Walmart FatBikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at that side view the frame looks weird.if I got one first thing I'd do is cut the head tube and lay it back to give it some rake,loose the ugly fat front fork and tire ,put a long triple tree fork on it and build a chopper with a skinny 26 or 27 in front wheel tire.add some apes.then it might be cool.there is hope it's just for me @200 there's way too much for me to change.im interested to see how they are gonna look after mods.theres some really talented ppl on this site.

yoothgeye said:
Rat Rod said:
It's a bike from Walmart for $199...don't over expect...ha ha.

I'm already predicting that I won't regret this purchase. You can quote me on this later.
I have 700 plus in mine, and Im NOT regretting it. Great fun bike. Orderred a disc brake for the front wheel, it should be fun in the woods. I am old, and aint jumping it, just puttin' around. It goes well on the rail trails. It went well on the muddy woods, but no traction in wet,soupy leaves. Dryer weather will come, someday. Maybe someone will trade me for the tires on the WM bike they bought.

yoothgeye said:
dracothered said:
Man this bike would be KOOL as "HE double hockey sticks" to motorize it... may have to chop and weld to do it, but all the more fun...

I think a motor will fit, this is an 18" frame, basic diamond, just clearing the tire with the chain will be your biggest task.

When I think motorized bicycle my mind immediately goes to street use (like the ones I've built) and I wouldn't want to use these tires on the road at 30mph for a long time. But, off-road? Yeah, that could be cool, but the places I trail ride on a bike I would get into trouble being out there on something with a motor on it.
Depending on the rear hub diameter it may be possible to use a sprocket adapter which should make it easy to clear the chain. Now I am wondering why you are saying you wouldn't want to run those tires at 30 mph on the road for a long time, please explain why?

Here's what these bikes will be good for...riding on the beach or on the grass and VERY LIGHT dirt trail use...i.e. no jumping or hitting heavy bumps.

If you go into this expecting some heavy duty $700-$3000 fat tire bike like the Spyder or the Moonlander you will disappointed.

I bought one because they look quirky and are probably fun to piddle around on in the neighborhood.

Again, it's a $199 from Walmart. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
Here's what these bikes will be good for...riding on the beach or on the grass and VERY LIGHT dirt trail use...i.e. no jumping or hitting heavy bumps.

If you go into this expecting some heavy duty $700-$3000 fat tire bike like the Spyder or the Moonlander you will disappointed.

I bought one because they look quirky and are probably fun to piddle around on in the neighborhood.

Again, it's a $199 from Walmart. :lol:
+1

I promise that these will be fun to ride around the hood on! Fugsley has never failed to put a smile on my face and others. I look at these as a more realistic version of Fugsley.

dracothered said:
Now I am wondering why you are saying you wouldn't want to run those tires at 30 mph on the road for a long time, please explain why?

Basically be abuse these are light use bicycle tires, not motorcycle or even scooter tires, the heat and vibrations could prematurely wear these out and cause a blow out, plus, just a flat with that much tire sidewall at speed would be dangerous.

clamdigger said:
The Ride On Purpose review is not making sense to me. Why would a 5' 11" rider have the seat tube extended out so far if it is an 18" frame ?

Because he is usIng it as a mountain bike and not a cruiser.

Rat Rod said:
l:

Don't you already have a Surly foot putting around the neighbor hood?;-)

My friend has a Surly Pugsley and calls it his 32 pound basketball. It bounces like one of you pick it up and drop it. So you guys will have a 47 pound basketball.:mrgreen:

A lot happened overnight:

3/27/13 5:50 AM At local FedEx facility EMPORIA,VA
3/27/13 4:26 AM In transit ASHLAND,VA
3/27/13 1:33 AM Departed FedEx location HAGERSTOWN,MD

Emporia is less than 20 miles from my house!

Back