TRADITIONAL Raleigh-Up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5977.jpeg

Plan is to turn this into nice rider.

Before tearing this down I put on new tires, new shifter cabling, and a some strategically place drops of oil. I wanted to ride it in its original condition. It’s heavy. It’s tired. It’s classy as sassy.

The brooks saddle didn’t survive 2 miles.

IMG_4896.jpeg

* delete fenders
* new wheels
* new saddle
* delete dynamo and lights
* bearings, grease
* peddles
* rack

I've rebuilt a number of English 3 speeds. With your list, you may be surprised at how little the ride improves. It's a wonder how you can pull one of these 50, 60 or 70 year old Raleighs out of a barn, air up the tires and they are rideable. Not something you can do with most other brands. The biggest change you can make is aluminum rims, tight spokes, and some nice new tires with minimal knobs.

No surprise on the saddle. There really isn't saving 50 year old neglected leather. I've had quite a few fail under me. I usually put them back on ebay for the restorers looking for good steel frames.

*That* is a thing. Age?

The license to late says 1962, the AW hub is stamped 60, and the dynamo hub is stamped 58.

IMG_5013.jpeg

Stripped it down last night. Here it is mocked up similar to the look I want.
IMG_5011.jpeg

Strange thing with the brakes. I could not figure out a way to separate the brake cables from the brakes. There are crimps on both sides ends. Was able to pop off the levers but not the brakes? I will likely upgrade to the brakes anyways.
IMG_5009.jpeg

Definitely love your selection! Can’t wait to follow your build!

-the brakes… unfortunately everything on this bike needs special tools or ‘replaced stem-to-stern’

Yes. I think it is time to order a set of whitworth wrenches.

I plan to keep the stem, handlebars, bottom bracket, and cranks for this reason.

Gonna be a classy city bike

there's a couple slick How To tricks here that maybe should be added to the Tips and Tricks thread.

Back