Low Tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That tank is friggin cool and the forks look tight as well. What kind o paint or finish are you going for?

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. As for the finish my original plan was to paint the frame and tins a copper color with cream accents. Clear it, flat sand it and make it shine. Given the amount of work I have left on the bike I don't believe I will have the time to paint before Aug 3. That said I started the rust patina yesterday and am pleased with the look. I like this because I can continue to work and weld on the bike and it just looks more ratty. I bought an old light that will get welded on the front. There is also a swap meet in early July so you never know what I might find to add. Pedals are on my list since the white plastic ones from the toddler bike are a little weak. Here is a pic on the low tracker as of right now.
20140624_055353_zpsqugvxcth.jpg
20140624_055343_zpsumjdhi1n.jpg

I have been adding accessories to the bike since I bought a cool vintage flashlight on eBay. The color is perfect for the current look of the low tracker. Added the battery box under the tank, headlight and tail light. Replaced the clutch handle and cable to a vintage look. I will do the same for the throttle. Clear coated the rusted tank and it really looks good. My next project is to make the exhaust. I have some good ideas and should be done soon. Here is the current look of the bike.
20140627_181809_zps6zdtg9mv.jpg

Is that a (solid) blade fork? Nice job on the bending.

Thanks guys. I will have to say that this project has never been a hassle. I enjoy every minute i am in the shop. It is nice to be in a phase that the work that gets done has a visual impact on the bike. The bend on the fork was from notching and welding. I bolted the end together to keep it straight. I will be looking for another one at the swap meet to use for reinforcements on this bent one. Have a great weekend to all. Kevin

I have raided the kitchen cabinets again for material for the air cleaner. here is the outer screen that will hold the foam in place. it was cut from a colander.
20140630_082353_zpsy4uguqnb.jpg

Also mounted the headlight.
20140630_082417_zpsjj9z6xmf.jpg

and started on the exhaust. when it is done I will attempt to fill the tank and run it down the road. I am on vacation next week and staying around so I should get allot done.
20140630_082309_zpss3czmqbt.jpg

Thanks Bike Bum, my wife asks me why I just look at it some times. This is when you absorb the "flow" of things. I put the bike on my deck during dinner the other night just to look at it. I'm still not satisfied with the seat choices I have in the garage and questioning if the square battery box really fits the flow. I will take it to a car show on Wed night to gauge reactions. There are a lot of creative people in my community and should be a good test. I bought this bait can and when it shows up I will see if it looks better than the square box. any and all opinions are welcome.

Great work on the fauxtina! I like the lantern box, but that kidney shaped box is way cool and should look great there.

EDIT: You should try using that kidney box mounted below the dowtube in front of the engine

Last edited:
I got the exhaust pipes cut and tacked in place. I used the radius from handlebar tube to get it where I wanted it. still need to make the bracket to hold the end. I have a ton of welding and grinding to do. I will leave the chrome on places and rust some others to see how it looks. Maybe sand blast the chrome off and paint it flat black and rust some areas. I will get that done and Starting it is the next step.
20140701_093346_zpsoqkarvzj.jpg
20140701_093333_zpsgzd5zb52.jpg

Nice work routing that exhaust through the frame!

I like the hand fabbed exhaust. So, does your wife chase you outta the kitchen when you are looking for something considering the fate of the colander? I like how that looks and the tackle box looks like a very cool addition. Hope it fits how you are envisioning.

I got the Low Tracker running and driving today. The front fork has a lot of side to side flex. W The exhaust is louder than i hoped and i will experiment with limiting the flow at the tail pipe to see if that changes the pitch. Not as uncomfortable as it looks and fun bike to ride. Now the fine tuning starts with the chain tensioner. My light bracket needs some reinforcing and the battery needs to get wired in.

Latest posts

Back