BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gold Street Customs said:
Stop the presses!!!! not only am I working on getting a new member to join , but also a new entrant in the buildoff I may have to help ......my wife :shock: :shock: in the build off but she will be joining as soon as I can get her to stop moving long enough to disassemble her bike and post an intro 8)

Awesome... make this happen. My wife doesn't care anything for taking apart/putting together/building a bike, but she will ride with me, which is cool. This would be neat, and I'd do anything possible to make sure she finishes ahead of you! haha

Well, all you bit-spittin' gate chargers got 'til August to come up with some winning details on your already nearly finished bikes, :p and I haven't even decided whether or not to enter yet. :? Neither the old road bikes nor the Apollo is "speakin" to me, the only project I really feel like messing with is de-tabbing, stripping, and putting a finish on my latest assembly.
GEDC0140.jpg
I will be doing more work than either of "Mr. Goodyear" 's incarnations, maybe I should enter it and name it "Loss of Character". :lol:

herr_rudolf said:
Well, we'd better finish...
otherwise people wil blame us for being too much on-line typing words instead of being in-garage building bikes...

I resemble that remark .... :?

herr_rudolf said:
yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:
I think there might be a miss understanding about the rules.

It says paint must be applied by builder! Spray guns are ok as long as your the one using it!

Please correct me If I'm wrong but that was my understanding of it!

This is how I always understood it. Use the paint (an other) skills that you personally have.

Not exactly. This seems to be a vague area as some of the others. (what if somebody has acces to powdercoat his bike..?)
The only reason for these rules is:
...to give everybody a fair chance to participate on the same level as much as possible.
That's why the emphasis in the build-offs is on 'low-cost' 'D.I.Y.' 'factory mass-produced frames', etc.

But, personaly I don't see the problem with anyone using a spraygun. I considder it just a tool. Remember, nowadays almost anyone could get a professional looking paintjob out of a spraycan. Quality lies for 90% in preparation and aftercare. You need to do that when using a spraycan, just as much as when using a spraygun I guess.

This is good news to a point. For my huffy I used a rock hard gloss enamel paint that may outlast the metal it is painted on top of. Not exactly the hot ticket for a "Rat" look, (but great for a kustom). Still since I already have the equipment it is usually cheaper to buy the paint in pints and quarts than to buy it in spray cans. The biggest upside is the larger selection of colors. The down side is the extended drying times. I'll probably mix the 2 styles (gun & can) to get that crinkly artistically imperfect look that I am after with this one
Thanks for the clarification.
Floyd

Gold Street Customs said:
Stop the presses!!!! not only am I working on getting a new member to join , but also a new entrant in the buildoff I may have to help ......my wife :shock: :shock: in the build off but she will be joining as soon as I can get her to stop moving long enough to disassemble her bike and post an intro 8)

Man I think I lucked out. My new girl friend is into bikes. She started building one for herself in my apartment, now she's got her own set of tools and a stand at her place. Maybe she'l have an entry next year!

i love rattle can when it lays down nice and shmooth and just works. sorry just typing out loud

motopsyco said:
This is good news to a point. For my huffy I used a rock hard gloss enamel paint that may outlast the metal it is painted on top of. Not exactly the hot ticket for a "Rat" look, (but great for a kustom). Still since I already have the equipment it is usually cheaper to buy the paint in pints and quarts than to buy it in spray cans. The biggest upside is the larger selection of colors. The down side is the extended drying times. I'll probably mix the 2 styles (gun & can) to get that crinkly artistically imperfect look that I am after with this one
Thanks for the clarification.
Floyd

That wasn't a clarification. :shock: :wink:
Just a humble opinion from one of the hundred, maybe thousand members.
This is my interpretation of the rules. And again:
...to give everybody a fair chance to participate on the same level as much as possible...

Concentrate on the words 'fair' and 'same level'.

i have always taken the rule with paint to be....it either has to be original or rattle can. powdercoat is out so is pro paint. only adaptation to the rule this year was that pinstriping can be done by others because it is more accessory than paint. again this is my personal opinion of the rule so dont take it with too much salt

Someone has asked if adding a motor to a bike is okay.

We do have the "BIKES WITH MOTORS" section so technically it is something we do on this forum.

Hmmmm... :?

Rat Rod said:

We do have the "BIKES WITH MOTORS" section so technically it is something we do on this forum.

Motor seems to me like an accessory, costs less than alot of guys spend on wheels, and in my opion looks "added on" to any bike more than integrated. If I was voting on a bike in this build off and it had a motor, I'd look beyond the motor at the rest of the bike.

yoothgeye said:
Rat Rod said:

Motor seems to me like an accessory, costs less than alot of guys spend on wheels, and in my opion looks "added on" to any bike more than integrated. If I was voting on a bike in this build off and it had a motor, I'd look beyond the motor at the rest of the bike.

yep +1

stocksucks said:
A motor should'nt add to the "score" on a bike or else every one would drop one in.
My 2 cents would be "no motors" build.
How would you have an unbiased judgement?

I don't know any of us who would give a motored bike extra points just based on the fact that it has a motor bolted onto it.

WELL TO ME PUTTING A MOTOR ON A BIKE EQUALS BRAKING THE BIKE, AND NOT A FAN OF THE MOTOR THING. AT THE END THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU HAVE FUN WITH WHAT TOU HAVE FOR EXAMPLE CHECKOUT THIS COUPLE ALL RICH AND SERIOUS

securedownload.jpg

NOW CHECKOUT THESE GUYS ALL POOR BUT HAPPY

securedownload2.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Build by hands, Powered by feet."
A motor takes the essence out of a ratrodbicycle.

Despite of how cool I think they are, for the annual build-off I say no to Bicycles with motors. Those are motorbikes. We once felt the need to seperate them on this forum and created a league of their own. Same should go for the annual build-off. If there's a lot of interest amongst the bicycle-with-motors-crowd, start off another Build-off for bicycles with motors. If not, there is always the 'anything goes' build-off. Especially created for the guys who feel restricted by the rules. Really 'anything goes' means ANYTHING GOES! Motors, powdercoat, pro-paintjobs, stretched frames, buritos, etc...

imho, ofcourse.

herr_rudolf said:

Despite of how cool I think they are, for the annual build-off I say no to Bicycles with motors. Those are motorbikes. We once felt the need to seperate them on this forum and created a league of their own. Same should go for the annual build-off. If there's a lot of interest amongst the bicycle-with-motors-crowd, start off another Build-off for bicycles with motors. If not, there is always the 'anything goes' build-off. Especially created for the guys who feel restricted by the rules. Really 'anything goes' means ANYTHING GOES! Motors, powdercoat, pro-paintjobs, stretched frames, buritos, etc...

imho, ofcourse.

OK, I'm following you, how about this though. Most of us are building our bikes not to win, but because we want to build something, using the build-off as motivation. So, if someone wants to enter a bike that will have a motor, then their bike should be entered once completed before installing the engine. The finished bike that will be voted on will be it pictured without it's motor.

yoothgeye said:
herr_rudolf said:

imho, ofcourse.

OK, I'm following you, how about this though. Most of us are building our bikes not to win, but because we want to build something, using the build-off as motivation. So, if someone wants to enter a bike that will have a motor, then their bike should be entered once completed before installing the engine. The finished bike that will be voted on will be it pictured without it's motor.

thats the answer!!! just enter it before you slap the motor garb on it, I mean theres no custom frames right?

yoothgeye said:
herr_rudolf said:

imho, ofcourse.

Yep. Just like when you want a pro paintjob: Build it without one and wait untill the build-off is over. After that you can do whatever you want with the bike. If you enter a competition, you gotta play by the rules. (written and unwritten) If you don't 'want' to win, don't compete. I build my bike without the illusion that I'm going to win, but I'm still aiming for that.

Skrufryder said:
well a bike with a motor is still a bike

Theoretically, that's right. But, does one WANT to be theoretically right?
...Or does one want to compete in a fair competition where everyone is building a bicycle on the same level..?

I feel like putting on my Ratrodbikes-shirt that reads: "Pedalpower Speedforum" on the bottom...
:mrgreen:

Back