█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 5/17 Sidecar Beginnings pg19

I've actually been wanting to find some of these (cheap).

You really need the get-up from the kid waiting in line for Santa from "Christmas Story".

my 5 year old grandson will be wanting a kid tall bike now!! That's way cool too yooth!

mitchelangelo said:
my 5 year old grandson will be wanting a kid tall bike now!! That's way cool too yooth!

It's weird, everyone seems to want one. Probably my favorite cruisers are the tall bikes.

No need to be Build Off motivated when your doing cool stuff for/with your kids. That little tall bike is very cool!

OK, I decided that if I'm going to get anything done I'm going to have to work at night again... like last year.

I went out and the outside of the shop is in a state!
SAM_0769.jpg

(looks like a couple little girl's bikes were murdered!)

I needed a work space for the bike so I moved my trailer over in front of the shop door. There, that's better:
SAM_0770.jpg

I used steel wool to prep the Jesse James tank, since it's already painted instead of chrome ( :x ) I went ahead and shot it with the OD, here it is wet and shiny:
SAM_0771.jpg

Next I dug around and found my little chainwheel to see how it would look, I really like it. I also grabbed a set of black cups off of another bike, you can see them on the trailer under the bike:
SAM_0772.jpg

Meanwhile I was letting this fork sit with paint stripper on it as well as the springs. Not sure about the springs, the stripper didn't touch the paint on them, maybe they're powdercoated? The stripper wasn't cutting it on the fork so I brought out the soft wire brush and started cleaning the paint off, now this was after midnight and when the police officer drove by I decided to shut off the angle grinder for the night:
SAM_0774.jpg

Here's my crank, chainring, bearings, cups, pedals, etc...
SAM_0775.jpg

4.17 pounds:
SAM_0776.jpg

For all you weight wheenies, I popped the plastic reflectors off the pedals:
SAM_0777.jpg

Woo-hoo! we're really trimmin' the fat now! :lol:

Finally as I was cleaning I shot another coat of OD on the tank and here it is flattened out:
SAM_0778.jpg

Alright... I'm back in this thing. Who needs sleep anyway? :mrgreen:

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/4 Little Sprocket Little Paint

...I spoke too soon! Nice to see some progress. I laughed when I read, "looks like a couple little girl's bikes were murdered!" :lol: :lol:

Way to go man!!!
Progress!!!!
I see Sand Rover is your new tank drying table.
Love that bike!

Critter1 said:
No need to be Build Off motivated when your doing cool stuff for/with your kids. That little tall bike is very cool!

Thanks, it's hard walking out in the shop and just focusing on one, I really had to fight tonight so that I wouldn't work on one of the many other builds or tear downs I have going right now.

Critter1 said:
...I spoke too soon! Nice to see some progress. I laughed when I read, "looks like a couple little girl's bikes were murdered!" :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess they really were murdered, that pile is all that's left of them after building the tall bike. How is it that I ended up with 4 oddball 18" bikes at once? haha

Peatbog said:
Ah, progress. Things are looking up.

Hey, git some steel!

I'm working on it.

Need to get started on my tank art.

I know about getting sidetracked, I have a Schwinn Breeze I need to clean up and sell to the local coffee lady, and yesterday another girl brought over another BREEZE !!! to work on and get road ready (lots of steel wool and WD-40 on both needed) AAARRRGGHHH!!!

Gold Street Customs said:
I know about getting sidetracked, I have a Schwinn Breeze I need to clean up and sell to the local coffee lady, and yesterday another girl brought over another BREEZE !!! to work on and get road ready (lots of steel wool and WD-40 on both needed) AAARRRGGHHH!!!

Tell me about it, I have a 20" boys bike in the yard that needs a chain and I can give it away. My '56 J.C. Higgins needs the euro bottom bracket replaced (stripped spindle) and it will be almost ready to ride. I walked past my newest BMX project bike and it had a flat, but I had just got a donor set of tires and tubes, but I walked past it. My Schwinn frame that is getting the engine is sitting right beside my welder, ready to be assembled. I want to paint the new little tall bike. Etc... etc... etc...

Now I just got a call and need to go pick up 10 more bikes.

Great progress! How many teeth on the chainring?
Good you took off the reflectors for weight savings :lol:

MplsCoaster said:
Great progress! How many teeth on the chainring?
Good you took off the reflectors for weight savings :lol:

26 tooth.

I'll definitely notice that .03 pound of weight loss.

Why do I have the feeling I'm getting poked fun at?

.03 lb's, can't wait to take mine off! :D

Oh now...we would never make fun of a man's little chainwheel... :)

Great progress. I like rose iron cross pedals. Did they come on the bike? What size are they?

JoKeR63 said:
Why do I have the feeling I'm getting poked fun at?

.03 lb's, can't wait to take mine off! :D

I wasn't the one that said weight weenie... nevermind, yes I did.

Joker-n-Jack said:
Oh now...we would never make fun of a man's little chainwheel... :)

Or his ball bearings.

Ape Stanger said:
Great progress. I like rose iron cross pedals. Did they come on the bike? What size are they?

Those pedals did come on the WCC bike in 1/2" and black, they came on the OCC bike in 9/16" bare aluminum.

Picked up some free parts today... 11 bikes worth.

pile.jpg

Latest posts

Back