Low Tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used heat. To me it seemed like some of the pre-war forks were "soft", and very easy to bend. I've had limited luck on the modern tubular forks (No crown on top). I kinked a couple trying to go as far as and oval tube. I primarily use road bike forks, 27", for the lenth. That way I can put a radical bend, and use a 24" tire-wheel.

I stepped away from the forks for a while and since they are a bolt in item I have some time to find other more suitable ones. The temples I made for the tank are accura
20140519_192957_zpsbcz8rnoo.jpg
te and I was able to turn them into metal this evening. Havent used the tig welder in a while but it came back pretty easily. Here is a photo of the tank progress . Thanks for your encoragement.
20140519_184519_zpse2dbkhth.jpg
I will get this iPad figured out and not make such a mess of the posts.

Very cool tank. I have been thinking about building one but cannot afford the mig or tig set up. I am wondering if a arc welder is even possible for this. A cheap arc welder at that.

Very cool tank. I have been thinking about building one but cannot afford the mig or tig set up. I am wondering if a arc welder is even possible for this. A cheap arc welder at that.
An arc welder is a bit too aggressive on thin sheet metal. You could do the basic sheet work, mark up some reference points and tape it together for a local welder to stitch it together for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't arc welded since high school and can't imagine trying with 22 gauge sheet metal. I did use a mig to hold it together and switched over to the tig for the longer runs. I used 1/16th silicon bronze rod which cooled things down at the spot of weld. The sheet didn't warp until I'd welded in a acorn nut on the top that will be used to hold the tank in place. I had to turn up the heat to get the nut to melt and couldn't keep the 22 gauge cool enough. The top looks like a the lake On a windy day. Still need to add the fuel outlet and make sure it is all sealed. I did pick up a toddler bike at a garage sale for 6 bucks. Will use the 32 tooth sprocket and short crank. I want to keep the motor as low as possible. Should be interesting to pedal with less than a 2:1 ratio. I only really need to pedal the bike to get the motor started. Now with the holiday weekend behind me I should be able to spend some time on the low tracker. Thanks for all of your kind words and encouragement.
Kevin

Got distracted with a project that is coming to an end. Since its the beginning of boating season I made a floating dock for my dinghy.
20140602_200530_zpspy22lebt.jpg

Now I can get back to the Low tracker. Have been doing some welding on the frame closing up all of the cuts I made during the mods. also modified the bottom bracket of the toddler bike to fit into the bb of the project. Still more welding to do now that I've gotten the argon tank
filled.
20140603_155333_zpspuqfhprz.jpg
Should be able to test ride it in a few days.

"but I absolutely love the cafe style mini-bike in your avatar"
This was a winter project from a few years ago. Looked cool and ran hard with the 8hp snow blower engine. My kids had no interest in riding it so, like most things I work on, went down the road to a new owner. He rides it in parades.

20140604_195540_zpsxrlj3m04.jpg
Spent some time in the garage tonight. Made the bracket to hold the chain guard in place and started to fit the motor. With the motor low in the frame it looks really small in the space. I did ride the low tracker toady with good results. Takes some getting used to with the small crank. Starting to decide on colors and am leaning toward gold/copper with a cream accent. I am using cream tires. Any suggestions? What color should the wheels be with cream tires?

This will be the last update for a week or so. Good weekend in WI so not much got done on the bike. This I the part of the build that a lot of work only nets small gains. This shape is poping up on the bike in several places.
cbc455d292c1bd29d507aa235839c756_zpsa787ddfc.jpg

I wasn't happy with the amount of space the small motor left so I started experimenting with filling it up with a suitable accent. this is an idea to link into the cutlass shape that seems to be prevalent on the low tracker. I like the concept but will have to work on execution. any opinions are welcomed. Is too many of the same shapes too much?
20140609_064517_zpshjkyhjfa.jpg

I started looking for a wider fork to fit the 2.125 tire. the one in this photo is from a parts pile and too narrow for the tire. My wife has this killer stainless steel sauce cup that I commandeered as a velocity stack for the carb.
20140609_064545_zpseohtjomd.jpg

My son likes the look of the bike in Fab mode and suggests I don't paint it but leave it in rough welded patina. Not sure just yet but will finish all of the welding and see how it looks. It is farther along than I though it would be in a month so having it running and riding by the 4th of July is the goal.
Taking a family vacation when the kids are done with school on Wed. so signing off for now but will monitor the BBO from the road.
Kevin

Back from Vacation and had a day or two to play with the bike. got all of the welding finished and am working on mounting the motor and drive components.
20140620_092728_zpsxj6snnu8.jpg

Here is the current mock up with the larger rear tire. my ebay fork showed up while I was gone and fits the bill perfectly. played around with a torch on the tank and made some heat patterns to see how it looks. replaced a broken spoke on the back wheel and trued it to be straight. Fabbed the chain tensioner from and old derailleur.
20140620_092715_zpsl5l0uq2e.jpg

Next step is to clean straighten the front wheel and mount the new tire. make a final decision on the handle bar position and get the engine controls mounted. took a pretty healthy chunk of my thumb off with a hack saw so I may step back and enjoy the weekend.

Latest posts

Back