*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outskirtscustoms said:
Glen said:
I absolutely LOVE the idea of wheel discs and baby moon (or other) caps. I would love to use that idea on my own build but I don't know if you can get those full wheel covers here in New Zealand... probably can, but I haven't seen them. You wouldn't need flash wheels at all if they are covered, and my wheels are far from flash :lol:

I am really loving this bike you are building and I love the pickup you are emulating... excellent work :D

:idea: If you can't find wheel covers, old metal trash can lids can be cut to fit and already have the shape. I saw it done somewhere on here before but can't find it.

Thanks, I remember seeing that too. I haven't seen any metal "trash can" lids for years... we call them rubbish bins and they are all plastic these days. Probably still work though. I have also been eyeing up the satellite dish on the neighbours roof. :wink:

Laidback,
If you're gonna go with wheel discs, why spend the extra $$$ on 144 spoke wheels when you'll be covering them up?
Now fat Jerimiahs, with discs....ohhhhh yeah!

Again, your head is in the right place, you can't go wrong with either choice.....again! :grin:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Laidback,
If you're gonna go with wheel discs, why spend the extra $$$ on 144 spoke wheels when you'll be covering them up?
Now fat Jerimiahs, with discs....ohhhhh yeah!

Again, your head is in the right place, you can't go wrong with either choice.....again! :grin:

Cheers,
Dr. T
144 spokes look too good to cover up! The plan was only to use wheel covers & hubcaps with the Jemimas if it's the route I choose to go, but of course I continue to get in my own way and remain conflicted about a wheel choice :?. Your reassurance means a great deal, but I'll be extremely :D and relieved once I've made a decision on what to do.

kingfish254 said:
I think if you use wheel covers with fat rims you will lose the visual fatness of the rim. You'll still be able to see fat tires, but you won't be able to tell that the rims are anything special at all. If you are going to use wheel covers, you might as well go with regular rims. My 2cents.
Based on the shape of the wheel covers and placing them outside of the spokes, I think Kingfish is right in that the visual fatness of the rim would disappear and that regular rims would create a better profile....

outskirtscustoms said:
Or better yet make a plate that will go in the center of the rims (Before lacing) then put the hub caps inside the spokes on each side. You'd still see the fatness of the rims but get that killer look.

You could even get custom with it and use clear or color tinted transparent plexiglass for the plate so you get a see through effect.
....or I can go with this option with the fat rims and still achieve a similar or better profile as I would with regular rims.

Glen said:
I absolutely LOVE the idea of wheel discs and baby moon (or other) caps. I would love to use that idea on my own build but I don't know if you can get those full wheel covers here in New Zealand... probably can, but I haven't seen them. You wouldn't need flash wheels at all if they are covered, and my wheels are far from flash :lol:

I am really loving this bike you are building and I love the pickup you are emulating... excellent work :D
Your kind words are very much appreciated. The thought just hit me one day like a ton of bricks, and I've been trying to ignore it ever since but can't :). The concept of a 144-spoke wheel is the same regardless if the appearance of the wheel is 1.75, 2.125, or even 3 inches wide. As nice as 144-spoke wheels look, I like this idea much better because it's outside-the-box and something that you never see on a bicycle!

outskirtscustoms said:
:idea: If you can't find wheel covers, old metal trash can lids can be cut to fit and already have the shape. I saw it done somewhere on here before but can't find it.
Glen said:
Thanks, I remember seeing that too. I haven't seen any metal "trash can" lids for years... we call them rubbish bins and they are all plastic these days.
I just stumbled across the thread regarding the metal trash can lids last night and will post it as soon as I find it. Actually, I was able to find wheel covers here in the U.S. They're white but are relatively inexpensive can easily be painted black or black chrome. I also ran across these for roughly $10 a piece plus shipping:

26_20Inch_20Coro_20Wheel_20Covers.jpg

I would like to one day do something like what Hank Young did on the rear of this chopper...

Hank+Young+Flying+Pan.jpg

Just love the idea of using old "model A" type wheels on a bicycle :D

That disc template has given me ideas too... thanks :wink:

Glen said:
I would like to one day do something like what Hank Young did on the rear of this chopper...

I love Hank Young's work, and that "Flying Pan" may be my all-time favorite custom Harley ever.

noodlenoggin said:
I love Hank Young's work, and that "Flying Pan" may be my all-time favorite custom Harley ever.
:shock: Wow :shock: what a great looking bike!

Glen said:

I'm glad I was able to spark some inspiration. You've definitely given me the shot in the arm needed to play with this idea. Thanks to you as well!

Well, I went ahead and just finished making a purchase on this wheelset:

8739111574_9366d13946.jpg

The wider wheels were simply too much to resist :wink: ! I'm seeing Kingfish's words appearing on the thread, "Mo Fatta Mo Betta!" Instead of the other way around, fender placements will be adjusted to the wheels and tires. Wish me the best of luck!

outskirtscustoms said:
Or better yet make a plate that will go in the center of the rims (Before lacing) then put the hub caps inside the spokes on each side. You'd still see the fatness of the rims but get that killer look.

You could even get custom with it and use clear or color tinted transparent plexiglass for the plate so you get a see through effect.
Several nights ago, I stumbled across an eBay posting about steel plates: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-250-STE...087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa09acb6f and then found several postings a couple of days later regarding the plexiglass: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=plexi+glass+circles&rt=nc. I'm also digging the idea of using pizza screens, and I must thank Kingfish and "Beer Run" for that!

Absolutely a killer build. You have nailed the long and low look. 8)

I really like the Nash hubcaps....love seeing actual car parts incorporated in bike builds!

sleepy said:
Absolutely a killer build. You have nailed the long and low look. 8)

I really like the Nash hubcaps....love seeing actual car parts incorporated in bike builds!
Good to hear from you and I appreciate the compliment! Hopefully, the use of hubcaps will generate a successful outcome.

I won these hubcaps on eBay and made the payment. While browsing at many different options, these were the only hubcaps that had the kind of concave element to them that I like. They are approximately 10 inches across and 8.5 inches across the inside of the back, so they're not overly big or spacious like the wheel covers I was considering for the build. They're also reasonably sized to where they won't compromise the visual fatness of the rims. After looking at the photo of the truck again, I really like how the wheels look in all black with no hubcaps. In all likelihood, I'll end up painting these matte black to match the rims.

$T2eC16dHJGwFFZ(S+jDgBRZdZ9idww~~60_57.JPG

I forgot to mention that I'm starting to feel a little pressure in terms of completing this build. Reason being is that I recently received a promotion at my job in which my transfer date is July 1st (roughly six days away :shock: )! Luckily, I'll be off work on the Fourth of July as well as the 5th, and hopefully I'll make some major progress on the build during that time. The new position will require me to put in more hours than my previous position, and I'm unsure as to what kind of influence it will have on the time I need to finish the build. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for nothing but the best 8) !

^^ I'm like you, recent promotion and busier than ever. So burned out after a day's work, no time or gumption to work on bicycles. Best of luck to you. Congrats on promotion.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
^^ I'm like you, recent promotion and busier than ever. So burned out after a day's work, no time or gumption to work on bicycles. Best of luck to you. Congrats on promotion.
That's what I'm dreading will happen to me :roll:, but maybe I'm overreacting and won't feel as bad as I think from working the extra hours. Thanks for the congratulatory remarks, and I'm positive that you'll experience better days ahead in your new position. Congrats to you on your promotion as well!

CONGRATS MAN!! I KNOW YOU'LL FINISH CUZ I WEAR THE CROW BUT SELDOM EAT IT!! PEACE

It's awfully quiet over there? What's up buddy!
9030269284_22e79e7c67_z.jpg

kingfish254 said:
It's awfully quiet over there? What's up buddy!
9030269284_22e79e7c67_z.jpg

What's up Kingfish!

Last week was my first week in my new position at my job, and I've had a few curveballs thrown in my direction which has kept me busy quite a bit. The good news is during this time both the street hog tires and 3G Jemimas arrived at my doorstep. The hub caps are here as well, and I'm just waiting on the tubes and rim strips to show up at my door no later than tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll find the time to work on the wheels
Jake Sensi said:
CONGRATS MAN!! I KNOW YOU'LL FINISH CUZ I WEAR THE CROW BUT SELDOM EAT IT!! PEACE
and prove Jake right by finishing this bike before the deadline :roll:!

It's been a while since I posted an update. Not too much has transpired. Here are the street hogs mounted to the Jemimas (weird camera angle but the left tire is actually the bigger of the two):

Wheel & tire setup for the front...

...as well as for the rear:

The front braces on the front fender were very easy to remove due to the screws being completely rusted out. The front fender fits perfectly, especially once it's mounted to the fork steer tube. Adjustments will have to be made to the fit and location of the rear fenders, but I don't foresee the legwork being a major issue.

Latest posts

Back