*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seat placement is perfect now!

kingfish254 said:
Seat placement is perfect now!
outskirtscustoms said:
Looking killer, seat is just right, now get to building.
Thanks guys :D. I'm very relieved to have the seat placement settled. Now, I can finally shift my focus toward wheels, tires, and sprockets.

My work week concluded yesterday evening, so now I can center my attention back to the bike. I just finished cutting down the spring stays on the fork hoop, and I'm getting ready to head to Home Depot to buy the tap and die set for re-threading. Wish me the best of luck!

laidbackcool said:
All of the clutter is gone, which creates clearance for the springs to rest comfortably on the fork hoop. It's impossible to tell in the photo, but the spring stay in the background has threading that ripped due to a rust frozen acorn nut. Either I will have the spring stays cut and re-threaded by an LBS or buy a new fork hoop.
laidbackcool said:
deorman said:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Irwin-Fractional-Tap-and-Hexagon-Die-Set-12-Piece-24605SM/100352484?keyword=fractional+tap+and+die+set
The definition of delivering in the clutch. You my friend are a life saver! Thanks :D !

8) 8) 8) Mission accomplished 8) 8) 8)

Over the last couple of days, I've been working on a mounting configuration for the double spring fork hoop. It now has been put together, and I was able to take photos earlier today.

I was lucky enough to find two identical Schwinn truss rod clamps in the shed and U-bolted them to the seat post to minimize the slight curvature or bend in the springs. The U-bolt threads are hidden under the seat to prevent them from being an eyesore.

I bought some 5/8 washers from Lowes and dremeled them as well as the top metal of the bumper cups in order to get them to sit on top of each other. I also revisited the rear truss rods I had on the initial mock up and decided I could find a spot for them on the build again. The second photo displays the spacing of the truss rods from the springs.

Here's the mounting configuration I was referring to earlier. Not very pretty but very sturdy. The fork hoop is mounted on both the front and back of the seatpost. What's not pictured is that the lower section of the front end of the mount is also bolted to L brackets that have been bolted through the seatpost clamp.

I bought these fenders on eBay and received them a few days ago. I like them a lot, but their usage very much remains a question mark until I see how well they mesh with wheels & tires.

That's pretty much it for now. Next phase is sprockets, chain, wheels, and tires!

Will the rear spring or is it fixed?

outskirtscustoms said:
Looking good, what you thinking for bars? low slung drag bars or apes? Either one would look great.
My initial thoughts are leaning toward this combo:

04005.JPG

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iIOUBRh8dwDsWg~~60_57.JPG

kingfish254 said:
Will the rear spring or is it fixed?
I could be wrong, but my initial thoughts are inclined to believe that the rear will spring just a little since the truss rods are not bolted in the area where the rear axle will go. The only way I'll find out for sure is when I have everything in place to do a test drive. Even if it doesn't, I still like the springs purely for looks.

From what I'm seeing advertised by The Cruiser Shop, I will have to order the 144 spoke silver hoops and paint them with Duplicolor Black Shadow. Hopefully, they'll have black spokes and hubs in stock as well. I'll likely call them to place an order this weekend.

6657_10201193427414772_1689648267_n.jpg

Here's a quick mock-up with the fenders.

My initial concern with the fenders is that they'll limit the wheel and tire size I'm able to use, and that they may draw too much attention away from the tires themselves. I'm also having reservations about the rear truss rods in that they could eliminate the action of the springs. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

I think that the nice wrappy fenders contribute more to the overall image than larger tires would. I would probably roll the back fender forward to be the same rear length as the front, but sweeper works.

deorman said:
I think that the nice wrappy fenders contribute more to the overall image than larger tires would. I would probably roll the back fender forward to be the same rear length as the front, but sweeper works.
I think you've been inside my brain because that's definitely a thought I've had regarding the larger wheels & tire combo, and I appreciate the fact that you've come out said it. I also agree with the rear fender needing to have more uniformity with the one in the front.

laidbackcool said:
Here's a quick mock-up with the fenders.

My initial concern with the fenders is that they'll limit the wheel and tire size I'm able to use, and that they may draw too much attention away from the tires themselves. I'm also having reservations about the rear truss rods in that they could eliminate the action of the springs. Any suggestions are more than welcome!
I like your design, but I have one question.... What is to stop the front wheel mount from moving upwards seeing as it looks to be only bolted at the one end of the black metal extension? Please show a closer picture of that are.

Back