(MBBO Class 1) Hot Purple Valiant!! ( done.. ) )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the clutch linkage working on it this morning and cut/ soldered in some longer cables to fit the bars.

Drove it to carclub this morning instead of the Dart. Got a lot of whipped necks as I brought it in.
A fair number of my gearhead buddys came over and wanted to know everything about it. A couple of them are now looking to engine up their cruizers. Lol.

More bikes show up every week.

The springer, with the new 8 1/2 inch tube, doesn't line up on the bolt. Thinking of cutting a keyway thru the top cage and adding a bracket to raise the bolt 1* and hardbolt it to the cage for alighment. Thoughts? Better way?

Could bend that top bracket down and use a longer bolt. You'll need either a longer spring too or a spacer.... could maybe take some out of the frame (didn't you take some out already?) but you'd only gain maybe a half inch. Could fab a new top bracket with more drop... but what ever you do had better be bulletproof with a motor pushin' it...

Carl. :android:

Last edited:
Could bend that top bracket down and use a longer bolt. You'll need either a longer spring too or a spacer.... could maybe take some out of the frame (didn't you take some out already?) but you'd only gain maybe a half inch. Could fab a new top bracket with more drop... but what ever you do had better be bulletproof with a motor pushin' it...

Carl. :android:
Thanks Carl,

Slightly flattened head bracket and a 1.5" longer bolt and some dodge 440 valve springs and retainers, put the angles like this.

It would work with the longer bolt and a chrok e spring but not liking the angles too well.

Drew out a relocating bracket. And want to give it a try. I think I mqy like it better, we will see.

And adding it to my list of stainless brackets to make.

Also there are the sissy (move to the back of the seat ) brackets for the tail light attach to.

That is a drastic angle...:13:
I like your bracket idea better.
Did you ever trim the head tube down?

Carl.

Used the tubing cutter to cut in some lines and then the cutoff wheel to take off a square cut.

Then used a 240 grit flap disc to smooth it out.

Shortened to 6 inches and a little change. At this size, no mods to the spring cage will be needed. I have a seven inch fork tube that will fit perfectly.

Ran out of light. Will use a diamond cut milling bit on the drill tomorrow to ream enuff depth on the top cap for the bearing race to fit in.

Looks good.

Idk how heavy you are & how much torque your motor has but that could be interesting.

With my 230# behind on a standard seat on my motorized bike if I was on a slight incline and went to take off the front wheel would lift off the ground if I wasn't careful.

Another good trick is to gear the bike for easy peddle assist for faster acceleration so as not to hold up traffic.

Last edited:
I'm about 200lb. Back before I had a clutch lever on it, pedal starting it would bring the nose up if i was in grass. Never lifted it with the engine alone, yet.

The springer added a little weight to the nose. but I will be moving the sissy back an inch or so, which will change the nose lift again.

When I put the 24" on the nose that will re-distribute a little to the front.

No matter how it ends up, I certain it will be a blast to ride.

all I did was put the top bracket in a vise put the bolt in and heated it up and bent it to around 90 degree angle and put it on flipped around,I did this cos I didnt want to cut my frame down
iphone136_zpsa32d6f1b.jpg

Don't you just love it when your pets approves your builds? I know my cats love my bikes when they use the saddles as their bathroom, hahaha. Now they're all covered with plastic bags. :)
She's a puppy, a little over 1 1/2 years old, her and the other two love it when I cruise out around the back yard,. Its better than playing ball, to work off the excess puppy energy. I try to race her acrossed the yard, but rarely win.

Back