RRBBO-8 Preview

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost forgot... I bought one of these too!

sram-dual-drive-shifter-31471.jpg

That looks a lot like the "RPM" crank I pulled of one of my Free Nexus 7 Un Builds.

WP_001484.jpg

kingfish254 said:
That looks a lot like the "RPM" crank I pulled of one of my Free Nexus 7 Un Builds.

Yep, I'm not sure how the different branding plays into it, but here is what appears to be the the same crank with 'RPM' in place of 'CYCLONE' that is on mine.

52733.jpg

Smoopy's said:
this is all I got to build...just an ole' American bike w/ some ole' American parts & some ole' American Ingenuity...it will be boring to say the least

I can't imagine a boring Smoopy build!!!!!! Your description sounds like the perfect RRBBO build.

Welcome back stranger. I am actually in your city this week.
For anyone that doesn't know. Fordsnake is the builder fo last year's winner - MoFaux.

kingfish254 said:
For anyone that doesn't know. Fordsnake is the builder fo last year's winner - MoFaux.

Thanks for the welcome back...boy, do I miss the camaraderie here! I've been playing in that other playground; collecting and selling bikes, I'm down to a manageable lucky 7. I was able to keep two frames that I'm considering using for this year's BBO.

So you're in my town for how long! I'm heading to Cummings, Georgia tomorrow morning, too funny!

Looking forward to this! I didn't find this site until after last years build off but went back and retraced your build and would have to agree with the final vote. Very nice work!

fordsnake said:
This year's entry I'm naming "Remix." The objective is to repurpose parts from different eras...shapeshifting their function for a sexy, fresh look.

fordsnake said:
kingfish254 said:

Thanks for the welcome back...boy, do I miss the camaraderie here! I've been playing in that other playground; collecting and selling bikes, I'm down to a manageable lucky 7. I was able to keep two frames that I'm considering using for this year's BBO.

So you're in my town for how long! I'm heading to Cummings, Georgia tomorrow morning, too funny!

You could say hello so my sister for me. Maybe next time I'm in the bay area we can meet up for a beer and talk bikes.

Ever go to buy a new car and see the shinny new conv.in the showroom but what you really need is a mini-van SUV.That's the way this build off is turning for me---I have plans for a tandem.That's what I really do need--for the wife (or Gkids) to ride with me.but in getting parts I now have almost enough for the "red conv"a single seater in what I plan would be sooooo...sexy.
12 days more to think on it :roll:

just got my frame delivered this week
going to turn this Shelby Traveler into a Time Trial style bike using duct tape on every spot i can
Duct Tape = Paint, graphics, seat cover, grips, etc
I'm even going to try and build a "tank" for it using duct tape

"DUCYCLE"
1e0b4e40-874a-44de-98ec-d8bf19857d10_zpsba37d182.jpg

I love that idea. There are a ton of patterns available with duct tape now.

frameteam2003 said:
Ever go to buy a new car and see the shinny new conv.in the showroom but what you really need is a mini-van SUV.That's the way this build off is turning for me---I have plans for a tandem.That's what I really do need--for the wife (or Gkids) to ride with me.but in getting parts I now have almost enough for the "red conv"a single seater in what I plan would be sooooo...sexy.
12 days more to think on it :roll:

I feel your pain. I've been switching back and forth between 3 or 4 ideas for a while. :D

If it helps, my final decision came down to these factors...

1) Which build do I think is the most likely one to finish on time?
2) Which build would stand out among the typical bikes from previous build-offs?
3) Which category do I have better odds for competing in and will I have to compromise anything?
4) Which build is the most economical to achieve?

Obviously, all of these questions pertain to entering a competition. If you are entering a competition, then you should do so with that mindset (in my opinion). If you are entering it just to motivate yourself to build a cool bike, then build exactly what you want and don't be bothered with anything else that might compromise your vision such as a deadline, specific rules that hinder you (anything goes category will take care of that) or which one of your ideas that you think others would be most interested in.

Even with all of that said, it's still hard to choose! I still plan to build my other ideas, I only have to decide when. Just build what you want and have fun. It's just a hobby!

$.02

I'm glad to say I will be submiting a build this year. Necessity and the build off's timing is perfect. My new found passion for photography has brought me together with a 1954 Graflex 4X5 Speed Graphic camera that weighs 10 pounds. I need a small bike with low center of gravity and cargo capacity to lug this thing around with a huge tripod around town. The answer, a folder. So this will be a practical goal oriented build with a touch of cool. :)

Here's the blank canvas:

Speed Graphic is a great camera--lookin forward to seeing your build.
and thanks The Renaissance Man your correct on all points and was nice to hear.

O.K. made a desision--here's my plan...I'm goint to build a Mochet type two seater velocar I'll call the Silver Moon.(guess what color it'll be)That will be my buildoff plan--it'll be a quad cycle because it's a tandem(wife&me)At the same time I'll start the Cresent Racer a tadpol bodied trike.May not finish the trike but I may as well do the frame while I have everthing out..
Hears one side of the frame

that didn't say much..did it?
This is the pattern or blueprint---just a loose idea on this part

I also plan on using Cyclekarting as the Inspiration

till May 1

Latest posts

Back