One-Liner.... Now in FINISHED BIKES thread !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave. Yeah, the left side got a little more paint with the dark, so the lines are more defined. I'm kind of torn though, because the whole job is kind of the way I wanted it to be....or, maybe just a thin line with another brown tone , marker or something....to highlight it if that's what you mean.
It's just one method, but it's relatively cheap if you have an art supply store nearby:
Take some raw or burnt sienna oil paint and use it to tint some turpentine (the real stuff - not the synthetic), and you can run that along the edge of the flames, and kind of pull the wash/filter off away from the edge. The sienna should look like the more raw, orangey rust color, and if it drips/pools a little toward the bottom of the area you're working on, you can either dab it off or just let it go like water/rust stains. This will take a little time to dry, but you can do a light bit first, and go back with more if you like where it's going. Just clear it with flat/satin clear when you're done.

MN weather is amazing. It could be melting icecream trucks into the ground one day then you wake up the next morning to there being snow... and that snow will stay for a week straight even though its 80 degrees outside. Then it will rain for four days yet they're all sunny, then it'll be humid and when you think it's all down the sky will turn black as mosquitoes come flying away with dogs and small children as they drain every ounce of blood from your body leaving you pondering buzzing agony "WHY. Why? Why did I forget to turn off the oven."

Or at least that's my experiences. Your MN mileage may vary.o_O

I do like the subtle flames:rockout: They have that hint of a bikes wild streak before it was lobbed into a the corner of the garage and spray bombed in the 1980's.:crazy:

Looking GOOD maybe a wash of color, I mean barely color just a wash. Ever see old train cars when the paint is just washed off? What you have going is awesome, I'd think about satin or flat coating it now, that would protect where it's at and allow you to proceed with more tinting or what have you, and let you backtrack if you don't like it especially if you work in acrylic instead of oil... (easier to wash back off...) another medium I've used in model RR is chalk, there is a great selection of artists chalks available that you can weather with.

Carl.

Good point Carl. I believe that will be my next step, the matte clear coat. Work today, tomorrow is supposed to be drier; good day for that! If you find a pic of what you are describing by the 'old train cars when the paint is washed off' send it my way will you? Appreciate it!

It's just one method, but it's relatively cheap if you have an art supply store nearby:
Take some raw or burnt sienna oil paint and use it to tint some turpentine (the real stuff - not the synthetic), and you can run that along the edge of the flames, and kind of pull the wash/filter off away from the edge. The sienna should look like the more raw, orangey rust color, and if it drips/pools a little toward the bottom of the area you're working on, you can either dab it off or just let it go like water/rust stains. This will take a little time to dry, but you can do a light bit first, and go back with more if you like where it's going. Just clear it with flat/satin clear when you're done.
I actually have some burnt sienna oil tubes here at the house. Maybe I'll spray a piece laying around here and try this method. Another rust color never hurts in my book! :bigsmile:

I'm leaning towards the non-3D version, but the 3D flames have potential. It would help to zoom out and show a pic of the whole bike with the 3D flames so that we can get a better feel on how they look in relation to the whole.

KF, you are right. I do need to add a couple more pieces to the puzzle (which should be here early next week) before I make the final decision. If the present ghost flames get lost in the mix, I will definitely consider some kind of 'relief' on the flames. Thank God we have 3 1/2 more months....!

012914USup355275yellowBox-34R.jpg

Notice the white in the UP shield is washing down, I believe the union pacific letters on the left were red! Also see the rust lines are all top to the bottom in vertical lines. That's how the rain rusts everything, top to the bottom. Often hints of color at the bottom edges of shields, emblems, or logos are the last bits to go.

Carl.

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, I really want to see this process of coloring and rusting ! I've mentioned to Ren Man on another forum that I'd love to learn some technique in this area...looks like there's going to be some lessons happenin right here !
If anyone wants to give me some pointers in my build thread, that'd great !
Particularly interested in ways to wash rust and color on to bare steel areas...(fenders)

Oh man, I really want to see this process of coloring and rusting ! I've mentioned to Ren Man on another forum that I'd love to learn some technique in this area...looks like there's going to be some lessons happenin right here !
If anyone wants to give me some pointers in my build thread, that'd great !
Particularly interested in ways to wash rust and color on to bare steel areas...(fenders)

Go on YouTube, search for "faux rust finishes" and you will be rewarded. I never imagined that there so many different and effective techniques...even on styrofoam. It's become a cottage industry. Decide on the look you want and pick your poison.

Great link.
I'm also looking for a kind of wash technique to get some color onto bare and rusty metal...but I'll take that up in my own thread ! Thanks !

Got a couple new parts in today. Just propped them up on the bike to get some input from the masses. The handlebars are part of my 'stash' I picked up from my 'dealer' in April.....he's been very good to me. I also got the 'liner bike from him last Spring.

Still not completely decided on seat style. I do know I want to be able to ride it, and I want whatever seat is on there to be placed back and over the rear wheel.

These are just a couple more pieces, the puzzle is still forming. Thoughts?

IMG_20160513_191151.jpg
IMG_20160513_191024.jpg
IMG_20160513_191104.jpg

Just my two cents, but one of these bananas would follow the lines nicely, and get you slammed low over the wheel. Huffy, I believe, and I see them on ebay fairly often. The early bmx-style seat doesn't work with the elegant lines you have going, in my humblest of opinions.

furyus

Back