The Lightning Flyer 12/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Lightning Flyer FIRST RIDE 9/18

looks good and well worth the wait:mrgreen:
ill also lay off about the pedals(since theyre there for a reason...and now that theyre blacked out :wink: )

necessaryevil said:
Is the bike green? I'm colorblind, I thought this primer was gray? :oops:

:lol: :lol: . what a perfect mistake! it looks so slick! the top pic i could see bein a gray tone but the bottom bike does look like a army greenish. it was well worth the wait on this one :D . good choice with the cream thick bricks!

Well, I'm glad people are diggin the color, but the bike will be maroon/creme when finished. It's just nice to have a month or two to ride it until winter comes.

Nice job on the tank and filler plate, it really adds to the boardtrack feel.
I am glad you decided to hold off on painting the sprocket, I like the groovy phsychadelic feel 8)

if its self-etching primer, then it is slighly green. :D

Re: The Lightning Flyer UPDATE 9/5

stretch said:
thats not a dog! you need something like this in there. :lol:

Here you go stretch. :mrgreen:
sokiedokes_bowser.jpg

I'm diggin' the way this bike came out. Looks great with the cream colored tires!

Rusty.

Re: The Lightning Flyer (FINAL CONCEPT)

Here are two quick sketches of how I want to finish it. Maroon just isn't going to work. When I here the word "lightning flyer" I think of dark skies, so I want to go blueish-black now. The seat pan, cranks, sprocket, pedals, stem, and bars will be powdercoated chrome. The frame, forks, tanks, rims, and hubs will be blueish-black. Creme or tan seat cover to match the grips and tires. And I can't decide how to finish the tank inserts???

Creme/tan to match the tires and seat?

tan.jpg

Or polished aluminum?

polished.jpg

I'm diggin' the creme/tan. Looks more retro. And that font is perfect! (IMO) :mrgreen:

Rusty.

i do believe thats led zepplin font. :D (i dont know if im spelling it right, i never can :lol: )

Yeah, it does look kinda similar to the Zeppelin font. I just stuck it on there really quick for reference.
Shot a quick little hill bombing video today on the bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6uuHfxpS2E
Our club is going to make a cheesy music video soon and I'm just trying to learn editing and audio on I-movie.

Now that the build-off is over, it's time to get back on track with this thing. And now I can't commit to a paint color :roll: :lol: I know that I want the cranks, sprocket, pedals, seat pan and springs, bars, stem, and bearing cups powder coated nickel. The frame, fork, tanks, and rims I just cannot pull the trigger on. I've gotten this far and now I'm at a standstill. I like my dark blue/creme idea, but am I missing something better? Any suggestions?

IMG_0357.jpg

BROWN- looks classy, hides dirt, will match the tires after a few rides too, will need some cream colored stripes/scallops/lettering though IMO

BTW - absolutley nothing wrong with dark blue / cream, that would be my first choice too :mrgreen:

I tried photoshopping it in brown, but I think I'd have to rename the bike "The Brown Streak" if I went that route. :lol: I was also thinking a very dark green, but to tell you the truth I'm clueless.

necessaryevil said:
I tried photoshopping it in brown, but I think I'd have to rename the bike "The Brown Streak" if I went that route. :lol:.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Better not go there.

I think Brown and Cream would look great or Brown and Tan. Won't the powder coating on the cups just wear down?

cman said:
necessaryevil said:
I tried photoshopping it in brown, but I think I'd have to rename the bike "The Brown Streak" if I went that route. :lol:.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Better not go there.

I think Brown and Cream would look great or Brown and Tan. Won't the powder coating on the cups just wear down?

add a stripe on the seat too ? Brown Streak for sure then :lol:

they can mask off the inside of the cups for powder coating if need be, i really dont think it would hurt them due to all the strange gunk you usually see in there already :mrgreen:

sorta like this is what i was thinking, i dont know but the rear wheel tank just keeps me thinking of these old motor bikes. (they came in blue too though)

31-Henderson.JPG

Great looking bike!
Just my own 2 cents, but in keeping with your blue idea, how about "french blue"? It's a blue with some gray in it that would look sort of like the sky during a thunder storm. I think it would look awesome against the cream on the bike now, especially with cream inserts on the tank, etc.
Here's the best example I could find, if you're not familiar: http://www.bestcustomshirt.com/French-B ... Shirts.asp

Latest posts

Back