Springer Fork, comfort or style? (poll)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springer Fork, comfort or style?

• Comfort

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Style

Votes: 36 81.8%

• Total voters

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Got to thinking the other day about springer forks, they sure are cool, but is it more cool than comfort?

Why do you put them on your bikes... or not?

I was given a BFK and immediately thought, "That's a cool looking springer." then was very surprised at the comfort when I rode it, so I'm kind of split on the issue.

What's your thoughts?

I was attracted to them for the style, and then was surprisingly pleased with the comfort.
If they were ugly, then I wouldn't be interested.

For me it's a little bit of both. They add a lot to the cool factor but also make for a smoother and more enjoyable ride. so I say BOTH! :mrgreen:

style

i have a motto on my one of my bikes

yes it hurts,
but doesn`t it look cool

When I got my first bike I imediatly wanted one of those lowrider forks, when I rode I had tightened the spring so it didn't help comfort but it looked cool, when I finally got it loosened up I noticed a bit of a difference and makes for a better ride...I say both. :D

I knew a lot of people would say "both" and I was going to make that a poll option, but I thought it was too easy. So, you have to choose, one must win over the other.

The only springer-style fork I've ever felt comfortable with was an old Schwinn model. It was much better built than the Taiwan chrome thing that came on the front of that bike, which would wander around and shudder on fast downhills - not confidence-inspiring.

Bill Cosby did a routine where he compared a 10 speed to a Columbia from the 50's, when he got to the springer, he said "It doesn't do anything".

Anyone who rides on sidewalks as much as I do should really appreciate a springer. My Dyno doesn't have one yet, but the fat tires help in the meantime.

Style is nice,
But Comfort is King!
:mrgreen:

Both. I ride mostly on dirt roads up north and they really smooth things out. (at least the Schwinn style does) But they look cool too. Couldn't vote, but looks is probably my pick. Or comfort.

yoothgeye said:
What's your thoughts?
Schwinn style great for one speed coaster bikes, you get both benefits, at the cost of weightiness and possibly a little imprecision when charging the spring. If you're into front brakes and gears, use a suspended MTB type. 8)

Latest posts

Back