The King of Cowley County has left the building.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dead Man's Hand

garagegoon said:
I have just what you need.....
004-2.jpg
Hey man I'm not picking please dont take this wrong. I do "Dutch" style striping on the side (have for years) and I just wanted to let you know that the brush you have there is a mack 20 "greenie". Its for filling in scratches. You need a Mack 10 it has a blue rap, its 100% blue squirrel hair. Like I said I'm not picking just the "greenie" is not made of 100% squirrel and the paint run's out of the brush fast making pulling the line harder. If you strip with a 20 my hats off to you. You have twice my skill :D

Re: The King of Cowley County

i always get the serise brushes confused. i use a OO green most of the time and i have a few OOO blue for thin stuff.

I have never pinstripped anything. Garage Goon got me the brush and One Shot in exchange for some parts. Any tips or tricks I should need to know? I am just planning on laying some lines along my scallops (for now).

yea I'm doing the same thing...Ive also never pinstripped it will be my first time on this frame...Cameron, get a quarter panel or a door and practice on it.

I have plenty of scrap sheet metal lying around and there will be practice before I go near the bike. The wife bight be upset if she gets up tomorrow morning and I have pinstripped her minivan over night....

http://www.rockyburris.com/Pinstriping_ ... learn.aspx
i hold my brush different than he says but hes got some good stuff
btw learn to do just lines before trying to jump off on designs...if youre gonna learn might as well learn first things first....
as for the green wrapped single ought....thats what i started out with(but i went and got a blue ferrule 000 after i found out how heavy handed i was)....theres nothing wrong with them theyll work fine.you just need a light touch unless you want thick lines

opps......sorry i hijacked this thread :oops:

Garagegoon hooked me up with some pinstripping supplies in exchange for an old tank I had in the garage. I rushed home after work to see if my hand was steady enough. I need a lot of practice before I go near my bike! Thanks Dave!

udallcustombikes said:
Garagegoon hooked me up with some pinstripping supplies in exchange for an old tank I had in the garage. I rushed home after work to see if my hand was steady enough. I need a lot of practice before I go near my bike! Thanks Dave!

what type o brush ya using?

pallet your paint on the cover of a glossy magazine. thin it until you can just pull it along the magazine without drag. your paint will stripe more evenly and i find you get a better result. good luck and remember to show us how you get on (bleeds and all :lol: )

Love the colors... This is going t be a good lookin bike... You have my vote so far...

Well guy I'd say start here http://www.kustomkulturelounge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4 this is my fav striping site. And for ideas this site is tops!!!!http://www.pinheadlounge.com/pinstriping/newest/

Any way if I was you I'd practice on glass. Fill it up will lines then when its dry take a razer blade to it and start again. Put copy's of the shapes you wish to learn under the glass and paint over them. It was 1/2 a year before I even touched a car let a lone a bike. Stick with it and you wont be sorry. If you think you dont have what it takes just remember this "If you can write your name you can pinstripe". That not my words It's Ed "Big Daddy" Roths.

As for advice dont use mineral spirits it dont work with 1 shot anymore.
Oil the heck out of your brushes when your done with it.
Use glossy paper to pallet your brush on.
And clean the heck out of what your going to paint.
For more info go to kustomkulturelounge.com as posted up top and go to search and type noob help or something like that. Its where I get my info. If you need more and think your going to stick with it send me a message and I'll try to get my 200 page scrap book scanned in to my computer and send it to ya.

I gotta find a new crank. The new BB kit I bought doesn't fit the threads on the original one and the one I have that fits the threads won't fit through the bottom bracket. :x :x :x

Add to that the fact that I am not happy with the paint, my custom springer fork is not coming together the way I want, and I still need to find a few key elements- seat, post, bars and pedals. :x :x :x

I am afraid there might be a terrible grinder accident if I cannot pull it together.

Back