*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dracothered said:
I like your design, but I have one question.... What is to stop the front wheel mount from moving upwards seeing as it looks to be only bolted at the one end of the black metal extension? Please show a closer picture of that are.
There are mounting points or holes at the base of the steer tube as well as the bottom holes of the black metal. I just wanted to see what the fenders look like with the frame and did not want to waste too much time bolting the fenders to those mounting points. Once the I have the wheels and tires I plan on using and placement of the fenders where I want it to be, I will post photos of them mounted to the frame and fork.

488001_538168269542866_853813735_n.jpg

9030269284_22e79e7c67_z.jpg

Since I've decided to go with fenders for this build, there has been a change of plan for wheels & tires. I will go with a 24x3 setup for tires front and back - either the white wall thick bricks, fatti-o's, or street hogs. I'm not confident that I'll have the clearance to use the wide 144-spoke hoops but positive I can use the smaller width 144-spoke wheels. Another idea I've been throwing around is the 24" 57mm Jemima's with black wheel covers. What do you guys think?

laidback,
This is far too many cool options to pick from! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

laidbackcool said:
a 24x3 setup for tires front and back - either the white wall thick bricks, fatti-o's, or street hogs. Another idea I've been throwing around is the 24" 57mm Jemima's with black wheel covers. What do you guys think?

If I may, with those wicked cool rockers you've added to drop the bike, your ground clearance might become an issue.

Any plans for running shorter cranks? Remind me again about your plans/ideas for the rear hub, single speed, multi-IGH? With a single and shorter cranks, you may have to go with a small chainring up front (short crank=less torque). With a 3, 5, or 7 speed rear, you can get away with a larger chainring (as long as it isn't bigger than the cranks and IT hits the ground! :mrgreen: )

Here's a link to some 3" cranks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrider-BM...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd21a7060

some 4"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Piece-4...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0feabbf5

some 4.5"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-4-5-...941051095?pt=US_Cranksets&hash=item19d49a18d7

They're all new, but with a light sanding and some salt water sprayed on them...... :roll:

LOVIN' this bike so far, keep it goin' brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
laidback,
This is far too many cool options to pick from! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

laidbackcool said:
a 24x3 setup for tires front and back - either the white wall thick bricks, fatti-o's, or street hogs. Another idea I've been throwing around is the 24" 57mm Jemima's with black wheel covers. What do you guys think?

If I may, with those wicked cool rockers you've added to drop the bike, your ground clearance might become an issue.

Any plans for running shorter cranks? Remind me again about your plans/ideas for the rear hub, single speed, multi-IGH? With a single and shorter cranks, you may have to go with a small chainring up front (short crank=less torque). With a 3, 5, or 7 speed rear, you can get away with a larger chainring (as long as it isn't bigger than the cranks and IT hits the ground! :mrgreen: )

Here's a link to some 3" cranks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrider-BM...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd21a7060

some 4"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Piece-4...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0feabbf5

some 4.5"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-4-5-...941051095?pt=US_Cranksets&hash=item19d49a18d7

They're all new, but with a light sanding and some salt water sprayed on them...... :roll:

LOVIN' this bike so far, keep it goin' brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T
Good to hear from you again Dr. T and thanks for the thumbs up! You definitely hit the nail on the head and read into what I planned on using for the crank arms. Shorter ones is definitely the route I'm going! Initially, I planned on using a 22T offset rear spocket with a Nexus 3-speed for the wider 144 spoke wheel. As of now, I'm debating on whether to go with the smaller 144-spoke wheel or change paths and go with the wheel covers and Jemima's. Either way, I'll use the standard 22T rear sprocket but will likely use the 3-speed hub.

I revisited the stance of the bike, and I'm probably better off running a 26" tire instead of a 24" strictly for ground clearance purposes. The fenders definitely add to the overall image I'm looking for but reduces the kind of clearance I need to run a 3" wide wheel. I really like the look of the smaller width 140-spoke wheels, which are 32 mm wide. From what I've heard, the 2.35 Solanas are just as wide if not slightly wider than the Fat Franks (given the width of the rim being used), so that's a combination that can work really well together. I'm also open to running the 57mm Jemima's with a 2.125 Solana in the front and 2.35 Solana in the rear with black wheel covers. As you can tell, I've been very conflicted with settling on combination since the beginning stages of this build.

Option #1
8738005911_d0472a9d06_zps0af81ef7.jpg

Option #2 (staggered setup with wheel covers)
8739111574_9366d13946.jpg
bon_solana_11_m.jpg

946unten_p2.jpg

After careful deliberation, I've decided to go with....

Option #1
683sw_p1.jpg
bon_solana_11_m.jpg

With that, I'll likely go with the 26x2.35 Solanas both front and rear. However, I re-visited classic-cycle.de and noticed they have street hog tires in 2.35 as well as 2.40. I'm probably looking at 50mm tire when inflated on both wheels. Not too big but fat enough! That combo has definitely piqued my interest!

:D FINALLY :D !!!! I went ahead and placed an order for tires and got these:

Street Hog 26x2.35 - Front
480_p1.jpg

Street Hog II 26x2.40 - Rear
471_2.jpg

Hopefully, it won't be too long of a waiting game to get them. Still undecided about the wheelset but hope to have that issue resolved very, very soon!

I remember that it took me forever last year to decide on wheels and tires.
Those tires look sweet!

the12volt said:
Nice! Where did you purchase them?

Edit: http://www.classic-cycle.de?

Cheers,
Volt
BINGO...that's correct!

kingfish254 said:
I remember that it took me forever last year to decide on wheels and tires.
Those tires look sweet!
:lol: Thanks buddy! I feel like I had a breakthrough! Even if I don't make an effort to go with a wider wheelset, at least there's a set of fat tires in play to maximize the clearance in the dropouts. Hopefully, they'll assist with any ground clearance issues that are posed by frames that sit ultra low to the pavement. I also plan on using a shorter crank & smaller front sprocket.

laidbackcool said:
I found an LBS in South Carolina that sells these bad boys for over half the price of the ones located in Germany (which I'm sure overseas shipping has a lot to do with the cost).

$(KGrHqF,!rUF!dFGoEG2BQZc8F,TmQ~~60_57.JPG
:shock:

jats said:
laidbackcool said:
I found an LBS in South Carolina that sells these bad boys for over half the price of the ones located in Germany (which I'm sure overseas shipping has a lot to do with the cost).

$(KGrHqF,!rUF!dFGoEG2BQZc8F,TmQ~~60_57.JPG
:shock:
This is likely the route I'll go if I decide to use 140-spokes, but lately I've been unable to shake this idea I have in my head for the Jemima's. It would be a marriage of the black wheel covers...

946unten_p2.jpg

with Nash dog dish hubcaps...

$T2eC16NHJGQFFh)!MIUWBRuhKq58v!~~60_57.JPG

or with Ford baby moon hubcaps...

$(KGrHqV,!p8FC31!E)+3BRrQO(2m,g~~60_57.JPG

Suggestions are welcome!

I think if you use wheel covers with fat rims you will lose the visual fatness of the rim. You'll still be able to see fat tires, but you won't be able to tell that the rims are anything special at all. If you are going to use wheel covers, you might as well go with regular rims. My 2cents.

Or better yet make a plate that will go in the center of the rims (Before lacing) then put the hub caps inside the spokes on each side. You'd still see the fatness of the rims but get that killer look.

You could even get custom with it and use clear or color tinted transparent plexiglass for the plate so you get a see through effect.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of wheel discs and baby moon (or other) caps. I would love to use that idea on my own build but I don't know if you can get those full wheel covers here in New Zealand... probably can, but I haven't seen them. You wouldn't need flash wheels at all if they are covered, and my wheels are far from flash :lol:

I am really loving this bike you are building and I love the pickup you are emulating... excellent work :D

Glen said:
I absolutely LOVE the idea of wheel discs and baby moon (or other) caps. I would love to use that idea on my own build but I don't know if you can get those full wheel covers here in New Zealand... probably can, but I haven't seen them. You wouldn't need flash wheels at all if they are covered, and my wheels are far from flash :lol:

I am really loving this bike you are building and I love the pickup you are emulating... excellent work :D

:idea: If you can't find wheel covers, old metal trash can lids can be cut to fit and already have the shape. I saw it done somewhere on here before but can't find it.

Latest posts

Back