starting my build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing new so far welded my plugs in my springer legs so I can finish them on the lathe and drill and tap them for the rod ends. Hopefully tomorrow I can get materials for the larger fork legs and frame. Been waiting to get them because I have to get materials for other stuff too....I'm like a plumber with leaky pipes, always too busy welding on other stuff

Today scored on craigslist....bought a bicycle that took me back to my younger days...even though I'm only 25. Bought a hyper bmx race bike no wheels though. Going to use the 3 piece crank and chainwheel, disc brake system which includes a mount it will make fabing a tab almost too easy, stem spacers grips and maybe other stuff but not sure yet. Right now just trying to gather parts and materials so I can be at a good pace. it's hard to get get started then stop because of lack of materials. So once I can get everything together I'll post a pic and then get cracking

Edit by the way for the bike for 10 bucks....it's worth it just for the brakes to me. Also was thinking of disc brakes on the front only. Mind a freaks my out from,my mountain bike days, but I figure the way the geometry is set up I can't really flip so seems like an ok idea. I just don't want to have to deal with that back wheel

So slight update. Notched and gave the rear triangle a little more room. Tweaked it about 30 degrees tig welded it back and ground it down looks like I never cut into it haha. Also cut off what I guess what the chain guard mount and cleaned up where it will join the frame I'm building. Oh and a progress shot....almost half a bike. Got a long way to go

Ugh so I pulled the trigger on some handle bars, brake line, new axel nuts a barrel adjuster and the crimp ends for the brake cable just because I wanted blue. I hate buying all of those thing because I could make bars but for 15 bucks I'll just buy premade already painted black ones. The rest of the parts I wish I could scavenge but I'm out of luck....next task putting these on the mill to ream them out so I can reuse them to mount the 1in bars I bought...

Hey also in case anyone was wondering I know the 26in is big however I plan on getting a Harley tire to mount to the schwinn rear rim so I hope it balances out. If not I could go back to the 24in front but I'd like to take advantage of the disc ready setup. By the way when they mount the Harley tire to that rim uh what tube do people use....

My experience with the Harley tires, they measure out around the 25" mark. Pretty sure people use either the 20x4 Stingray tube or a Motorcycle tube for it, mine have always ended up tubeless, so I don't know for sure.

Luke.

Haha thanks....so I prefer the 3 piece crank goes back to my bmx days plus it looks awesome but it came out of an alumunium frame bike...so I got frustrated sourcing parts and decided to just turn my own steel bb to use it

So I wasn't digging the schwinn rear triangle straight into the round frame tube so I'm thinking about boxing it in. Gives a better flow and strategy. Rough mock up but just to give an idea.

If so the bottom and top sections maybe even work the top part into my Seat mount. Trying to get funds for one of ifitsfreeitsforme leather springer seats and matching grips, I feel it would reall set it off for the bobber look....anyone wanna buy any bike parts haha I have spares even a couple brooks saddles lol

My 71 schwinn is so sad haha the new bike gets all the attention. You guys might like it it's a supersport with original black brooks saddle. Even have the original receipt when it was purchased from the original owner somewhere around here

My experience with the Harley tires, they measure out around the 25" mark. Pretty sure people use either the 20x4 Stingray tube or a Motorcycle tube for it, mine have always ended up tubeless, so I don't know for sure.

Luke.
How did you do tubeless

So I need some help.....can't decide the best way to do the tripple tree set up. If I had a 1 1/8 steertube to 1in bar clamp stem it would make it easier. That way my threadless headset would have something to squeeze down on. Starting to think the best idea is to just mill a top and bottom clamp

Back