Stingray Classic at Walmart for $88! Not the new style!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xddorox said:
GTCOMA said:
Make sure you duct tape that kid between the handlebars so he doesn't fall out

:mrgreen: That is hilarious! No welding allowed i guess LOL

LOL he was holding on pretty tight.

I think its funny how these bikes are popping up on egay for at least 30bucks more then they were in the stores and then shipping charges. The best is that these people selling them, think it was some rare run of the bikes and they are hard to get, except everyone on here has proved that they just had to walk in and pick one of the 20 boxed stock that was sitting on the floor. And the box specifically states " DO NOT LAY FLAT" LOL...

ya i noticed that apparently BIG BOLD lettters to walmart employees has the opposite meaning to them DO NOT LAY FLAT means DUDE LAY IT FLAT ALL YOU WANT!

My Wal-Mart still had 15 of them assembled and sitting in the Garden Center last night for $88.

Sure wish they would mark them way down. :mrgreen:

Man, I've been out of the loop and off the board here for months. I checked in last night and saw this thread and I was sure I missed the boat. But I checked Wally's today, and sure enough, they have plenty left in all three colors. Schweet! Now all I gotta do is sweet-talk the wife into letting me drag yet another bike home... she gave me the hairy eyeball when I mentioned it at the store. I have like 10 different 20-inch bikes in varying stages of crappiness all junking up the shed at the moment. I think if I promise to ditch a few, she'll soften up... and if she doesn't, screw it. I'll hide it in the basement till spring.

Think I'm gonna get me a green one, put on a 20" front wheel that I have lying around for starters... maybe a white sparkle seat that I also have around. Eventually get some better grips and some whitewalls when i get around to ordering some stuff online, and a front fender. Anybody know if an old Stingray fork will fit? I'm not a big fan of springers...

--rick

ParkRNDL said:
Think I'm gonna get me a green one, put on a 20" front wheel that I have lying around for starters... maybe a white sparkle seat that I also have around. Eventually get some better grips and some whitewalls when i get around to ordering some stuff online, and a front fender. Anybody know if an old Stingray fork will fit? I'm not a big fan of springers...

--rick

Here's the black one I built:

bfnew16.jpg

bfsign01.jpg

I rode it one time and decided that it pointed downhill too much. Out came the wrenches again
and we started building it the way it should have been done.

Here's some of the parts I pulled off:

bfparts31.jpg

I added:
A rear fender of unknown brand that looked like a Krate type, had the L bracket anyway, a sissy
bar with the clamp setup, some 1/4-20 stainless bolts top and bottom (3/4 or 1inch long at bottom,
1 to 1.5" at top). Kept the seat and it did work with a classic sissy bar, though I had to work the
screws in a bit. The seat's a little different shape.

Changed the sprocket for a coaster Mag style, needed a 1/8" thick spacer washer between the
sprocket and bearing race to position it so it wouldn't hit the frame. Need 2 more links in my chain,
the coaster mag is 46t and the ugly-sprocket as I've named it is only 44t.

Removed the fender hanger from the fork pivot bolt, and added a regular Stingray S-7 20"
wheel with a blackwall Westwind. I think whitewalls or white line tires would look sharp on this
bike as well. I might get a green one and do that to it.

Swapped the pedals just because the originals looked cheap. Used some from an old coaster Stingray.
There are lots of choices among Schwinn pedals with reflectors that are cheap.

bfdeluxe36.jpg

( I think it's kind of funny that they give you a wheel tag that says "SCHWINN 20" BIKE" and then
stick it into a 16" wheel- I at least put it in my 20" wheel!)

Problems:
The frame ears have to be drilled to 1/4 to take sissy bar/fender stay bolts.
The chain ends up too short making the wheel too far forward.
The chainguard screws are super tight and easy to strip.
The crank needs an extra washer/spacer in it or the sprocket hits the frame.

bfdeluxe34.jpg

Future stuff and other upgrades:
Need to change the grips to regular black or white, I hate the rubber grips, they're sticky.
Need to add a seatpost decal
Need to drill and add a proper headbadge (CHICAGO? Not!)
Need a front fender- or at least a hanger to use with a Fairlady fender
Need to add a rear reflector (hate to spend 1/3 of the purchase price on THAT!)
Need to take off a couple more CHINA stickers
Want to add a headlight
I want to paint the seat clamp with Pete's paint, silver basecoat, since it's either
welded or painted in place. An S bolt would be good here too.

As for changing the stem, you're stuck with the larger-diameter aluminum stem unless you
change the fork. If you use a vintage style fork, you can use a vintage style neck. Well,
it can be used but it won't tighten right and may be quite sloppy in the '07 springer fork
steer tube. Vintage bars CAN be used in the new style neck, so that's a good thing.

The possibilities for a buildoff are endless...

bfbox05.jpg

--Rob

picked up mine last night for 79 bucks the wife wasn't to happy but she always gets over it. i got the black one but the color dosn't matter to much to me i'm going to paint it anyway.

tv dinner said:
the color dosn't matter to much to me i'm going to paint it anyway.

OH, YEAH! :mrgreen:

i will most likely paint one of mine as well... (sorry kev... :wink: )

oct.

woohoo! Got a green one for $79. Rob, thanks for your feedback. Your earlier post was actually what got me thinking that I want to just put a 20" on the front from the git-go.

I asked about getting one in a box, but the sales guy said that was the last green one they had. (i think that means he didn't feel like getting more off the next pallet, or finding the pallet, or whatever...) Now on this one, the springer doesn't seem to work as smoothly as the black one that was sitting next to it; it looks like a part of the springer is twisted a little. The C-shaped part with bolts at each end holding it to the arms--one end of the C is twisted down so it's way below the centerline of the spring and bolt. (I'll try to get a pic to show what the heck I'm talking about...) I have exactly zero experience with springers... can these be fiddled with? That spring looks like it can be a mother to get back together once it's unloaded. I also wondered how to get the front fender bracket off, since you have to do that to put the bigger front wheel on and it looks like you have to unbolt the pivot point of the fork arms to do that...

any and all advice appreciated... thanks!

--rick

ParkRNDL said:
it looks like a part of the springer is twisted a little.... I have exactly zero experience with springers... can these be fiddled with?

im not the brightest but, they bend em to make 'em, just use as little force as necessary, ive had a pyramid springer i bullied back into place before. as far as the front fender link, on the grey ghost it was a tube rather than a bracket that i noticed at WallyWorld, but it was screwed on the fender from the bottom then you have to take out the bottom bolt holding the fork legs to the steer tube.

these things were on sale clearance for 69 bux too bad its not less. Maybe I should wait it out and see if they go lower?

ok, it's freakin 2:30 AM, but I couldn't leave this thing alone... I had to mess with it. here's my green BFK/Crazy 88 after a 20" wheel, a generic white sparkle seat with a little curve to it, and some wider generic bars...

greenray02.JPG

greenray01.JPG

greenray03.JPG

greenray04.JPG

when I get around to getting a new sissy and grips and whitewalls and some other stuff, i think it'd be cool to go for this look:

DSC01413.JPG

(the above image stolen shamelessly from "hot-rod roadster" on the HAMB... hey, man, if you're reading this and you want me to take it down, lemme know and I'll pull it... :D )

I doubt I would have ever bought myself an original Sting Ray, unless I got lucky and stole one ridiculously cheap at a yard sale or something. But I'm pretty stoked that I can thrash the bejeezus out of this one and look good doing it...

--rick

you got the right idea. i'm adding a glitter seat, 60s sissybar, 47 inch with the taper - a 3 speed rear hub w/coaster brake and a 20 inch front, also 64-65 wide style stingray handlebars to my black $88 classic.

That looks nice! Have fun! 8)

sensor said:
ohhhhhh theyve been called crazy88s for awhile(on the schwinn site), just havent heard them reffered to as the here yet until you just mentioned it

gotcha, well im only on this site so i was waitin for it, i knew i wasnt the only tarantino fan around haha
nice DKM sig too, i saw them in philly with flogging molly

xddorox said:
That looks real good Park. That first picture got my attention right away, pure candy for the eye. 8)

thanks! :mrgreen: too bad i took it in my kitchen... my refrigerator doesn't make the best background... :roll:

--rick

Back