WHAT WOULD YOU PAY FOR...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd be willing to pay...

• $100

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • $200

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • $300

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • $400

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • $500

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • More than $500

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wondering what you would be willing to pay for a really cool limited production 26" steel cruiser bike frame.

For the sake of conversation, let's just say that you really like it and want one. :mrgreen:

I know, I'm a cheapskate! The only reason I voted $100 is there wasn't a $50 option! :D

I wish I had the dough to buy a ton of different bikes, but the fact of the matter is, I don't! I have waaaaaayyyyy too many interests to afford dropping $200+ on a frame, much less a $200+ complete bike!

I'll have to settle with my dumpster dives and discarded derelicts, but I'll still be having my share of fun!

brett4christ said:
I know, I'm a cheapskate! The only reason I voted $100 is there wasn't a $50 option! :D

I wish I had the dough to buy a ton of different bikes, but the fact of the matter is, I don't! I have waaaaaayyyyy too many interests to afford dropping $200+ on a frame, much less a $200+ complete bike!

I'll have to settle with my dumpster dives and discarded derelicts, but I'll still be having my share of fun!

Most of us here don't have a lot of extra income to drop on bike related fun...trust me, I know...one church income, three kids, a mortgage, etc.

You have to get creative with this stuff in order to get what you want. :mrgreen:

It's not about hoarding everything you come across, it's about buying and selling until you save up enough for what you really want. :wink:

Yes, Steve, i know I'm not the only one with this problem. I do, however, have a problem selling bikes. Not that I have anything that someone else would want, but when I build something, it's because I want to.....not because I think I can sell it.

Maybe I need to try that approach.....build to sell! Keep telling myself that........

Thanks for the site and all you do!

But I digress.

Now......"back to our regularly scheduled program......."

bare frame just 100. you could have different levels, different rake, single tube or double, you get the idea
then would prolly pay more. Add tabs to the frames to bolt or add extras would be a plus also

Yeah Brett, you need to get past the idea that somehow by selling old bikes you are committing a crime...ha ha. :lol:

The reality is, they're hunks of metal and one day they're all gonna burn.

My motto is....I ain't married to none of em. :wink:

And BTW...this wouldn't just be some plain jane cantilever frame that you could buy anywhere.

I'm thinking more exotic than that....and it would be hand built in the U.S.A....and probably numbered.

If it was something I really liked, I'd spend upwards of $300 for a frame set (but maybe not for a bare frame). But it would have to be something I really liked. I was close to buying the Felt cruiser alloy frame kit (which is $300), but was never really in love with it. If they do a frame kit based on the new frame, I'd think about rethinking it. That ought to frame what I'd be willing to spend...

My brains busy thinking of possible frame styles now :lol: something like a 30's Schwinn motorbike frame with twin center tubes coming from the dropouts and a tall steer tube keeps running through my head.... oh and something that will will take a wide rear without needing to be stretched would be nice too :lol: Good luck with this can of worms Steve :mrgreen:

Yeah...trying to cover all the bases would be impossible, but there are things that would definitely be considered when coming up with a single design.

Here are a couple of designs that I would like in a frame some day.

Looptail like a Colson or Uncle Stretch's.

DSCF0009-1.jpg

Twin bars like a Typhoon

29e6d6fd.jpg

What I have in mind wouldn't be overly expensive, but it could not be done for $100.

You can hardly get a frame and fork powder coated for that price. :lol:

With such a low number of 20 to 50 tops, I would pay $300 easily and up to $400 if it was something that really "popped" to me. Concidering people pay $2000+ for a high performance roadbike frameset (and 2k is keeping it a low number) or full suspension montain bike frameset that may or may not be made in the U.S.A..

As for what style of frame it would be, i'm sure ALL of our imaginations are going crazy right about now. Something reminisant of an old Colson or Shelby would be pretty cool, then again so would some homemade modern classic.

Back