█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/7 Rolling on 3 wheels pg30

kingfish254 said:
I think your method of weld, test, cut, adjust, weld is probably as good as any other method.

I like to call it engineering thru design, that is what makes it fun. On the plus side, you are learning a ton of tricks in the process.

Bill

Jake Sensi said:
Yoothguy I for one am truly impressed. I too would love to learn how to weld but for now it's these wrenches and Ikea butterknife. HaHaHa. I'm Build James ***ch!!! Peace

All I did was save my money and buy a used name brand welder for $180, pointed it at some metal and closed my eyes. The only thing keeping you from welding is having a welder. I like to say that I can weld, but I'm not a welder. :mrgreen: If someone offers you the chance to hold a welding gun, take them up on it, I kick myself for letting my dad and brother-in-law do all my welding for me for so many years.

kingfish254 said:
I think your method of weld, test, cut, adjust, weld is probably as good as any other method.
You could spend a lot of time on a jig, but then find out that your idea was crap, and have to redo it all anyway.
Keep dooozin' what ya dooozin'!!!!
This one is gonna be a fun ride!

Thanks "The King" I can't wait to ride it, I admit I got a little excited just pushing it around in the road yesterday playing with alignment, for some reason riding a 3 wheel bike up on 2 wheels is really fun, but no harder than riding a bike. I can't wait to hang a left turn with my son up in the air in the sidecar... hope he doesn't cry.

bpellham said:
I like to call it engineering thru design, that is what makes it fun. On the plus side, you are learning a ton of tricks in the process.
Bill

Yeah, you learn "I will never do it that way again" or "man, that was easy, glad I didn't measure!"

yoothgeye said:
I can't wait to hang a left turn with my son up in the air in the sidecar... hope he doesn't cry.

Just tell him it's an amusement park ride!
Oh yeah, and install seat belts and a roll bar! :wink:

kingfish254 said:
Just tell him it's an amusement park ride!
Oh yeah, and install seat belts and a roll bar! :wink:

Seat belt will happen, I'd end up being the roll bar. :shock:

Very cool man. I'm jealous. I've been thinking about a sidecar for a while. My youngest son just turned two and I would love to ride side by side with him. I better do something about it soon because it just won't be the same if I wait until he's 18. Of course my oldest is 18 and he has a good enough sense of humor to cram himself in that sidecar and roll around the city parks with me. Heck, he might even throw on a leather helmet and goggles! :lol: Nice work.

Thanks guys. Maybe we should all pitch in and buy Jake a welder... but then things would get crazy REAL fast.

Was invited to "Project Graduation" late this afternoon. It's a school sponsored graduation party. It is heavily chaperoned, they have a DJ, basketball, volleyball, lots of inflatables, tons of food, door prizes, money giveaways, etc... all for the students from year long parent fundraising. It started at midnight, I got there about 10 till got put on a inflatable game and worked it for 2 hours... I'm a little sleepy now. This might cut into my build time tomorrow, but it sure was a fun atmosphere.

Yes side cars are lots of fun .My kids love this thing. :D Im sorry I didnt put a bunny in the side car.. Your side car / bike looks really strong :mrgreen:
9-22-10017.jpg

tanksalot said:
Yes side cars are lots of fun .My kids love this thing. :D Im sorry I didnt put a bunny in the side car.. Your side car / bike looks really strong

Thanks! I guess my goal is for it to be really tough, like tough enough to drop off curbs and lift it in the air on left handers without worry of how hard it comes down.

I got ZERO done on it today. The 2 year old actually slept till 10:19am, so we did too. Took the 5 year old to his tee ball game, then out for some lunch, got home and I mowed the grass and finally put the front storm door on the house... it was quite frustrating, so once complete we went to a friend's pool to relax, then came home and I cooked hamburgers on the grill.

I'm exhausted.

Oh yeah, but when out in the shop making custom pieces for my storm door (yes, the install went *that* badly) I pushed down on the sidecar and was pretty satisfied that it is really strong.

Peatbog said:
yoothgeye said:
... but when out in the shop making custom pieces for my storm door...

Oooooooo, that is something you should never have to say.

You are right sir, plus I had tool issues. My cordless drill batteries stopped charging a couple months ago, it's the charger, not the batteries, so I've been using an old corded drill with a funky chuck, well, the chuck well, it' chucked today and I chucked it out the front door... seriously, the drill is in my front yard right now by the road, I'm pretty sure my wife saw it but knew better than to say anything. And if you're thinking it's by the trash, nope, they pick that up in the back yard.

0511-0811-0415-3734_Cartoon_of_a_Red_Faced_Angry_Man_clipart_image.jpg

Okay; I'm all caught up on the thread....love the way the build's coming along.

I also love the balance you have with everything else.

......and the whole part about not being in it for the money.

Can't wait to see the finished product...

Oh; and everyone's giving me ideas... 8)

Jimmy the Gent said:
Okay; I'm all caught up on the thread....love the way the build's coming along.

I also love the balance you have with everything else.

......and the whole part about not being in it for the money.

Can't wait to see the finished product...

Oh; and everyone's giving me ideas... 8)

Thanks man, I just know I'm having a lot of fun, I'll have a lot more when I get my sheet metal.

yoothgeye said:
Thanks guys. Maybe we should all pitch in and buy Jake a welder... but then things would get crazy REAL fast.
Hey I just saw this! Don't do it! My Lady just made a rock/garden in the backyard. Now with the patio set and grill(on the way) my bike room is cut down. Can you say Deja Vu?!? Yesterday in the basement i saw a flea! Dang Dirty butt cat got out again!! Aaarrrgghhh!! :x Pins and Needles! Needles and Pins!!

Jake Sensi said:
yoothgeye said:
Hey I just saw this! Don't do it! My Lady just made a rock/garden in the backyard. Now with the patio set and grill(on the way) my bike room is cut down. Can you say Deja Vu?!? Yesterday in the basement i saw a flea! Dang Dirty butt cat got out again!! Aaarrrgghhh!! :x Pins and Needles! Needles and Pins!!

You can just tell your lady about all the cool stuff you could make for her backyard rock garden... where do you get rock seeds anyway?

HaHa!! The flowers are being fertilized by pet rocks! I must have rocks in my head ...

Peatbog said:
yoothgeye said:
.. where do you get rock seeds anyway?

Isn't that what pebbles are?

I've thought that, because if you get a tiny one in your shoe and leave it there are day it sure feels like it's growing.

Back