One-Liner.... Now in FINISHED BIKES thread !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great vid and great place to get away from it all.

In the farming world we had a saying, "Make hay while the sun shines." We have had three great 'hay making' days here in the north country! And progress on my bike builds is going well.

One-Liner....I finally had some break-throughs in my thought process on this one. I took off the girl bars (too narrow for this guy) and popped in another set I had in the 'rust pile'. Perfect. I now know two things for sure, and one of them is these bars - in this position-on this bike!

IMG_20160503_095818.jpg
IMG_20160503_095757.jpg

Tank is just zip tied on for mock up purposes, but that is where it will reside. I always wanted to turn an old Honda scrambler into a cafe racer. Don't know enough about engines (and, I'd probably come to an early end riding it) to do a motorcycle that way.....this will be my version of a pedal cafe racer!

Like it OJ.
I'm a cafe fan myself, but I've been wanting to build one out of an old husqvarna enduro.
Oh, and I think I might have an idea for the seat. I'll dig it out and send you a pic.

....and the 'hay making' continues! My 'Faded Glory' tribute build is a rider! Not done with all the tweaks yet, have a fat chain guard in the mail atm, may switch the rear fender to match the front one gleaned from the Firestone Monark girls bike....but she rides, and is it ever a smooooth one on those Fat Franks! Wow!

Here's a question: I would like to turn the bent seatpost around to accommodate my body on the bike better. When I do however, the seat is nosed up and tilted too far back. If I could change the angle, and open it up wider, I could get it to sit flat (like it does now) but with the extension pointing back to get my knees in the right position (long femur) over the pedals. Help? Hints? How hot do I have to get the post to get it to bend? Would a hand held blow torch do the trick?

I know this is stepping a bit to the side of the RRB BO-11, but this build means a lot to me and I appreciate your input! Thanks!

Here's the link to the 'Faded Glory' build:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/faded-glory-tribute-build.98158/

IMG_20160503_114817.jpg

That's a solid 5/8" rod isn't it? You should be able to heat it, if you're using one of those propane torches probably start with a full tank.

Make a jig to hold the post, heat where you want the bend and use a big cheater pipe for leverage.

Great introduction to this build..Need to get me a spaceliner one day...Will be watching this one...

If you DO go with the café theme, consider using a small banana seat off of a 12" or 16" starter bike. A standard 20" muscle bike seat is waaaay too long, but the smaller one may be just the ticket!

I sure think that clamp in between the seat rails should be able to tilt to accept the different angle. But hey, I'm just a hacker, that heating it up and rebending the post angle should work too. That Back 40 shack is awesome too brother.

Carl.

I sure think that clamp in between the seat rails should be able to tilt to accept the different angle. But hey, I'm just a hacker, that heating it up and rebending the post angle should work too. That Back 40 shack is awesome too brother.

Carl.
Thanks Carl. There is a 'stopper' in the front that the seat nose hooks to, and in the reverse position, it jams up against the horizontal part of the seat post. I will try the heating method on Saturday when I'm back in the saddle...so to speak...

One Liner is looking good!

I think you'd need to get the post glowing red to bend it. Not sure a propane torch will do it. Might be worth posting up a thread in the how to section.

Lots of guys on here probably know the answer unfortunately I'm not one of them..:D

Alright, so I just set my new record for days between progress posts in a RRB build....! As most of you know, I'm like a bowling ball rolling downhill on my builds....once I get started I don't stop till I hit the end of the run. I have been preoccupied with 'Faded Glory' in the BUILDS forum. Got that far enough along now that I'm ready for some action on One-Liner.

I'm wanting to do something that has these influences...

rat rod style.jpg

motorcycle style.jpg

Testors 730 Diggersldexc++.JPG

Crusty and rodded like the truck....set up like the motorcycle....and the vibe of Digger Weird Ohs model kit. I loved Weird Ohs as a kid, had a pile of them, and was about as into them as a farm kid from Minnesota could be!

Have some parts on the way....will have to see how they 'fit'.....

So... A huge 3 foot shifter is on the drawing board?

Luke.

I actually have a hollowed out Magic 8 Ball to use for that exact purpose on some build in the future.

I just love the smell of freshly drilled fiberglass in the morning....

Inside out...jpg

The bride awaits....

the bride awaits.....jpg

My violin bench (now bike bench) clamp works perfectly for this job....

bench clamp tank.jpg

@The Renaissance Man , I ran my tape so it intersected the center of the top and bottom holes for the head tube....Worked well! Then held my bit at that angel when drilling.

blue tape line.jpg

I bet @GuitarlCarl can tell us what this long 3/16" bit is used for.....

guitar bit.jpg

'Liners up' perfectly!

She's 'lined' up.jpg

....and awaaaay we go!

I use mine to relieve the pressure form earworms.

An earworm, sometimes known as a brainworm, is a catchy piece of music that continually repeats through a person's mind after it is no longer playing. Phrases used to describe an earworm include "musical imagery repetition", "involuntary musical imagery", and "stuck song syndrome".

Carl.

I use mine to relieve the pressure form earworms.

An earworm, sometimes known as a brainworm, is a catchy piece of music that continually repeats through a person's mind after it is no longer playing. Phrases used to describe an earworm include "musical imagery repetition", "involuntary musical imagery", and "stuck song syndrome".

Carl.

I'm not even gonna push play, I don't want it stuck in my head. It can be nightmarish.

Back