The Huffman Build you don't want to miss(Bike Show #2!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Huffman Build you don't want to miss(HUGE UPDATE!!!)

None of my LBS can do that :roll: I have asked Before, None of them have the right machine!

Are the bars chromed :?: :?: I can't tell from the pic :?

I've been really busy so I haven't been posting but don't think I haven't been breezing through once in a while.
it's looking really cool, really like the chain guard! very cool.
I've been wanting to build a leaf spring fork so I'll be watching. :mrgreen:

37fleetwood said:
I've been really busy so I haven't been posting but don't think I haven't been breezing through once in a while.
it's looking really cool, really like the chain guard! very cool.
I've been wanting to build a leaf spring fork so I'll be watching. :mrgreen:
Your gunna thanks me because I just found out I have to shorten my springer 5 inches because of the way it works. I will save you the trouble by you watch my mistakes! Hahaha

oh I know! the springs and strings fork on last years build took some thought to get right. :lol:

Wow man what a bike!
I just read the hole thread and:
1- Love were you live, never seen snow in person, so go figure...
2- That leaf fork is awesome, I would love to do something like that one day.
3- Chain guard lettering and signature... off the hook!
4- Let us know how you do with that back wheel, I´m a little scared of trying putting my first one together. :?
5- Cant wait to see this Rat done!!! Keep up the good work! :wink:

Gdcast said:
Wow man what a bike!
I just read the hole thread and:
1- Love were you live, never seen snow in person, so go figure...
2- That leaf fork is awesome, I would love to do something like that one day.
3- Chain guard lettering and signature... off the hook!
4- Let us know how you do with that back wheel, I´m a little scared of trying putting my first one together. :?
5- Cant wait to see this Rat done!!! Keep up the good work! :wink:
Thanks man, stay tuned! :lol:

don't panic about the rear wheel, I just re-laced my 3 speed rear and it's no big deal. key to the whole project is having another wheel sitting there for reference.

step one, look at the wheel and notice that the holes are staggered.

step two, start by the valve stem hole and go every other hole on one side of the hub and every other hole that is on the same side as the side of the hub you're on (every four holes). screw the nipples onto the spokes the same basic amount, not all the way on.

step three, looking at your other rim go the other way using your other rim to count how many holes between the spokes. remember to come in from the other side of the hub with the spokes. good practice would be to model the new rim after the already built hub.

step four, repeat the same thing on the other side.

step five, go around the wheel and start tensioning the spokes. probably one full revolution each at first would be good. once you get all the way around, if the spokes are still loose go around again.

step six, mount the wheel in a frame or fork or a truing stand if you have one. no tire just the rim. give it a spin and see how bad it wobbles or bobs up and down.

step seven, if most of the spokes are snug, go around and snug up any loose spokes until all the spokes are the same tension. it is important to remind you that it is important that you start with the spoke nipples at basically the same amount of length. it's not super critical but get at least close or your wheel could bob up and down. while you go around spin the wheel and adjust any wobble and bob. for bob adjust a few spokes in either direction of the high point, for wobble adjust spokes on the side you want to pull the wheel toward. always feel by pinching two spokes to make sure no spokes get super tight.

step eight, final tension is achieved by going around one last time making sure the spokes are all tight and the wheel is straight. pinch all the pairs of spokes at the "V" where they cross. use a good wheel to get an idea how tight is good.

the key is to go slowly and spin the wheel often. it's nice if you use the frame so you can get the rim basically centered. since the wheel is a coaster brake and there are no brake pads to worry about mostly straight, and mostly centered is fine. most old bikes with old wheels wobble a little and it doesn't hurt anything

Yes! Very helpful indeed, I think I´ll need this form my next build, Thanks for posting! :wink:

The fork is so close to being done! All I have left to do make the rods to come down from the spring to the drop-outs. Also I got a headlight that is 9v LED that puts out a killer beam! Just ask Rob he has one too. :wink:

And I Took a pic of the lock that was on my seat. How cool is that? :lol:

P2070389.jpg

P2070387-1.jpg

P2070388-1.jpg

P2070393.jpg

P2070394.jpg

P2070395.jpg

Here is one already done on my grandfathers bike :roll:

P2070391.jpg

P2070392.jpg

Re: The Huffman Build you don't want to miss(*Update 2-7*)

It's coming along great, yes, that light is great! Very bright and the quality is excellent.
It was originally sold by Restoration Hardware 'back in the day' (they also used to sell a SWEET Worksman cruiser). The light and fork on DonOne's Spitfire looks great. I hope to take a spin on both of these this weekend!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I hope to take a spin on both of these this weekend!

Mee too. Right now I'm just trying to get everything put together so it will be rideable for the show! :roll:

Looks great Tyler :wink:

Back