BO15 WAHA-SEDB-3 (TRIKE-TOR...2nd Place)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question, did it ever run through your mind to ditch the two front wheels idea, and just put one under the sheet metal, so it was more like a motorcycle fairing?

Just a question, did it ever run through your mind to ditch the two front wheels idea, and just put one under the sheet metal, so it was more like a motorcycle fairing?

Yes it did but again there would be a steering issue. I also thought about trying to articulate the hood and let it move with wheel as it turns. I got stuck on the look of the double front wheels so set on working out the steering at this point.
Here’s a few picks of the original cowling idea with the hood with paint.
1a41a47691165a4b861538e0db7ce7e0.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk
8b26544cc176ff7bde4014fad041e0ec.jpg

2fe49bf3f629b125b032e022b70b8a7a.jpg

Last edited:
Just seeing your support bolts for the hood coming out the side made me think; what if you made those even longer and mounted twin head lamps off them, one to each side?

I really believe your steering answer is a wider front axle. Your turning radius will be greatly improved, and the stability hugely enhanced. Plus, if you go with the big headlights on the sides, they will fill in part of the 'gap' the wider axle will create.

@MazdaFlyer I think you made the right choice. It needs trike for support, can't imagine how top-heavy it is, seems unmanageable on two wheels. Oj's suggestion on headlamps sounds slick, the hive mind is really working on this one

this looks like a fun build. I hope you are having fun and learning a lot. You have great ambition!
Maybe blind ambition, but thanks for watching. My background as an educator, architectural designer and specifier were all creativity related vocations. It’s in my blood, this forum and these builds are my creative outlet at present.
Life is like riding a bicycle, to maintain your balance you have to keep moving.
Just seeing your support bolts for the hood coming out the side made me think; what if you made those even longer and mounted twin head lamps off them, one to each side?

I really believe your steering answer is a wider front axle. Your turning radius will be greatly improved, and the stability hugely enhanced. Plus, if you go with the big headlights on the sides, they will fill in part of the 'gap' the wider axle will create.
Rainy again today do the axle change out may be on hold for today. Some big lights might work well, I have a couple of small ones that I’d thought about yesterday. Again this is all about trial (trowel) and error.
17b1396aa73148c2e0c80a1a51680d4f.jpg

I guess rat minds think alike.
@MazdaFlyer I think you made the right choice. It needs trike for support, can't imagine how top-heavy it is, seems unmanageable on two wheels. Oj's suggestion on headlamps sounds slick, the hive mind is really working on this one
Well it’s still a work in progress...3.5 months left. Here is the articulated idea.
d2140df279d7afd41e7d89c4d12f14d6.jpg

I had also played with though of moving the hood back over the frame with the front just behind the front wheel. That would have required the hood to be sectioned in order to clear pedals.
So I’m with you the trike idea seemed to fall into place.

Sent using Tapatalk

Here’s another scenario with the hood sectioned to reduce the width and placed over the frame and sorta making a rear fender. The manual photo mock-up isn’t to scale though. But I think it transmit the general idea.
db72403c70c9e909eef2eb08cddf0fe8.jpg

The above photo is what I was trying to describe in my last quote. Actually rather liked this concept. Steering solved.

Sent using Tapatalk

Some of those concepts are pretty cool like the articulated one. However I think the hood really needs the trike. You're on the right path, don't sway now. It's just some engineering :grin:

I would try a wider axle. Since you've got threaded rod, you could go out to max width and bring the wheels in incrementally until you find a sweet spot between show and go. Not as simple, but I believe some caster and camber (just a touch) could help some of the handling issues

I agree, the path you are currently on is the correct path. I like the compact front end you have now. While making it wider may help with control, style wise it would take away tremendously from the sleekness of the hood if the wheels were farther apart. The current proportions are much more artfully appealing.

Currently the front wheels flow and are part of the bike, if you put them out farther, they become distracting outriggers.

It's the old 'show' or 'go' battle once again. If as a bicycle it's intended to be safely and somewhat comfortably ridden, at least by it's builder anyway, that has to be considered. If it's just an art piece for 'show' then the aesthetics prevail over the physics. Finding the compromise is the real trick.

I do like the two wheels in front the best. And Captain's idea of starting wide and gradually getting down to the optimal ride / look position is a good one. It would have that 'tractor in front / bicycle in back' kind of look. You decide which one's the 'party'.

Some of those concepts are pretty cool like the articulated one. However I think the hood really needs the trike. You're on the right path, don't sway now. It's just some engineering :grin:

I would try a wider axle. Since you've got threaded rod, you could go out to max width and bring the wheels in incrementally until you find a sweet spot between show and go. Not as simple, but I believe some caster and camber (just a touch) could help some of the handling issues
Yes with the time invested so far it’s do or die with the two wheels up front. I have a couple of gas filled struts on the way. I may hold off on the axle experiment until I can try the struts. I think eventually though I’ll move wheels out some for a bit more clearance.

I agree, the path you are currently on is the correct path. I like the compact front end you have now. While making it wider may help with control, style wise it would take away tremendously from the sleekness of the hood if the wheels were farther apart. The current proportions are much more artfully appealing.

Currently the front wheels flow and are part of the bike, if you put them out farther, they become distracting outriggers.
I’m in agreement with you on the look but I feel I need a bit more clearance to ride safely. Waiting on some gas struts to replace the or supplement the springs. After that trial I’ll probably experiment with the wheel track.
Thanks for your input.

It's the old 'show' or 'go' battle once again. If as a bicycle it's intended to be safely and somewhat comfortably ridden, at least by it's builder anyway, that has to be considered. If it's just an art piece for 'show' then the aesthetics prevail over the physics. Finding the compromise is the real trick.

I do like the two wheels in front the best. And Captain's idea of starting wide and gradually getting down to the optimal ride / look position is a good one. It would have that 'tractor in front / bicycle in back' kind of look. You decide which one's the 'party'.
I’m in agreement with all three of you, thus the dilemma. The goal is to get it rideable according to the rules. I’d also like for it to have good aesthetics also. Shows are scarce these days and so is go...so driveway, up and down the block.

I haven’t figured out how to do a multi-quote with using a browser, so here I am with Tapatalk.

I’ve appreciated the recent input and discussion on the form and function of this hybrid project. It’s evolving slowly. I have a a couple of gas filled struts on the way as an alternative to the current springs.
0316c49b13dd767e902f723c132fab82.jpg

I also have a pair of steering spindles that I’m trying to process a weld-less class one way to incorporate into the build.
753d7960660d685a5df8fb3e7535e0ca.jpg

So you may see these items show up down the road.

While waiting on the struts I’m thinking about getting out the WD40, steel wool and boiled linseed oil. Interested in seeing how much the frame will clean up, still some paint. The hood is all rust, the other one has paint but more bumps and bruises.

Another twist to this might be 20” front wheels. That was my original thought but the 24”s popped up cheap so they were the starting point. That would drop the front stance a couple of inches, thinking it would help the look. It would also help the turning radius.

Sent using Tapatalk

That would go with the tractor vibe too, since the front wheels are always so much smaller than the rear.

b558027bbbfcc260344bde5efd5a39d7.jpg

45558e320cc81458847f985158593b1c.jpg

ce1d1574e2a2c51f222c2419851bf9f3.jpg

I like the steering mechanism. Also nice to see on video, now you can really see it working! Reminds me a bit of the "Piaggio" bikes with two front wheels....... this project is much cooler!

Back