Stingray Classic at Walmart for $88! Not the new style!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL..... you know, it's a sad day when a forum devoted to beautiful bikes begins to adopt the position that $88 bikes from Walmart are "COOL".
Beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder! What may be cool to one, may not be cool to others. I don't find all of the bikes on this site very pretty, but some to me are awesome as he**! Who knows, maybe these cheap wally world bikes, might spark the interest in some youngsters, and get them into bikes, and each kid interested in something such as bikes, is one less kid on crack!

i have a question about morals if ppl on the bay are willing to pay $140 for an $88 bike is it wrong to sell to them? i just checking sales and there were a few that sold ranging from $125 to $145. Part of me is saying it's wrong but the other part of me is saying "how many bikes have you sold that you found in the trash" is there really a difference?

TornadoDave said:
LOL..... you know, it's a sad day when a forum devoted to beautiful bikes begins to adopt the position that $88 bikes from Walmart are "COOL".
Why is every post you make negative?

na I was under that imprestion aswell!

TornadoDave.......

who cares were the bike is from...it is the style that the bike represents!!!! PLUS the fact that its $88!!!! I do not know about you? but I do not have much money. So when a $88 cool looking bike with all the bling shows up!....than darn right I'm going to grab it up! :D :p

It may be a sad day for you!!!! but to a Rat Rod Builder....It's a Great Day!!!!

FW

I think these repops will make the real deals worth more hoenstly, just dont get suckered :mrgreen:

Wal-mart pressures their suppliers visciously to make stuff cheaper so they are affordable, if theres a market, ya cant blame them for tryin. Schwinn is just a name anymore so it doesnt surprise me, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

In Dave's defense....like many of us, I think he's just feeling the pain of the demise of the great U.S. bike makers.

I too wish that Schwinn wouldn't have crashed and burned like they did and that their bikes were still quality and made in the USA, but that's not a reality and unfortunately it probably never will be again. I think outsider said it best when he noted that we live in a throw away society. Someone even told me recently that Wal-Mart throws away the bikes that they get back as returns.

Are the Schwinns being sold at Wal-Mart these days cheap knock-offs....yes. Are they worth the $50-$88 that they are being sold for...probably so. Whether or not someone wants to spend the money on them is up to them. I'd much rather see these pop up at the resale shop over the hoards of cheap BMX and mountain bikes I see each week.

It has been fun watching the guys on the Schwinn forum swap out parts and customize these bikes....maybe they are catching on to the Rat Rod idea afterall, ha ha. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Someone even told me recently that Wal-Mart throws away the bikes that they get back as returns.

:shock: WHERE? out back in the dumpster? or do they get shipped out somewhere?

The guy I talked to said that they would give the returned bikes away to charities that could prove their status and would come pick them up. Otherwise he said they just pitch them and eat the cost....which apparently isn't much these days.

Who knows if that is nationwide policy though.

Probably another reason they don't want to carry high quality bikes.

http://www.memorylane-classics.com/ <---- BFKs for $225 :oops:

A respected bike shop selling same bike for $225...would that change the cool factor?

:wink: I agree...Tornado D is just down on what has become of an American Icon.

But just remember these nobal words: "When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around ..."

the-police-reunion-tour.jpg

nationwide policy.... yes but it is the same fine as shoplifting if your caught dumpster diving in their trash. so tread lightly...

Rat Rod said:
The guy I talked to said that they would give the returned bikes away to charities that could prove their status and would come pick them up. Otherwise he said they just pitch them and eat the cost....which apparently isn't much these days.

Who knows if that is nationwide policy though.

Probably another reason they don't want to carry high quality bikes.

my mom husbad is a garbage truck driver and one of his stops is wall mart he comes home with so much stuff from them. Most of my xmas decorations is from that dumpster including my huge blow up santa on a chopper but sadly he says any bikes in there are completely crushed

Man this topic doesn't want to die! If I refer to the "rebirth" of old classics, I would say that the $88 Stingray is a good thing. Compared to the recent, yet brief, revival of the Raleigh Chopper that was missing all the cool stuff, I say that the $88 special comes out pretty good. It retains the basic features of the original at a rock bottom price, I would buy one if I had access to one where I didn't even think of buying the reborn Chopper. That's my 2 cents I will remain silent on other opinions I have on the subject in fear for my life...just kidding :D

i keep going back and forth on whether to buy one (or more...)

how do they ride?

and how do they ride if you're 6'3" 240pounds? :wink:

oct.

I couldn't tell you yet...mine's still in the box. :shock:

I was sort of waiting around to see what becomes of the things.

I figured I could always take it back and get my money back if I found something better to spend $88 on.

It has taken some will power though to not tear into it and play.

My guess is that they will hurt your butt like the rest of them do after 5 minutes of riding...ha ha!

october said:
how do they ride?

and how do they ride if you're 6'3" 240pounds? :wink:

oct.

i havent got a new/new i like my grape repop, im 250# / 6' and i do fine for around town (town is 2x2 miles), but like steve said, your butt will ache, the springer sissy on the grey ghost was fantastic though compared to the grape. i do have taller bars on mine though

My wife was at Wally World today and they still had them. Still at $88.....if they were $50 I might think of buying one. Will wait and see.

well i went to wally world the other night for cat fud to see what all the fuss was about. really it was a "code" run to see what the stingray looked like and here is my take.

they had two the black and green. not really diggin the black because the seat was flat black with the white strip. i did however really like the green one because the seat was white metalic with a green strip would make a killer bike for the club. i think it has potential for being ratted and you really cant pick it apart too much when the darn thing costs 88 smackaroos. only thing that really bugged me was the sprocket that looked too fat and the stamping was really bad. makes no sense since they already have the tooling for the more original style that came on the repop stingray that is avalible through bike shops like college cyclery. although it is now out of production but you can bet they still have the tooling. also things like the welds are not as nice and the grips were a bit corny. other than that i think it is a good buy for the money.

Back