BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motopsyco said:
Yea that'll work! I just need to get it built in the next 2 weeks and just leave it out in the yard till July 30th. Then clear coat & call it done!

Someone just said bleach, how about an abrasive powder cleaner with bleach in it?

boogieman said:
august is still a long way. do you accepts entries from overseas like the philippines?

Oh ya... Just build and show us progress... its all good brother...

motopsyco said:
Since this is for low buck rattle can paintjobs only I promise to leave both of my paint guns on the shelf quote]
OK OK me too!Their are some good rattle can paints---just gotta look for them,and I only plan on painting the added parts and rat the frame this year

I think there might be a miss understanding about the rules.

It says paint must be applied by builder! Spray guns are ok as long as your the one using it!

Please correct me If I'm wrong but that was my understanding of it!

Double Nickle said:

It says paint must be applied by builder! Spray guns are ok as long as your the one using it!

This is how I always understood it. Use the paint (an other) skills that you personally have.

yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:

This is how I always understood it. Use the paint (an other) skills that you personally have.

Not exactly. This seems to be a vague area as some of the others. (what if somebody has acces to powdercoat his bike..?)
The only reason for these rules is:
...to give everybody a fair chance to participate on the same level as much as possible.
That's why the emphasis in the build-offs is on 'low-cost' 'D.I.Y.' 'factory mass-produced frames', etc.

But, personaly I don't see the problem with anyone using a spraygun. I considder it just a tool. Remember, nowadays almost anyone could get a professional looking paintjob out of a spraycan. Quality lies for 90% in preparation and aftercare. You need to do that when using a spraycan, just as much as when using a spraygun I guess.

herr_rudolf said:
Not exactly. This seems to be a vague area as some of the others. (what if somebody has acces to powdercoat his bike..?)

If someone showed me a photo of their cheap powdercoat gun and shop oven, then I wouldn't mind them doing their own stuff.

I have a welder and I plan to start welding some parts up soon, I wouldn't want anyone to be upset about that, and they won't, because I'm a crappy welder! haha

Professional tools do not a professional make.

herr_rudolf said:
The only reason for these rules is:
...to give everybody a fair chance to participate on the same level as much as possible.
That's why the emphasis in the build-offs is on 'low-cost' 'D.I.Y.' 'factory mass-produced frames', etc.

Just talking about the rules. ^ This is just how I interpret them. ^
I don't have a problem with anybody using anything. If it were up to me I'd say 'go powdercoat if you want to!' or 'Use all the professional tools you can lay your hand on.'. But you gotta keep asking yourself: 'Is what I do fair to the other participants of this buid-off..?'

Hello,

Just got back on after a week and wow.

Lot's of talk about DIY. I looked again at the rules and tried to not think too much but I want to be fair.

I've got this bike frame and had to modify it to make ridable:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39726&p=389847&hilit=Hot+rod+%27liner#p389847

My friend did some machine repair work to the fork tube and BB otherwise the bike wasn't wasn't gonna work. Bought another, just in case. I had that BB changed too though. Bogmonster set me up, thanks man.

I'm not sure if that's considered DIY enough for the competition.
Not sure which is okay or too late or ...
It's more to me about making something I had in mind...
Tell me what you think and I can just move it to Bike Builds if needed.

MplsCoaster said:
Tell me what you think and I can just move it to Bike Builds if needed.

You talking about the Spaceliner in the first photo of your build thread? It looks stock to me, if you needed a repair, I think that's understandable. The problem would come if you took it back to your repair guy and paid him to modify/build the bike for you.

@ MplsCoaster

Don't worry about that too much. And please don't take the rules toooooooo seriously. The rules exists so everybody starts off and works on the same level. 'fairness'. It sounds like you've just let somebody repair your frame so you have a base to work from like everybody else has. Sort of. In general.
And ofcourse imho. If that means something.
:wink:

Have fun!
That's the most important thing.

EDIT: What yoothgeye said! :D

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the clarifications and support. I agree to have some fun.

See, I fell in love with a lightweight Sugino crank/chain ring set for $15 in my LBS' used part bin. I found out I can't put a tapered square BB (with an adapter) in a Spaceliner frame. I'll post some of my trials. It kinda interesting how they put the tubes all the way through the BB tube. That was the mod on both the frames: reaming out the excess tube length from the inside. I swapped some CX tires for some help. My friend and me kinda compete so I'd never let him build it. He's put some awesome custom road bike frames together but I'm still a bit ahead on the RBB area.

So I'll leave it in the BuildOff forum until I hear some more but will probably end up moving it. Maybe somebody can help me with that method (I'm new). If I do move it, I hope some people will still stop by for some input.

See ya in the forums

MplsCoaster

MplsCoaster said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the clarifications and support. I agree to have some fun.

See, I fell in love with a lightweight Sugino crank/chain ring set for $15 in my LBS' used part bin. I found out I can't put a tapered square BB (with an adapter) in a Spaceliner frame. I'll post some of my trials. It kinda interesting how they put the tubes all the way through the BB tube. That was the mod on both the frames: reaming out the excess tube length from the inside. I swapped some CX tires for some help. My friend and me kinda compete so I'd never let him build it. He's put some awesome custom road bike frames together but I'm still a bit ahead on the RBB area.

So I'll leave it in the BuildOff forum until I hear some more but will probably end up moving it. Maybe somebody can help me with that method (I'm new). If I do move it, I hope some people will still stop by for some input.

See ya in the forums

MplsCoaster

I don't see a problem with this either. A frame mod like cutting off a set of cantilever tubes and slamming the frame would be frowned upon. We all have to do some cutting or grinding to make these conglomerations go together.

OK, who's gonna' be Mr(or Ms) 100?

And who's stalling so they can lay claim to it?

Back