:

Back