BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rules of the build-off are simple.

And so are the unwritten rules... imho.
I think the annual build off must be done in the same spirit of this forum. Low buck, backyard, and DIY.
AND it must be done in the spirit of Hotrodding: Using something mass produced as your base that the non hotrodding average joe considders old 'junk' and make something cool and unique out of it.
Soul.

The bike must have some soul.

i agree it was a thought that had popped into my mind too. i try to keep my builds cheap well because i am poor lol. however just to toss a monkey in the wrench what IF someone entered say a blue bird? obviously it would be fine but that is a low production bike for sure. this is the discussion area for such thoughts and so i am curious to hear what others think too.

Bluebird.
I wouldn't mind seeing a bluebird entering the build-off. The spirit is resurecting something that has been regarded by others as 'junk', and improve it's performance and/or at least it's looks. To many non-bicycle people, a bluebird is still considered 'old junk'.

I considder a Basman also as 'mass-produced' by a company. I wouldn't mind those either. It's one of the best looking retroframes that has come out. It will be difficult to 'add some soul' to it and keeping it low-buck though... In the end my and most of hte others' votes will go to bikes that have soul.

Professional paintjobs.
You just have to make a choice: Join the build off and do the paint yourself in a way most of us could do also, or get a professional paintjob and just quit the game. If you wanna play the game, just stick to the rules. If you want both, you can always paint it yourself and just get that pro powdercoat paintjob after the build-off.
Using an already powdercoated frame is no biggie though. In a way all of our bikes started out with proffesional paintjobs. :wink: Maybe that will become a future loophole Steve can take care of :mrgreen:

As for pinstriping/lettering.
That is such a traditional aspect of hotrodding, and needs such specific skills that I'm all for pro's doing that sort of stuff. I plan to do it myself though. And I have two and a half month to become a pro...

I think after reading the rules 99% of us know what you can or can't do in this build-off.
And in the end:
Just build a cool bike, be proud of your work, and the most important: have fun!

karfer67 said:
less than a week and 7 pages come on steve thats about right. but greg does bring up a good point how many need to be produced before a frame is considered "production?" i am amazed no one has entered a basman or a firebike, or a roth. it is a grey area but one of those things that there should be some sort of ruling on. production to me is at least 10 frames that are identical and anyone can buy one. thats my 1/2 cent on that. :p
I think any frame that an opposing member can purchase and also use, should be allowed! In other words if I use the Roth, any other member can also buy and use the Roth as their build off entry, making it a production frame.

herr_rudolf said:
The rules of the build-off are simple.

And so are the unwritten rules... imho.
I think the annual build off must be done in the same spirit of this forum. Low buck, backyard, and DIY.
AND it must be done in the spirit of Hotrodding: Using something mass produced as your base that the non hotrodding average joe considders old 'junk' and make something cool and unique out of it.
Soul.

The bike must have some soul.

Well said Herr Rudolf :!:

I WAS JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ONE OF MY FRAMES COULD ENTER THE BUILD OFF.I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A WAY AROUND THE RULES,OR CAUSE TROUBLE.I WOULD NOT ENTER ONE MYSELF,BUT IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE WHAT KARFER,AND DOUBLE NICKEL WOULD DO WITH ONE. 8)

greg66 said:
I WAS JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ONE OF MY FRAMES COULD ENTER THE BUILD OFF.I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A WAY AROUND THE RULES,OR CAUSE TROUBLE.I WOULD NOT ENTER ONE MYSELF,BUT IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE WHAT KARFER,AND DOUBLE NICKEL WOULD DO WITH ONE. 8)
:wink:

Couldn't there be a few categories in the build off? 3 or 4 winners?

Excedrin makes a great pain reliever, called Migraine Relief, using aspirin, acetominophen, and caffeine. Works wonders!

Wildcat said:
Couldn't there be a few categories in the build off? 3 or 4 winners?

Excedrin makes a great pain reliever, called Migraine Relief, using aspirin, acetominophen, and caffeine. Works wonders!

Haha...

We don't need any complication in this contest, it's good and simple like it is.

To go your route (categories) then I think the best way to go about that is to have "official" build offs in different forums.

Rat Rod said:
Does anyone have an Advil? :?
Yes !!! yes I do
014-2.jpg

Ooops!!! need my glasses

Lol . great minds think alike, I was going to post a small anvil I have..... must be an omen :arrow:

:mrgreen:

Just in case you need to do some body work on a hotwheels car... or crack a walnut or two...... I have a tiny anvil... Says ACME on the side... was workin in the shop one day and it fell off the shelf above my head.... Now I have an anvil scar on my nugget... :shock:

Since this is for low buck rattle can paintjobs only I promise to leave both of my paint guns on the shelf :shock:
Since the bike that I'm starting with actually does not look too bad there will be a lot of artificial patina to the bike itself. Anybody got any good suggestions for getting that old chalky sun bleached look from new paint?

Ahhh... my handlebar stem is stuck and slowing me down :x I tried almost everything :roll:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Ahhh... my handlebar stem is stuck and slowing me down :x I tried almost everything :roll:

I had a stuck stem yesterday when I was building my son's balance bike, I loosened the bolt then hammered it down with my wrench, it usually works, but the wedge was wedged. I ended up hammering it down, and it seemed to go down, until I completely removed the bolt and it was "S" shaped. haha. I ended up taking the bolt and threading it into the wedge from the bottom of the stem and hammering it out the top, 1 tap and it came out. Go figure.

Back