One more Time ((riding pics added))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry out of the tubing I'm going to use....Gonna be a tune the last build day. Still needs bondo and a kickstand....then paint. I will make a decision on the material to use Monday. I should be laying on the couch eating twinkies, watching westerns, and building up energy for this next build. At 59 I have some stuff that hurts. Its funny I have dropped this last bike more than I have ever dropped one before. I just watch it fall now....I dont even try to grab it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

deorman said:
Looks like you've got the top half licked! :)

That is what my pratice bike builds have been for. I got most of the build...just that silly bottom tube thats giving me problems.

As always looks like it rides great. Doesn't look awkward starting from a stop which isn't the case with a lot of stretched bikes. You must have the ratio of stretch to height right. How about a change of scenery for your next video. Run down to Galveston and get the beach as your backdrop :D

Ah the wife is busy today Randy ,I'm getting an itching for some crawfish ettofe from my favorite place ...Benno's. I'm not sure about taking an unpainted bike near the gulf though.....It would rust before I got home. :lol: :lol:

Well I took the bike back apart and smeared the first of several coats of bondo on my fantastic welds. One of these days I'll win the lotto and buy a TIG and throw all my bondo away. I got the kick stand done too ,so nothing left but the beautification process. A day or so of smoothing everything and then paint. Kim messed up my plan for yellow ...only a couple choices left....hummm I have used red ,black,orange...silver...Ain't many choices left. Oh well it will come to me in a dream. :roll: :shock:

Uncle Stretch said:
Oh well it will come to me in a dream. :roll: :shock:

:: whispers hypnotically "you want to paint the bike blue Stretch..Blue ..Like the sky...blue Stretch...you want blue bike" :: hehehe ...

Any colour (besides yellow) would be good mate, yellow is just so...fairy like LoL..Its ok as a 'highlight colour for pin striping etc...just toooo much for whole frame IMHO.. Your bike though buddy dont let my thoughts stop you if you want yellow go for it, least you will be very visible on the roads :)

KiM

Hey Kim it really dosent matter on the color ,because I will probably not have it very long. They all seem to find homes. Its not something I want anyway. I might can find some royal blue that would look pretty good. :?

Hey Stretch,
Sounds like the tubing was tough on you. I realize it was fairly thick. But did you find out what it was material wise? Are you sure it isnt Chromoly? or DOM?

ERW (Electrical Rolled and Welded) is more than strong enough for bike frames. Has a visible seam where you can see it was welded, but you cant feel it, the outside surface it totally smooth, the inside surface has a ridge where the actual weld is.
image002.jpg

DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) is essentially the same as ERW only the tube is drawn over a mandrel which flattens out the internal ridge left by welding which makes it stronger (and harder to bend)
image004.jpg

Chromoly Is a special steel alloy, making bends with this stuff is VERY tough unless you have some serious equipment.

You might check with your supplier to see just what kind of tubing he is selling you.

It just regular tubing. The problem bending comes from the thickness. I have used several gauges. The 16 gauge bends like a dream. the thicker 13 has so much wall thickness that a cheap china roll bender has a hard time with it. You stick that thinner stuff in and a few passes and you can produce a circle. The thick stuff will work you to death. I have asked about chromoly tubing ,but they order it and its really pricy. Not a real need for it in my application. I'm not building raceing bikes...just cruisers. I about have my sizes and thickness down pat. Not knowing at first what to use I tried several things. If you use 1 5/8 with a 1 1/2 rollers it will mash the tubing in to the roller and give you an oval effect. If you use 1 1/4 in a 1 1/2 roller it will flatten it on both sides. For some special effects you can use the wrong size tubing. That oval bend looked pretty good on the top tube of the orange bike. :roll:

Ratfink1962 said:
Hey Stretch,
Sounds like the tubing was tough on you. I realize it was fairly thick. But did you find out what it was material wise? Are you sure it isnt Chromoly? or DOM?

ERW (Electrical Rolled and Welded) is more than strong enough for bike frames. Has a visible seam where you can see it was welded, but you cant feel it, the outside surface it totally smooth, the inside surface has a ridge where the actual weld is.
image002.jpg

DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) is essentially the same as ERW only the tube is drawn over a mandrel which flattens out the internal ridge left by welding which makes it stronger (and harder to bend)
image004.jpg

Chromoly Is a special steel alloy, making bends with this stuff is VERY tough unless you have some serious equipment.

You might check with your supplier to see just what kind of tubing he is selling you.

ERW stands for Electric Resistance Welded

Ok today I got off my lazy rear and put the bondo on all the welds and sanded them down. I painted the frame blue first....someones idea....looked terrible...maybe I'm not a blue kinda guy. Anyway it adds thickness to the paint . Then I painted it Dupli color wheel paint...graphite. I have used this color before and had good luck with it. Still working on some forks. I'm adding another fork sliced to the top of this one to match the 1 1/4'' tubing I put on the legs.

graphite003.jpg

Yep Jon its about the only place that did look good. The straight one I stuck in there the first time about midways really looked bad. If I had done a curved one just like the top one it would have looked so colson. Glad you like it. The color is kinda subdued compared to the orange. Yall know me I will repaint in a heartbeat so it my not stay this color. :wink:

The frame is looking good. I really like those Basman too, I got one on my desktop. Have you thought about charcoal gray, choosing a color is one of hardest part of projects.

This Graphite color is real close to natural metal color. Its kinda like if you just cleared the frame ,but even looking. Could have done flat black primer , but to me it looks so unfinished. :lol:

Well most of the build is done. Still have that clip thing that holds the brake arm and the chain and I'm done. I took some 1 1/4'' tubing and slid over a fork then welded it and the dropouts in. Then took another of the same round fork and sliced the top in half and welded it on the top where the whole fork would look bigger...then a little grinding ...some bondo and a little squirt of paint and it looks like it should. Still should have been yellow to make all the black stand out. What was I thinking..... :shock: :shock:

nocolor003.jpg

Latest posts

Back