*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MplsCoaster said:
I like the way you are pulling this together
The seat position (seems more level) looks more comfortable to me

This is just my $.02, you may want to beef up the mounting for the back of the seat
My last year's bike had a mount that bolted more together (near the bottom of the page)
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56493&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=135
But wasn't robust enough, so I made some more heavy duty aluminum brackets from stock pieces
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56493&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=150
After a year of riding it, I'm seeing some bend ( :shock: ) in the aluminum from flopping down on the seat
So now I need to build it even beefier, again, just my $.02...

The stance on your bike is awesome!!
I actually happen to agree with you 100% regarding the mounting for the back of the seat and have been concerned that the brackets would show some bend from flopping over time. Will definitely look into installing more heavy duty brackets. Thanks for the heads up as well as the compliment. Now, I'm looking forward to finally seeing what this bad boy will look like with the whitewalls and wide 144 spoke wheels 8)

kingfish254 said:
The stance looks cool, but before you go too far, throw a sprocket up front and check out your chain lines top and bottom.
Very good point Kingfish! That is something that likely will be done once I get the wheels and tires. The rear wheel will be 3 inches wide with an offset rear sprocket, which will give me a better feel for the chain lines with the front sprocket and help me determine the adjustments that need to be made to the location of the dropouts.

346sprockets.jpg

I'm sure you will get it all straight. I just remember how much checking I had to do for both Fugsley and Flexy.
I like the way your mental gears are turning.

kingfish254 said:
I'm sure you will get it all straight. I just remember how much checking I had to do for both Fugsley and Flexy.
I like the way your mental gears are turning.

I checked out your thread on Flexy, and man your attention to detail blew me straight out the water! In terms of my mental gears, I'm just a newbie trying to keep up let alone reach the bar that's been set by great builders such as yourself and many others 8) !

do you own that truck too? such a killer truck! I used to have a 53 Chevy and kick myself everyday for not keeping it. Super cool build.

rat-a-tac said:
do you own that truck too? such a killer truck! I used to have a 53 Chevy and kick myself everyday for not keeping it. Super cool build.

I own that truck only in my world of dreams and wishful thinking :mrgreen:. Unless you had a legit reason for not keeping the truck, I would kick myself everyday too! Thanks for the compliment!

fordsnake said:
Wow...you have many stance options to choose from, but in the end you'll need just one that'll work with your frame. Im sure with your discerning eye you'll make the right choice? Love where you're going with this build.
Your builds are nothing short of amazing, so it means a great deal to read these words coming from you. Thank you very much!

I went back to the drawing board with the seating arrangement and ditched the bracket. I found the original handlebars that came with the bike, chopped off one of the handles, and used it to make a layback seatpost. Then I used the guts from a different seat to mount the saddle to the seatpost.

All of the clutter is gone, which creates clearance for the springs to rest comfortably on the fork hoop. It's impossible to tell in the photo, but the spring stay in the background has threading that ripped due to a rust frozen acorn nut. Either I will have the spring stays cut and re-threaded by an LBS or buy a new fork hoop. I also have the room needed to install fenders, and there's enough clearance between the seat springs to avoid any rub from the wider wheels and tires I plan on using.

The brace attached the seat springs will be clamped down to the seatpost to eliminate any movement that may occur from the hairpin. I was too tired to work deal with it tonight, so it will be taken care of tomorrow.

I like the flow of the seatpost with the rest of the frame but will see how well it's positioned once it's mocked up with a front wheel tomorrow.

You mentioned the Cruiser Shop a few pages earlier. I happened to find myself near Campbell, CA today with some time to kill, so I checked it out. It's a nice little shop - and they had a decent selection of the 72h and 144h rims you were looking at. I walked out with some Project 346 tires and some nice Ape Hangers for Bar Fly.

Did you ever connect with them?

justride said:
You mentioned the Cruiser Shop a few pages earlier. I happened to find myself near Campbell, CA today with some time to kill, so I checked it out. It's a nice little shop - and they had a decent selection of the 72h and 144h rims you were looking at. I walked out with some Project 346 tires and some nice Ape Hangers for Bar Fly.

Did you ever connect with them?
I did through a few emails to see if they had 72h and 144h hoops that were 2.5 inches wide. They told me they didn't know of anyone who made them but had the 24x3 & 26x3 in 72h & 144h that you're referring to. Since I've extended the dropouts on the frame to accommodate the wider hoops, I emailed the owner back a few days ago and have been waiting for a reply to see if they have the 144s in black. If not, then I'll likely give them a call sometime this weekend. While you were there, do remember seeing any 144s in black (I know they have them in polished silver)?

justride said:
I saw the silver ones - I just happened to see them hanging above the register. Didn't notice any black ones, though. I was distracted by all the shiny bits in the store. :)
Shiny bits is what that store appears to have plenty of :shock:. Push comes to shove, if they don't have any in black then I'll order the silver ones and paint them this color:
shadow1.jpg

Thanks for the heads up!

Was lucky enough to get a few photos before sunset. Did a little work on the seating...

Then, I managed a mock up of the seat with a front wheel. The length of the seatpost may be questionable for some people's tastes, but I like it much better than I thought. In fact, I was quiet surprised to see how well the seatpost complimented the lines of the seat tube as well as the crash rail on the back of the seat. The saddle is a bit high but can easily be adjusted. Overall, I'm satisfied with the results.

I initially went with this stem for my build, however...

...after stumbling across another stem on the ebay, I think it will compliment the frame much better. Plus the handlebars I plan on using are 23" wide with a 16" pullback! So, I'm hoping that this stem combined with the saddle being further back will allow for more comfortable hand placement on the bars when cruising.

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iIOUBRh8dwDsWg~~60_57.JPG

This silent assassin is making alot of noize!! so crank up that PE " bring the noize" and GTB!!! PEACE

Back