(MBBO Class 1) Hot Purple Valiant!! ( done.. ) )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend I hope to have the backrest padding and wrap glued to it and them mounted to the bike. Excited for the new look that will bring.

Last weekend while out cruizing the yard sales I found a 3 dollar army canteen to wrap to the sissy.

Still looking for the rear drum hub that I want to lace in.

Spemt saturday riding with a buddy on saturday. And sunday when I took this bike out, had a hard brake, the coaste brake broke and spun in the dropouts.
Thinking what todo to repair it...

I have alumiflux brazing rod, may try bending it back to shape, and filling in the hogged out grooves...

Man that's a bummer I hope you can fill it and get it fixed back. If not maybe you could bolt a metal plate to it if there's enough material

This frame is done until I get some time togo down to the metal shop and pick some thcker plate to make a dropout. Quite bummed. :headbang:

The stainless plate I have isn't strong enuff to stand on its own. The dropout snapped as I was bending it back to start fitting in some stainless.

Last edited:
Was hurrying before dark. Had to trim the head tube a bit. Them out on the forks.

Then fitted those tall apes.

The wife was giving me crap for the pink wheel, so popped a 24" chromed wheel on it.

Took it out front, put a larger cruiser tire on back.

I'm loving the way this new frame rides. I can stand and petal and not have the springer absorbing pull. The black frame gave me issues on hills when I have to stand. And the seven speed on back is a bonus.

I can picture putting a longer shock on back to raise, and dropping long cranks and a huge front sprocket on it. Give it that down hill racing look.

In the morning, I'm gonna drop the banana seat and sissy onto it and put some miles on it.

Ha, looks like you are having fun with that $35 bike! You will need to allow the sissybar/seat to hinge somehow or it will limit the effect of the rear suspension. But hey, you probably already have a plan brewing!

If you're going to put a banana seat and sissy bar on it I'd replace the shock with a solid strut. The sissy bar will connect you backside to the axle of the bike rendering the shock useless when seated.

On the plus side, you can replace the shock with any length of strut you want for cheaper than a new shock.

If you're going to put a banana seat and sissy bar on it I'd replace the shock with a solid strut. The sissy bar will connect you backside to the axle of the bike rendering the shock useless when seated.

On the plus side, you can replace the shock with any length of strut you want for cheaper than a new shock.

I was just looking thru the garage for I know I have some extendible threaded solid eye bolts somewhere. May have to make something up in the morning.

Frame swap for the build off?
If so, what is it?

Carl. :android:

Your choice bro, frame swap or two bikes...
Some of us have two entries...
I have 1 in each class.

Carl. :android:

Ok, I have limited funds, with the holiday season starting up, so will keep it in this thread unless I happen acrossed another set of apes and seat for the right price.

So this morning I went to the junk pile and pulled a longer shock from a y frame mtb. Found some schedule 40 1" ID pipe in the garage and cut a length to replace the spring. Reamed off the sharp edges from the tubing cutter, and slid it back together. Then I cut off the end so I could thread in the base tube. Net result:

It rased the cranks anothe 1.5 inches off the ground.

Sissy bolts on well now.

Need a long brake cable and I'm going for a ride.

Back