Anuthern (Officially History)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anuthern

DynamicChoppers.jpg

deorman said:
I know others will disagree, but I'm just not feelin' it. :? It looks like the art body sled w/the blown Hi-tech motor, $6,000.oo brakes, $3,000.oo fork and billet jockey shift, that takes second place to the nickle-plated '52 semi-stock bobber at the bike show. :p

But he is making something that is actually ridable. This is the challenge that Unc has taken on. I support it one hundred percent.

bigblockthing said:
offset of the seat stays to flow a bit more nicely, consider actually using them to create your seatpan area

Unless I'm going to sell this frame to a midget with real long arms, the top of the seatstay is way too low for the seat. I'm hopeing once the seat holder/tube is mounted that it will fill up that space. This design is giving me fits. I look and just keep thinking maybe this was a mistake. Way too much work in those silly off sets.
I still have to build a couple dropouts, figure out the seat,mount the BB weld it all up and grind it smooth. I did make one change......Like a dry county...its Barless

barless002.jpg

Yeah I mounted it in the front bottom corner,but there isnt enough rake to do that mounted actually in the frame deal everybody does. It would make your feet hit the back of the tire. I'm stuck now . I will have to come up with a way to mount the seat about 4'' higher than the seat stays and not ruin the look of the frame. I will dream up some crazy stuff. :wink:

Nice lines. A nod to Schwinn's famous cantilever design(sorry I had to bring Schwinn into this).

How about mount a custom seat pan that hinges off the main frame with spring mounted to the top of the seatstays? Should mess with the flow of the frame like a post might.

Thats why I cut the bars off ...It looked too Schwinnish. I cant get that close to the main tube. I dosent give you room. About the only thing I have come up with Is to bend some 1 1/2 tubing and run it like the back tire and stick a seat in it. Hook to the bottom of the main tube and reinforce it at the seat stay.

Very much like the lines of this frame Uncle Stretch, would have possibly preferred it sliiiightly lower down myself but
it looks like it will be a very nice looking ride none the less...

Uncle Stretch said:
Anybody can see if a dummie like me can turn out fairly decient frames ,there is no reason that you can't build one too.

This is exactly right well said Uncle (I'm not agreeing that your a dummy dont get me wrong here LoL). I get people posting "i wish i could do that" in my threads alot and your absolutely correct they can, all they need to do is get off the assess and do it not wihine that they can't basic welding is easy to learn you don't even need classes these days we have YouTube and the rest of the net to pick up the basics the rest is practise and you would all be very surprised how easy welding is when you get the hang of it.. its not rocket science, the price of welders and tube benders these days is minimal, throw in 125mm angle grinder and you can build the frame of your dreams for under 100 bucks in materials. I think the "i can't do it" attitude is just plain laziness, obviously there are exception, some may not have the room to do so (apartment dwellers for example) but you able bodied people in houses have no excuse IMO I probably have the biggest physical disability (i'm a paraplegic) of anyone on this site and i manage to knock out custom frames, takes me a lil longer than Uncle here but i get it done. I guess what im trying to get across is stop thinking you can't and do something about it, its not difficult it takes a little dedication and time.

Look forward to watching the rest of the build come together best of luck..

KiM

Thanks Kim . I try to tell everybody that they can do what I do. I have built some fairly nice frames and I'm trying to hone my skills. There are alot of talented people here that are way better than me. I just keep it real. Anybody can build the frame of their dreams cheap. Once you try.... your mind is the limit. I'm having a little glitch on this one, just because I am looking for direction and don't want to mess up what I have done already. I'll find it. :wink:
Your bikes turned out well. Nice pics and explanitions too.

I'm still waiting to see you make some custom forks. Eat some spicy food, dream a little dream, and get to work. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
I'm having a little glitch on this one, just because I am looking for direction and don't want to mess up what I have done already. I'll find it. :wink:

Ahhh yes procrastination over the direction to take know it well..

Above poster mentions forks, have you seen the John Brain Springer plans? I made a set myself turned out very well they work
great too! Can find the link to plans if needed?

KiM

Yeah I have it in my favorites , but havent built one yet. Necessaryevil I'm having enough trouble with where to put my seat. I got a monarch on it now that looks pretty good...and its a real one too :lol: :lol: :lol:

I checked and the chain hit the bottom chain stay. I had to move the dropouts from the bottom to the top. Simple fix. It lowered the back a couple inches too. Also I figured out a seatpost. Still working on this one.

minorglitch001.jpg

I hope you don't mind me using your pic, but it made me think. What if you put the BB below the front triangle, and built a seat pan on the seatstays that raised up pretty high in the back? You have a better perspective of what will be comfortable, but to me it looks like it might work.

ggg.jpg

It would look really better, but there isnt enough leg room if you do it that way. Its a little tight now and by dropping the BB down 1 1/2'' you cant drop the seat 4''. I hate this one...period. Stupid design ...its given me more problems than any other bike I have ever built. I'm really close to cutting it up and throwing it in the scrap pile. Its too high . The two tubes should have been longer and it should have been a few inches off the ground. Oh well I have learned a valueable lesson on frame design. Crazy designs will cause problems. :cry:

Ok I figured out how this frame should really be. Thanks to everybody for their time and suggestions.....but this one is HISTORY :lol:

History001.jpg

Re: Anuthern (Offically History)

Unfortunate ending Uncle Stretch on the upside though you get to start a new frame :)

Are you going to do a similar design but slightly longer tubes and lowered somewhat or go in a totally different direction?
Bit late now, but another alternative might of been to increase the rake giving more crank clearance then placing the bottom bracket forward of the
downtube and the seat down like the above poster has shown, would of increased length dropped it lower and lowered seat height-->

Uncle_stretch_photochop.jpg

I really liked the look aside from the height and shortness and the way you did the seat mount, i will be doing
very similar triangular pipe config off my top tube pointing downwards to hold my shifter...Look forward
top the next masterpiece mate :)

KiM

Re: Anuthern (Offically History)

Nope I think I'm going to paint my house and fix my fence .Everybody is on their own for entertainment for a while. :wink:

Doh!!!

But it was lookin good. :mrgreen: Ah well, Im sure you learned some stuff on this one to make things easier on the next.

My only suggestion... instead of the offsets that took a bunch of work, bend a 180 for the chain and seat stays, then put that graceful curve into it.

Got that house painted yet... :lol:

Latest posts

Back