BO15 WAHA-SEDB-3 (TRIKE-TOR...2nd Place)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If 36" is too wide visually, maybe adjust things inward until you get a happy medium between function and looks and trim off the excess all thread?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If 36" is too wide visually, maybe adjust things inward until you get a happy medium between function and looks and trim off the excess all thread?

And there are tractors out there with adjustable wheel widths...just a related thought.

Sent using Tapatalk

Finally got underneath the Worksman for a few pics. It's actually a lot more simple under there than I anticipated, hope you find something useful.
IMG_20200510_095337161.jpg
IMG_20200510_095359061.jpg
IMG_20200510_095410444.jpg

Steering is done via a bar mounted to the black platform. Those two silver brackets just visible on the first image are where it mounts

Finally got underneath the Worksman for a few pics. It's actually a lot more simple under there than I anticipated, hope you find something useful.
View attachment 119791View attachment 119792View attachment 119794
Steering is done via a bar mounted to the black platform. Those two silver brackets just visible on the first image are where it mounts

Thanks for the details! Pretty simple system. Those are made to run on level surfaces and loaded so there is general stability. With that design a swivel pivot could be incorporated.

Sent using Tapatalk

Planning to add some weight. Hoping the frame holds up. Some rough sketches NTS, basic starting point.
ba487ecdd0a1a290daa806b29a70c86b.jpg

Around 10:00 am I grabbed a mask and headed to HD for a 36” axle. The parking lot was full and maybe 50 people in line waiting to get in. I watched the line for a while. Decided I didn’t want to stand in line so I left. Our Menards has started requiring masks so I’m thinking that may have increased HD traffic.
May try again later today. Family Zoom Mother’s Day conference coming up soon.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for the details! Pretty simple system. Those are made to run on level surfaces and loaded so there is general stability. With that design a swivel pivot could be incorporated.

Sent using Tapatalk
Yeah, I figured that you are far enough down the path that this wasn't going to change your plans. Just wanted to put the information out there in case anyone follows in your footsteps.
As for the HD lineup, maybe they were there to get masks so they could get in at Menards. Lol I'm tired of 2020. This Build Off is keeping me going.

Yeah, I figured that you are far enough down the path that this wasn't going to change your plans. Just wanted to put the information out there in case anyone follows in your footsteps.
As for the HD lineup, maybe they were there to get masks so they could get in at Menards. Lol I'm tired of 2020. This Build Off is keeping me going.

HD hasn’t had any masks in stock since mid March.
If the hood was going to be articulated, I’d move to class 2 and borrow the Worksman design. Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing this one built. Been waiting a long time for the DB hood to finally show up in a build-off,
Big knobby tires to make the front look more like the walk behind tractor? :crazy2:
I remember a website where they sell tractor tires for wheelbarrow wheels and pedal cars. They look pretty sweet! Also possible to fit 16 inch kids bikes wheels.

Last edited:
That cantilever bracing should work well for the tractor hood.
Maybe you should even have the bracing spread out in a V similar to Cycle Truck braces.

I love how cool and fun this looks!!!!!

1589143503862.png

41 degrees, rainy with some sleet. Anyway step one in fitting the hood. Two 1-1/4x1-1/4x1/8 x 36” HRS angles with wire ties. The bike, angles and wire ties were supporting the DB hood.
93e982d223d8739b0bd3d27748623b05.jpg

5d014b7b99566547cd80207a446759c2.jpg

c75c6130ae846f35acbf5b01843ac61a.jpg

a84a55b1d98d4afb1498b96939728e81.jpg

My fingers are numb, thought process day ahead. No heat in garage or driveway. I will need to trim the long ends a bit.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Baling wire adds to the agricultural aspects of the build. LOL

Gonna be ultra cool, frosty even, when done.

Guess I need to get some wire, it would be cheaper than bolts and as you say, added agricultural flair. Would also help in the area of measure twice, cut once or measure twice, drill once.
The old Motobike I used last year had some bailing wire holding the rack and basket together when I found it.

PS: think I might have some rebar ties.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Found my old rebar tie wires and reinforced the plastic wire ties at the support angles. I’ll do a mire positive anchor system as this evolves. In looking at it wired up I see any easier way to anchor the angles than I’d previously sketched up.
6dc3cd7eaf3427af651d9b66a4f98578.jpg

7baeb5a4327c20650aca04da24d1445c.jpg

I also notched the hood for the top bar location.
e098f91887ef2d6869db37e293160147.jpg

f244b260acdbf0e8b5a48bea5840483e.jpg

a856b5763951ca4ad5215b4e3a753e00.jpg

The angles just happen to catch the top layer of the hood at the grill. This might eliminate some of the other structure I had sketched up. Still 41 degrees and intermittent rain.
Think I need a hood ornament and a light.

Sent using Tapatalk

It would probably be a good idea to slide some wedges top and/or bottom in between the frame and the rebar ties to limit any up and down play as you hit any bumps in the road.

It would probably be a good idea to slide some wedges top and/or bottom in between the frame and the rebar ties to limit any up and down play as you hit any bumps in the road.
Thanks.
The wire and ties are temporary as part of mock-up. Isolating material is good idea, but the final version will use some metal pieces to secure angles to the frame just short of welding, which should eliminate most vibrations. The hood will get secured to the steel under structure. The wire mounted top horizontal angles will provide the basis for the other supports/stabilizers. There may be some rattles, it is a rat rod.
I like KF's idea ^ . Maybe some rubber baby buggy bumpers? Tractor sized?
Thanks, say that real fast.
I have some pond liner EPDM material that I’m thinking will provide separation of metal surfaces. Think the EPDM is 60mil.
There might be some faux springs/shocks.

Sent using Tapatalk

aa8c3ccc9fdbbcf9515a3c65a5ebc74f.jpg

6b9ad7c56871740719bc5d3bd7e52777.jpg

4f99592584e7416f88aa5366cafb0e1b.jpg

d39647d39f583efef909c92aea856cde.jpg

As it sits now, held in place with the temporary rebar wire and wire ties. Suppose to rain all week. Hoping to work out the understructue next. The steering spindle/struts arrived today.

Sent using Tapatalk

Awesome seat cover! [emoji16]

That’s the disadvantage of using leather, so it’s a “bagger” at times. But yah those bags are cheap protection. Kinda like wearing a mask.

Last edited:
Back