█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/7 PAGE 29, HELP!!!

Alright, still haven't gone to the store, but I see where this is going, which I'm cool with.

So for now, I'll leave you with 2 build-off self portraits.

SAM_0791.jpg

SAM_0792.jpg

As you can see, I am comfortable enough in my own build, that I don't need to worry about boycotting your thread based on number of views, pages, or replies. :p :p :D 8)

Glad to see you are building again!!! It's been like you were in South East Asia or something!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Whoa!!! That's one scrary bunny with the visor!!!!

TA408.jpg

Alright, that bunny is freaking me out.

$47 later:

SAM_0793-1.jpg

I spend more on shop supplies than my bikes. Ready to cut and burn now.

I would go with the tire backwards and weld some fork legs to it. Then put a sheet of steel or a cut up fender over it. Just a thought.

dragnusa said:
where did you find a set of sawzall blades like that?

I went to Lowe's for the cut off wheels (my weapon of choice) but passed a Father's Day Dewalt display and that set of sawzall blades was $17, there are 10 blades in all, you can't buy them individually for that price.

O.K. Yoot. Thoughts (from pics.) 1. Forward facing 2. Yikes! (scary) 3. Envey (tool haul) nice 4. Hungry !! 5. Then what a Cool build you have going on there , nice work ! 8) Tom

I agree with kingfish.Facing forward with holes drilled in the steerer to look like a machine gun,and welded back on.2 cents worth.

Alright guys, details (like machine guns) will have to come later, working on the bones first.

Before I mounted the sidecar wheel I had to find the right fork. I thought I'd use a 20" bike fork and even though it's not tapered towards the top, it still wouldn't fit the 20x3" tire. The 26" just left too much gap, but the 24" works... well, it just works ok. I wish it wasn't tapered towards the top, but I'll deal with that.
SAM_0786.jpg

It needed to be widened slightly since I'm using a rear wheel on it, even after I used skinny nuts and washers to make it easier to fit. The old scissor jack to the rescue, Sara helped.
SAM_0788.jpg

It ROLLS!
SAM_0799.jpg

Going to have to work on the sidecar bucket to make sure I have room to pedal, probably should've made it a little wider, but I don't want this thing to be super wide:
SAM_0800.jpg

With just the top welds (hadn't turned it over and done the bottom yet, I rolled it on the the street and put my weight on it (still 200 lbs) and it's holding strong. I'm going to have to deal with some alignment issues on the sidecar wheel, maybe I'll fix it by welding rear dropouts on the side fork.

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/7 Rolling on 3 wheels pg30

That looks great! And plenty solid too. Rear drop outs on the sidecar fork sounds like a good idea.

yoothgeye said:
dragnusa said:
where did you find a set of sawzall blades like that?

I went to Lowe's for the cut off wheels (my weapon of choice) but passed a Father's Day Dewalt display and that set of sawzall blades was $17, there are 10 blades in all, you can't buy them individually for that price.

Those blade cases are pretty sweet too.

Cool, you have a roller!!!!!!
Nice stance too!!!!
go with the drops for sure.

MplsCoaster said:
That looks great! And plenty solid too. Rear drop outs on the sidecar fork sounds like a good idea.

I'll get right on thos drops.

kingfish254 said:
Cool, you have a roller!!!!!!
Nice stance too!!!!
go with the drops for sure.

Thanks.

Now to fix that bad alignment. The sidecar wheel was towed in pretty bad, so I cut a section out of the longer tube I welded in this morning, then cut a piece of an old handlebar and slid it over the tube. Using a ratchet strap I pulled the front of the fork down (or in) until it was where I wanted it, witch pressure still applied, I welded the sleeve in place.
SAM_0801.jpg

Then I added another bar for strength.
SAM_0802.jpg

Alright, back to it.

bpellham said:
Illegal use of a measuring devise .... 5 vote penalty! :mrgreen:

It was just there for looks, I cranked the strap down till it looked good and started welding. Never referred to the tape measure since I couldn't figure out where to measure to... I'm bad with circles. :oops:

that's it cut weld re-cut re-weld till its the way you want it trail an error has been the go to for thousands of years

Alright, time for drop outs.

I'd been saving these since we cut up the '87 GT Mach I to make Sand Rover:
SAM_0803.jpg

Cut off the fork drops and smoothed 'em out:
SAM_0804.jpg

Cleaned and modified the GT drop outs, all lined up:
SAM_0805.jpg

Wheel fits! Now I need to put the regular sized nuts back on the axle since I spaced the drops properly for a rear wheel.
SAM_0806.jpg

What's next? I think it's time to go outside and clean up. I have to fix dinner, clean the house, give the kids baths, and get to church by 7:30.

Today while I was working a guy stopped by and asked it I welded, I said yes and he brought a piece of a ladder stand (for hunting) out of his truck, it had a missing rung to it, I grabbed a piece of square tube right beside me and welded it in, he offered me money but I refused. Anyone else do stuff like this for free or am I just crazy? Maybe both. :shock:

Peatbog said:
Whoa, dude, that is really freaking sweet! It looks like something the Red Baron himself would ride around in You sure you don't want to paint it red? :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm still going green... whoa, scratch that, I'm not going green, I'm painting the bike green.

Peatbog said:
yoothgeye said:
Today while I was working a guy stopped by and asked it I welded, I said yes and he brought a piece of a ladder stand (for hunting) out of his truck, it had a missing rung to it, I grabbed a piece of square tube right beside me and welded it in, he offered me money but I refused. Anyone else do stuff like this for free or am I just crazy? Maybe both. :shock:

Best way I know of to spread the Gospel.

Yeah, kind of the way I approach it from a ministry point of view, and from a "business" point of view, if I start taking money, this won't be fun anymore.

Latest posts

Back