TRADITIONAL Quasi-Motobike : "Tanks, for the memories"...pg 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Pondo , hopefully you say my vid from last year where I 'doctored up' a set of Thompson Classic grips to match the seat and tires on Faded Glory.
I remember watching it before, I'm going to find it and watch it again. I really want to learn some ratina techniques.
If you have around 7 minutes to spare in your day, it will bring you up to speed; the key word being 'speed' as in OddJob build speed! :bigsmile:
Great video, OJ! I can't believe you have that thing rideable already. It looks terrific and will look even better with the matched bars and stem. The wheel/tire combo is perfect. Very cool build!

Day 4

Rain day today. I got so much done on Quasi-Moto yesterday that I feel a 'day off' coming on.

There was a question about how close the original 28" wheels are to the current 700c wheels that I am using on my build. They are very close. In fact, the tires that come on the Electra Loft 1 model, of which my wheels are replacement stock, are advertised as '700 x 35mm. But the actual size that is imprinted on the tire reads like this:

loft 1 tire 2.jpg

And here is a side by side comparison of the original Hawthorne wheels and the modern wheels:

Quasi Moto wheel comparison.jpg

That's all for today from a very rainy and cool, BACK40. "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" ~ everybody in Minnesota

That looks fantastic! Only like black wheels on certain bikes but the really suit this. Tires fill it out nicely and give it the motorbike vibe you described in your intro post.

But you’ve got lots of time to kill. Couple ideas for you. Maybe some kind of crossbar for the handlebars? Really like that feature.

And since you won’t want to destroy your good slacks maybe you could use your woodworking skill to make a chainguard? Picturing something thin. Perhaps laminated? Then weathered to match the patina?

That looks fantastic! Only like black wheels on certain bikes but the really suit this. Tires fill it out nicely and give it the motorbike vibe you described in your intro post.

But you’ve got lots of time to kill. Couple ideas for you. Maybe some kind of crossbar for the handlebars? Really like that feature.

And since you won’t want to destroy your good slacks maybe you could use your woodworking skill to make a chainguard? Picturing something thin. Perhaps laminated? Then weathered to match the patina?
Chad my brother, all I can say is "Like minds!"

You have read mine, I want to mimic the original motobike bars with a cross bar and RaT-ina, and I have a chain guard 'in mind' as well; pretty much as you described it. If I get bored inside on this rainy day, I may go out to the BACK40 again later and do some mock-ups. Thanks for the props! Keep the ideas coming!

I've got the same weather today out here in Cali. At least it's not fire season yet. I love the ideas for handlebar cross bar and chain guard. I know you'll come up with something Kool!

Day 3

I won't add much text here, the video update says it all. If you have around 7 minutes to spare in your day, it will bring you up to speed; the key word being 'speed' as in OddJob build speed! :bigsmile:

EDIT: I misspoke in the video relating that I went to see my mom on Monday, it was actually Wednesday, the first day of the build off. I'm old, and I was really excited at the moment! :nod:

View attachment 264130View attachment 264129View attachment 264132View attachment 264131View attachment 264132View attachment 264133View attachment 264128

Put some grips on that and call it done! Great looking bike already, can’t wait to see what you do with it

Put some grips on that and call it done! Great looking bike already, can’t wait to see what you do with it
Thanks man! I have a few things I want to try, some RaT-ina and couple of parts mock ups. It is a solid rider for sure!

Looks great Lee! I can't believe it took so long for the first ride though.:21:

I personally do not like the look of a clear coat (especially gloss!) over the original patina. I would recommend a couple of light applications of boiled linseed oil buffed in. To me it gives it a much warmer and more natural finish and accomplishes the job that your after.

So, the mystery game of 'RRB Clue' that we have been playing on the 'sniffing BO 19 ' thread up to this point, is trying to determine the manufacturer of this Hawthorne De Luxe motobike. Both the Cleveland Welding Co and Snyder / DP Harris produced motobikes for the Montgomery Wards Hawthorne brand. However, from what I have found after weeks of perusal on the internet parameters, is that my capital I prefix to the serial number on my bottom bracket was never used by either of those two companies.

View attachment 263760

The alphabet letter followed by four numerical digits is for sure before 1930, likely late 'teens or 20's. And was possibly used by the Westfield Co. manufacturer. But that is still undetermined.

There are some slight frame differences, like the slope of the top tube which varies from more of an angle to a more rounded curve. Also the junction of the seat tube, down tube, and chain stays at the BB can be telltales, I guess.

I'm not super interested in nailing down all the specifics of this bike's origin, technical wise. But it does have a history, and that will be played out in this thread along the way!

RaT oN~!

I think MonkeyWards used just about all of the manufacturers over the years. For the ID experts on these motobikes, every detail can help them narrow it down. Fork crown design, fender shape, etc. Whatever it is, it's cool.

Day 3

I won't add much text here, the video update says it all. If you have around 7 minutes to spare in your day, it will bring you up to speed; the key word being 'speed' as in OddJob build speed! :bigsmile:

EDIT: I misspoke in the video relating that I went to see my mom on Monday, it was actually Wednesday, the first day of the build off. I'm old, and I was really excited at the moment! :nod:

View attachment 264130View attachment 264129View attachment 264132View attachment 264131View attachment 264132View attachment 264133View attachment 264128

That is great news on the wheels and how well it rides for you already. Fun to hear the excitement in your voice on this beauty. It's almost ready for a cyclocross race now!!

I would recommend a couple of light applications of boiled linseed oil buffed in. To me it gives it a much warmer and more natural finish and accomplishes the job that your after
Agreed, and second the recommendation. I read an article about BLO, seem the "boiling" process is actually oxygenation. The extra oxygen molecules work to restore the paint, and the oil preserves it. Scientifically speaking, it brings the paint back to life! Also, it isn't permanent like a clear coat, it wears off eventually, so no harm done to your survivor bike.

Agreed, and second the recommendation. I read an article about BLO, seem the "boiling" process is actually oxygenation. The extra oxygen molecules work to restore the paint, and the oil preserves it. Scientifically speaking, it brings the paint back to life! Also, it isn't permanent like a clear coat, it wears off eventually, so no harm done to your survivor bike.
Now if I can just find some linseeds to boil...

Day 5

It was a beautiful high 60's temp and a dry wind blowing through the BACK40 yesterday. Perfect weather for some patina painting!

As stated in my video update, the original stem and bars for this motobike are cool, but the stem is bent, and they were made for a growing adolescent, not a full grown man. The width between grips on the originals is 17.5". My replacements are 24.5" wide, right on the cusp of being perfect. But the replacement bars needed some RaT-ification to fit in with the aged patina of the bike. And, I wanted to add the cross bar to simulate the original bars as well. Here is the play by play, photo / text style.

Bought a piece of aluminum tubing, 1/2" x 39" long. Measured and cut to length. Flattened the ends like the original bar brace.
cross bar hole 2.jpg

Used my angle grinder to start the slots in the bars, and then drilled a series of holes to ream out the rest.

I was able to get the brace started on one side, and then pushed and tapped with a rubber mallet and the brace slid right in. Next step was to move out to the 'paint booth' and put the bars in my old 1988 Park Tool stand, converted a few years back to my painting 'holder'.

bare cross bars 2.jpg

Here are the 'Four Cans of the Rust-pocalypse'. First application is the wall texture spray.

four rattle cans of the rustpocolypse.jpg

orange peel knockdown spray.jpg

After that dried, it was on to the base color. I noticed that the chrome on the original bars, and cranks and such, had turned a golden hue from age, no longer a silver chrome. So I used these two in combination, first the Duplicolor Metalcast smoke and then a light coat of the Champagne Metallic Bronze, both cans left over from previous builds.

bar color layer.jpg

When those dried, I added mustard to the spots where I wanted the base bar color to show through. This is the opposite of the way I had done it before, usually I apply the rust-ification mix and then mustard where I want the rust-ina to show through. But since I wanted these mostly rust, I flipped the process.

color layer and mustard 2.jpg

So after I apply my Four Rust-pocalypse colors, where the mustard is now, is where the smoke chrome / bronze will show through. Next I sprayed the combo of Black, Multi-texture Autumn, and Satin Cinnamon to varying degrees over the bars.

bars full rustify before wash.jpg

Left this to dry for about 15 minutes, and then hosed off the bars and the mustard covered spots.

Here is the result, original bars in back, rust-ified bars in the front.

bar result 1.jpg

bars compare in line.jpg

Then a quick mock up on the bike. These might not be in the final form yet, but they're close.

bar result 2.jpg

Attachments

• Bars close up.jpg
    Bars close up.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 0
So, the mystery game of 'RRB Clue' that we have been playing on the 'sniffing BO 19 ' thread up to this point, is trying to determine the manufacturer of this Hawthorne De Luxe motobike. Both the Cleveland Welding Co and Snyder / DP Harris produced motobikes for the Montgomery Wards Hawthorne brand. However, from what I have found after weeks of perusal on the internet parameters, is that my capital I prefix to the serial number on my bottom bracket was never used by either of those two companies.

View attachment 263760

The alphabet letter followed by four numerical digits is for sure before 1930, likely late 'teens or 20's. And was possibly used by the Westfield Co. manufacturer. But that is still undetermined.

There are some slight frame differences, like the slope of the top tube which varies from more of an angle to a more rounded curve. Also the junction of the seat tube, down tube, and chain stays at the BB can be telltales, I guess.

I'm not super interested in nailing down all the specifics of this bike's origin, technical wise. But it does have a history, and that will be played out in this thread along the way!

RaT oN~!
The bike is looking great!

My Snyder lists have both factorys listed. Little Falls, NY begins in 1914, then adds Michigan City, IN in 1932.

"I" shows as 1922, made in the NY factory. With that in mind, I searched for a 1922 Hawthorne. I only found one pic with the same chain wheel, but the auction page wouldn't let me copy the image unless I bought something.

Latest posts

Back