█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/7 Rolling on 3 wheels pg30

People want me to build them tall bikes all the time and offer me the parts and money, but from riding a tall bike I think it needs the respect of knowing what it took to built it in order to own and ride one. They aren't hard to make, but if you made it you'll be less likely to ditch it or drop it.

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/7 PAGE 29, HELP!!!

yoothgeye said:
dragnusa said:
where did you find a set of sawzall blades like that?

I went to Lowe's for the cut off wheels (my weapon of choice) but passed a Father's Day Dewalt display and that set of sawzall blades was $17, there are 10 blades in all, you can't buy them individually for that price.
dang and I was just over at a lowes today but had my mind on copper

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/7 PAGE 29, HELP!!!

dragnusa said:
yoothgeye said:
I went to Lowe's for the cut off wheels (my weapon of choice) but passed a Father's Day Dewalt display and that set of sawzall blades was $17, there are 10 blades in all, you can't buy them individually for that price.
dang and I was just over at a lowes today but had my mind on copper

The dog from The Fox and the Hound? That's odd... no wonder you missed the blades. :?

Lookin good!!!! I just went back a page or 2 and saw it put together,cool idea! 8) :mrgreen:

FatBoy said:
Lookin good!!!! I just went back a page or 2 and saw it put together,cool idea! 8) :mrgreen:

Thanks man. If I had more days like today I'd be getting somewhere.

That's lookin' good. 8) 8)
I also get asked to do stuff for the neighbors all the time.Sometimes I just do it without being asked.Won't take money,but will work for food :D Great way to build a good neighborood as well :wink:

Here's something I noticed today, I don't know how many years they made these Jesse James WCC bikes, it couldn't have been but so many years. Anyway, I already have seen that the fork tubes on both my bikes are different diameters and the triple tree mounts are VERY different. The one that I have that has lots of rust on the spoke nipples and forks and bars also has the cleanest fender underside I've ever seen, but the bike that had less rust on the frame and forks and all has tons of rust under. They are both from this area too.

SAM_0807.jpg

yoothgeye said:
Here's something I noticed today, I don't know how many years they made these Jesse James WCC bikes, it couldn't have been but so many years. Anyway, I already have seen that the fork tubes on both my bikes are different diameters and the triple tree mounts are VERY different. The one that I have that has lots of rust on the spoke nipples and forks and bars also has the cleanest fender underside I've ever seen, but the bike that had less rust on the frame and forks and all has tons of rust under. They are both from this area too.

SAM_0807.jpg

The one ive got was as bad as that fender from top to bottom,it had rust everywhere! But ive got a friend who bought one when they came out and has been outdoors its whole life and it looks good nice chrome on everything.....Maybe the later ones were made cheaper. 8) :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
Hey, quit looking at stuff and get ta weldin'.

Welder is put away for the night, I heard last Summer that my neighbors would get up late at night and think it was lightning outside then they would look out and see it was just me welding, they never said anything... to me. :oops:

FatBoy said:
The one ive got was as bad as that fender from top to bottom,it had rust everywhere! But ive got a friend who bought one when they came out and has been outdoors its whole life and it looks good nice chrome on everything.....Maybe the later ones were made cheaper. 8) :mrgreen:

I really wish there was better information about these things online since mine have the differences they do, the Pacific cycles serial numbers are pretty easy to figure out, I need to look at mine and compare.

bighit said:
Nice to see another car jack being used. :wink:

Haha, thanks. That is the stock jack from an '87 Suzuki Samurai. I had an '86 and I grabbed this one from my brother-in-law's '87, they mount under the hood beside the engine. I got the Samurai in '97, sold it probably 4-5 year ago, but have always kept the jack for just such a use, it has bent many things! Funny thing, with the lift on my Samurai I never used it to actually lift the Samurai, but I have placed it between the body and axle of vehicles to open up the suspension and other things.

A very useful tool.

Another thing I got done today was getting all the old paint off this fork, if you remember, this is the fork used in the springer, now that it is bare I had been thinking it will be flat black against the olive drab main fork tubes, but if I can find my gun blue I may go that route.

There will be contrast on this bike:

SAM_0808.jpg

█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/7 Rolling on 3 wheels pg30

Dang, your making serious progress! The sidecar is coming together nicely. I couldn't tackle something like that I don't think... Impressive!

Oh and welding that ladder rung for that guy and refusing payment was very stand up of you! Your building up that karma bank fast... you've helped folks out at least a few other times in this thread! The world needs more guys like you!

Critter1 said:
Dang, your making serious progress! The sidecar is coming together nicely. I couldn't tackle something like that I don't think... Impressive!

Thanks, and funny you mention this. Yesterday I was working and thinking "I shouldn't be able to do this, nobody ever taught me how to do this stuff." I just have it in my mind that I can do stuff and I go for it, if I fail at least I know then that I can't or that I have to try harder. It's a pretty big project and sometimes what I come out with amazes me, but it all starts with just going for it.

Critter1 said:
Oh and welding that ladder rung for that guy and refusing payment was very stand up of you! Your building up that karma bank fast... you've helped folks out at least a few other times in this thread! The world needs more guys like you!

I'm not a karma guy, more of a Golden Rule kind of guy: "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. - Matthew 7:12"

Same idea, different religion, also more universal as "What goes around comes around."

I had people do free welding for me before I could weld, so now I do it for others. I've had people that I've never met in "real life" send me free parts, and so now I do the same. Heck, I got into this hobby when a guy from a Suzuki 4x4 forum sent me a 1950 Columbia frame and nice wheelset for free.

Peatbog said:
yoothgeye said:
Critter1 said:
... but it all starts with just going for it.

Exactly! Ding, ding ding! We have a winner! Even the best welder in the world once didn't know how to weld. The best auto mechanic once didn't know what a piston was. The best...well, anyway, you get the idea.

Just do it!

Yep, I've never seen a sidecar bicycle and I was really scratching my head on wheel alignment yesterday, but it didn't stop me. I'd never touched or seen a tall bike in person before I made mine. Just don't have "can't" in your brain. I think this comes from being a husband/father, sometimes you just gotta step up.

Yooth, I don't mind saying, I had doubts when you first started this, but it is really looking great! I'm amazed when people start with bikes I overlook and make something I want.

Great job, Rg

raggedjim said:
Yooth, I don't mind saying, I had doubts when you first started this, but it is really looking great! I'm amazed when people start with bikes I overlook and make something I want.

Great job, Rg

You had doubts? haha, I still got 'em! :lol:

Peatbog said:
yoothgeye said:
Critter1 said:
... but it all starts with just going for it.

Exactly! Ding, ding ding! We have a winner! Even the best welder in the world once didn't know how to weld. The best auto mechanic once didn't know what a piston was. The best...well, anyway, you get the idea.

Just do it!
Oh I can weld. Its just all that head scratching would give me a headache!! :D

Critter1 said:
Oh I can weld. Its just all that head scratching would give me a headache!! :D

I weld first and ask questions later, that's why I had to cut a tube and then do an alignment yesterday and then add adjustable dropouts. Sometimes along the way I'll figure out a better way to do it in the future.

I thought about a jig I could've made to have the alignment set before I welded, but it would've taken me more time to make the jig than to just go for it and fix it after.

Yoothguy I for one am truly impressed. I too would love to learn how to weld but for now it's these wrenches and Ikea butterknife. HaHaHa. I'm Build James ***ch!!! Peace

I think your method of weld, test, cut, adjust, weld is probably as good as any other method.
You could spend a lot of time on a jig, but then find out that your idea was crap, and have to redo it all anyway.
Keep dooozin' what ya dooozin'!!!!
This one is gonna be a fun ride!

Latest posts

Back