One more Time ((riding pics added))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: One more Time

13 Gauge is .095" wall thickness or 2.413mm. Does that answer your question?

Later T

Uncle Stretch said:
Yeah for sure just dropping it wont make a dent in any part of it. You could probably run over it with a car and not hurt it.

Maybe finish it off with heavy duty rims etc and donate it too The Biggest Loser for them too ride about hehee

KiM

To give you an idea of how strong 13G tubing is, I use 1.5" dia. X .095 (13G) for roll cages on racing desert cars. Big Harley's use .083" thick wall tubing which is 14 Gauge and most bikes are built with .065" (16G) and .049" (18G).

Later T

Its funny I have been at a stop on this frame build. I started trying to build some sort of a frontend. I stuck the 26x3's I got from Kenda on it ,and while messing with it ...knocked it off my table. It bounced around and hit several things in my shop....guess what no dents. :lol: I have seen them crack frames with those 2 cycle motors...wouldnt happen to this one.

26x3002.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
knocked it off my table. It bounced around and hit several things in my shop....guess what no dents.

Frames ok...but howz the floor LoL

The vibration of the 2 strokes is the cause of the cracking, doesn't help 99% of the "builders" use cheap quality bikes

Someone could make a packet making custom frames for the motored bike community, theres only 2 guyz i know of
and they aren't making any full time just occasionally, all are sold before any are even made they are that popular.

KiM

p.s the organge bender in front of the table is the same config as i use Uncle :)

Mine is a 12 ton Kim . I think you said yours was a 10 ton. I doubt if it makes any differance. I just got my blownup pic of a basman,so all other projects just went on hold . This weekend I'm going to try to bend that double curve tube for the bottom. I hope it turns out ok. If so then the rest of the build should be a piece of cake. I'm excited. I really want one and all this bending and building had been a prelude to this build.

Ok I was going to put this frame on hold ,but I figured I moved some stuff and I really needed to see how it fit. On this one I moved the BB closer by two inches. The orange build was a little long. Two inches makes this one just a tad too short. It seems as though one inch would have been perfect. Seems like if your fat and 5'9'' ...22 1/2'' from the front of the seat post to the side Of the BB is perfect. I added another tube a little different and it looks better. It still takes long bars...not a bigie ,but maybe one day I will build one that looks good, has the bars in your face and the pedal length just perfect. I could raise the seat a little ,but that would kill the low seat cool look. Anyway here is what it looks like riding.

Thanks Sidsky. It does seen a little more nimble that the others I have built lately. It will turn quick and not act stupid. I must have gotten the rake really right. I was figure eighting really good, and didnt bust my rear once. :lol:

Ok I havent even painted this one yet. Wait, it will look good...some easter egg bright glarish color. Maybe yellow or something equally as flashy. The bars on it are some old longhorns that I added a little less than the grip length..ah la chainsaw method of lengthening bars.

When i got the email notification of 'update' i expected the page to open to a new frame in the works uuuhm...whats the hold up Uncle Stretch you've had a day to rest come on man!! hahaa...seriously though, how about a metallic blue colour, maybe sky blue? Im not a fan of yellow pleeease not mellow yellow Uncle pllllease not...

KiM

That silly double curve kicked my rear. I used my hydrolic bender and that 13 ga 1 1/2'' tubing. It was a terrible experiance. When you get some curve bent in the tubing the roller wants to slide it towards the straight part. It put dents and wrinkles in so bad I'm not sure bondo will cover it. The stupid curved die part was 1 5/8 or something and it distorted the tubing flatter. Once I got it bent where it almost matched my drawing I tried to mash the tubing rounder and it actually straightened some of the curves out. I'm thinking either use some of the schedule 40 pipe in 1'' od and my bender or one of those electricians hickey benders.
I had made several changes on this frame from the orange one. About 2'' shorter and 2'' less on the seat to the BB. I needed to finish it to see if what I changed I liked or not. Really everybody is missing the point on these builds. They are not for the bike or to come up with a great design....I'm just building them to see what material I like size wise and to see what kinda of bends I can make. I love the look and the style and I wanted the bugs worked out before I got to it. Its getting close...still honeing my skills.
Man Kim I read some on that Endless Sphere...way over my head with tech stuff. It was like if you dont have a degree from MIT in electronics , your a dummie over there.It made me sleepy too. :lol:

With the hydraulic bender i find wrapping rag around the rollers helps alot with the dents in the top of the tube, 4-5 wraps then masking tap...
To do the reverse bend on them though the only way i have had success is doing one largish bend by marking the tube in 10cm increments taking up
the strain then pumping count your strokes, then move to the next mark do the same untill you have a nice wrinkle free bend (work your way out from center of bend), then, cut it in the midl flip one side around sleeve and plug weld it, when its straight and your happy with it you can then go ahead and weld the entire join. Flap disk the weld off and noby is the wiser :) How i did my front tube...

RE: Endless Sphere haha yes there are some .... cluey fellas there, im not one of them, The non-hub motor section i suggested contains the pick of the bunch IMO
it is more technical than the hub motor section with gear ratios reduction drives and the like, if you want oooober easy Uncle, hub motor controller and throttle cant go wrong they all plug into one another nothing too learn at all..could have a hub motor fitted to any bike in under an hour eeeeasy without ever having read a word of instructions. :)

Look forward to seeing the new build mate, have we a design sketched or is it in the head?

KiM

Yeah Kim I did that cut and reweld trick on the last one. and i'm going to use it to build mine. I think I'll get it ,but its going to be a slow build. I normally do one in about 4 or 5 days with paint and everything , but I'm going to slow down on this one because It should be my best if I can pull it off. Or I can save my money and order one for the $1900 eeeekkkkkk :shock: :shock: :shock: . I think I can take my time.

This is the bike I want...soooo bad

346_purely_custom.jpg

Latest posts

Back