WHAT WOULD YOU PAY FOR...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd be willing to pay...

• $100

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • $200

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • $300

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • $400

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • $500

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • More than $500

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
Steve, I think that if you were able to deliver something that was truly cool in the $300 range, assuming it wasn't some sort of chopper or a diamond frame, then you could my name on the list right now. As was said above, just make sure it's adaptable enough to take either vintage or modern hardware builders have a lot of possibilities. If there are only a small number made, there's no reason that any two should be even similar after they're built up... 8)

What I will say is that whatever I come up with, it will have vintage styling cues taken from frames that I have liked over the years.

I would probably make it set up like a standard cruiser so that basic parts will fit like stems, seat posts, bottom brackets, etc.

There might be the possibility of offering a fork, but that may drive the price up too much.

Some thoughts on this:
-talking about new frames, they sell worksman INB frames for $170 plus shipping. Made in USA, not very "quality" construction or tubing
-They sell Chinese-made Husky frames for $140, but it was $80 even just 2 or 3 years ago. Similar quality.
-The cheeeepest chinese-made cantilever frames I've seen go for $80. Very low quality.

One or two hundred bucks for a new frame made in the States that's worth having? Ain't gonna happen, unless the folks doing it are truly doing it for the "love", and are willing to take a lo$$.

Ever price out straight guage 4130? It ain't cheap, and if you're only getting enough for a limited run, your price-per-unit will be comparatively high. Then, you've got to pay to ship the stuff. It's heavy...

I just bought a True Torch frame/fork/seatpost for $500. OBviously, i'd pay that much. To be honest, id pay a lot more for the right frame with the right features, but i won't pay anything if it's got the "wrong" details. And, some of the things others mentioned (split for belt-drive, wide rear spacing) might be good ideas for them, and even for the market at-large, but they'd be deal-breakers for me. Not bad ideas, just not right for this potential customer.

Steve, I think the mistake you're making is you're asking cheapskates (and I'm using that term with all due respect and love; I'm trying to increase my frugality, really) what they'dlike to pay for a nice frame. These are dumpster-diver folks. These are ppl who want to get the frame for free, then spend a lot of $$$ and time on that "free" frame. How many of us have a dozen bikes that we got the frameset or even a rough complete for free (or very cheep), but in reality have spent thousands in parts and our own labor on that "cheeeep/free" collection of bikes?

I have. My goal now is to have fewer bikes, but nicer ones. Better planned out, better parts,more what I'm looking for to keep, rather than questions of "can i make it work? Can i keep it cheeep?". And, if we're really talking about domestically produced, quality frames built by real riders for riders, I'd put the price at $600 for frame only, if it's not got any custom options (beyond a few color choices) but decent tubing (4130 or better). (Custom options would drive the price up over a grand, and cheap hi-ten tubing make the value of the whole project kinda questionable, imo)

hth,
-rob

Maybe I can clarify this a bit. :D

First off...I'm not going into the bike frame manufacturing business. What I'm talking about is releasing a small run of custom designed steel cruiser frames for people on RRB to buy and build up...think RRB Signature Series.

Secondly, I wouldn't be trying to satisfy the high end commuter/MTB crowd by offering a frame that they can mount all their fancy do-dads to...it would be a cruiser frame.

What my goal would be is to design and build a really sweet looking unique frame that captures that vintage style that we all appreciate here taking queues from some of the frames I have admired over the years...some of which are pretty rare and don't come up very often.

I would be working with Johnny at True Torch who has been building bike frames since the 70s when he started welding for Gary Turner as one of the founding builders for GT. He has essentially said that if I can dream it up, he can build it. :wink:

Steve,

sounds great. cheapest true torch is $330 plus shipping. (replica, no fork.) To meet or beat that price, you'd need to use cheaper steel, as your frame will likely have more tubes, more bends, and (consequently) more labor. All that equals more cost. I think $500 with 4130 chromo steel would be better.

I would be stoked to see a quality, modern cruiser frame, but personally I'm not feeling the extreme/radical designs of Basman et al. A lot of ppl do,so maybe you'd wanna consider that. I would, however, like to see a CB boss on the left chainstay, and a kickstand plate(flat one, doubles as a fender bridge). If only b/c most cruiser guys run CBs or drums, and a lot of guys run kickstands (and no one notices the plate if you don't run a kickstand.)

I was pretty impressed with the welds and finish work on my pro frame. Just tell Johnny you'll handle any decals that'll go on the frames. :mrgreen:

-rob

ps- how about some nice headbadges?

Johnny and I have had several phone conversations about this project. Chromo would be a waist for a cruiser frame and would only jack the cost way up...which I'd be trying to avoid.

This is also not a BMX cruiser project. I'll leave those up to Johnny to design and sell on his own.

There would definitely be a cool headbadge involved with these. :mrgreen:

KC so-cal said:
I could go for a basman style something with a little more distance between the stem and the seatpost that would be cool :wink:

The basman has features I definitely want in a frame - capacity to handle the fattest wheels out there and large enough from the git go for an adult to enjoy riding comfortable. I obviously chose more than $500 but in the world of bikes with the features I want $500 is merely a starting price. If you look over the frames on the Firebikes website even the ones that are not one of a kind that are produced in small lots every year like their Classic FBR and the Morgitition are their cheapest frames at $499.00. To Custom built to your specs - 1K. I love classic bicycles and I will never get rid of a few of my favorites but I could never enjoy one as a daily rider because of the physical limitations and the "Cool" factor - I can ride a classic fairly comfortably with the seat a foot and a half above the frame but there is nothing "Cool" about that look to me. I've talked to road bike guys that spend $1500 on a set of wheels - what's 500+ for a frame? I can't afford it either but if you want one bad enough you WILL figure out how. My mother always told me I had Champagne tastes with a Beer pocketbook - she was right on! Robert

Rat Rod said:
Hey, who wants to buy a T-shirt?

Short sleeve, long sleeve, or take top? Will the logo be placed high so that I can cut it off to make a belly shhirt without messing up the logo? What are my color choices and will they all cost the same? Can I get it in plain white so that I can tye die it? Will it be available in thermal for guys in cold climates? How about a dry fit for those of us who might exercise in it? I've seen some companies still offering the ringer style t-shirts, would you be able to offer a ringer in small numbers with different base colors? Are these made in the USA? ... ... ...

yoothgeye said:
Rat Rod said:

Short sleeve, long sleeve, or take top? Will the logo be placed high so that I can cut it off to make a belly shhirt without messing up the logo? What are my color choices and will they all cost the same? Can I get it in plain white so that I can tye die it? Will it be available in thermal for guys in cold climates? How about a dry fit for those of us who might exercise in it? I've seen some companies still offering the ringer style t-shirts, would you be able to offer a ringer in small numbers with different base colors? Are these made in the USA? ... ... ...

hmmmm..... Some how I ended up with longsleeve Rust Bucket Deluxe shirt. :wink:

I just want a visor.

yoothgeye said:
Rat Rod said:

Will the logo be placed high so that I can cut it off to make a belly shirt without messing up the logo? ... ... ...

All of my shirts end up shrinking and becaoming Belly shirts anyway! :(

It would be cool to have a "Build Off" t-shirt design.

kingfish254 said:
All of my shirts end up shrinkin gand becaoming Belly shirts anyway! :(

This might have less to do with the shirt shrinking and more to do with what's in your water bottle.

Latest posts

Back